Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
It is to your loss that none of these exist in Canada:

www.wafflehouse.com
It is to your loss that none of these exist in USA:

Home | DeDutch | Pancakes Restaurant | Breakfast Restaurant Vancouver | Pancake Brunch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 02:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:

www.wafflehouse.com
Not so sure its a loss as its just a burgers and pancakes joint , ,we do have similar options here in Canada, 2 come to mind

Chez Cora.
Restaurants - Cora
La belle Province.
Restaurant La Belle Province in Canada | YellowPages.ca™

Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I've noticed that you post all kinds of kooky and flat-out incorrect stuff on this forum on a fairly regular basis. How are we supposed to know when you are joking? Why don't you do us all a favour and take a hike.
Sorry I took a hike today. No seriously just the general idea of "You guys need more chipotle's and trader Joes in Canada" how does that sound to you, does that sound like i'm dead serious, no it doesn't, I'm just saying gee you guys could use more of those places reasons why I say that is because well those are my favorite places to go to eat and shop and many Canadians cross the border to go to trader joes not nessarily chipotle though but you guys only have like 3 in the Toronto area.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
There are many reasons people are on this forum seemingly 24/7, my excuse is i'm retired and have no life and the kids have their own computers Whats your excuse cali?
Maybe i'll go sit at the local mall food court today with all the other old fogies, maybe i'll bring up this topic, while i'm doing something like this for lunch.
so what's your point you like to eat sandwiches? Anyways I said some, next time read my post better before you start jabbing your mouth.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:

www.wafflehouse.com
We don't need those because I take posts to seriously. We are fine with our stores even though there is a long line to go to America every day to shop and eat.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Cali ya gotta give this chit a rest.

Americans have been coming to Canada for generations for a variety of reasons.

Owning a home in the Kawarthas is still a perk for many rich Americans. Shopping was even a very frequent experience for Americans when the dollar exchange was something like $1.30 Can for every U.S. dollar.

The same reasons exist now for Canadians that existed then for Americans; it's all about the savings AND the variety. Sometimes people just like a change from their normal stuff.

Now as to Jambo's contribution:

Montreal-style smoked meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It ain't just a sandwich!

You want some real Montreal smoked meat; you'll just have to come to Montreal to get it. Nearly every trip I made with my RV to the RGV or Yuma area I had American friends begging me to smuggle unsliced whole sections of Montreal smoked meat across the border for them.

Canadian Foods » J.J.'s Complete Guide to Canada

You haven't lived until you have a real Tortiere prepared by a grandmother aged Quebec resident using a passed down recipe well over a hundred years old.

Maybe some Caribou at the Winter Carnival:

Caribou (drink) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We won't even start talking about the fresh fish varieties that are still safe to eat up here.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:

www.wafflehouse.com
I don't know about the rest of Canada, but it would bomb in Quebec. Badly.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I don't know about the rest of Canada, but it would bomb in Quebec. Badly.
Probably bomb in the ROC also. There, you'll find Smitty's, which is all-Canadian. Of course, if you've got a hankering for a more American-style pancakes and waffles diner experience, there's Denny's (frequently) and IHOP (less frequently). In short, the Waffle House would have to compete in an established market.

Much like Krispy Kreme tried, but ultimately failed, to compete in a Canadian market that included Tim Hortons, Coffee Time, and Country Style, among others.

If Canadians go to Chipotle's in the US (note that I didn't say "flock to"), I'd suggest that the reason is that they are hungry, Chipotle's is a restaurant, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to add two and two together. No doubt, they also go to Applebee's, to the Cracker Barrel, and to TGI Friday's. Heck, on daytrips to the US, if I'm just plain hungry and there's a place handy, I'll stop there to eat. Bonus points if it's something I'm familiar with from home (Denny's, Applebee's, IHOP); but if it's not, if I've heard of it (Cracker Barrel, TGI Friday's, and yes, Chipotle's), I'll try it anyway.

If I wanted to go to the US for the sole reason of eating something really special and one-of-a-kind, I'd head for independent restaurants in New York, San Francisco, New Orleans, or Chicago; where I'll have a cocktail, choose a bottle of wine from an extensive wine list, and enjoy a meal that was uniquely made for me. If I'm in the US for the day and want a pleasant, though not necessarily over-the-top lunch simply because I'm hungry, I'll head for a trusted chain operation. I'd suggest that Americans visiting Canada for the day do the same at Swiss Chalet, Boston Pizza, and similar Canadian chains.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Probably bomb in the ROC also. There, you'll find Smitty's, which is
all-Canadian. Of course, if you've got a hankering for a more American-style
pancakes and waffles diner experience, there's Denny's (frequently) and IHOP
(less frequently). In short, the Waffle House would have to compete in an
established market.
Lol, Quebecers are dreadful foodies and we don't DO waffles. We do French crepes. And chili? That's something you only see at Wendy's. It looks like a cup of red soup.

Sure, if I'm in the States and I'm hungry, I'll go to whatever is closest and won't kill me. The chains are a pretty safe bet.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 AM

Oh, I was taking a long walk today and came across a new Indian place on Somerled. Get this...Butter Chicken Poutine! Two of my favourite things in one hot gooey mess!
Unfortunately, I wasn't hungry at the time, but intend to try it soon. I'll give you my review.
You can't go wrong with Butter Chicken. Or poutine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada