Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
LMAO .... That's got to be the funniest thing I have read in a while!
Its been one of those days that needs an injection of humor,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
I'd suggest that those two cities would definitely offer some of the highest living standards in the world, and I like their cold winters, so I would enjoy living there for more reasons than one. I much prefer snowy winters to rainy winters (like the ones I have now - yawn), and weather is a rather negligible factor when it comes to quality of life - look at how highly the Nordics rank in quality of life surveys despite being so cold, and how poorly places like Spain and Portugal compare..

I don't agree with the ranking though. If you are including immigration, tolerance, talent and amenitites, then London, Paris and New York will top. Even including quality of life, where bigger cities may fall short, I would not place Seattle or Ottawa above London, New York, Paris, Berlin or Madrid, as a few examples. They are all highly developed cities in highly developed countries, but are clearly very exciting places and I would wager that they have a lot more to see and do than Calgary or Tel Aviv.. while providing a good quality of life.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'd suggest that those two cities would definitely offer some of the highest living standards in the world, and I like their cold winters, so I would enjoy living there for more reasons than one. I much prefer snowy winters to rainy winters (like the ones I have now - yawn), and weather is a rather negligible factor when it comes to quality of life - look at how highly the Nordics rank in quality of life surveys despite being so cold, and how poorly places like Spain and Portugal compare..
Good points. And not everyone in the world likes hot weather. Different strokes for different folks.

Some people prefer it to be cool or even cold because at least you can add layers to adapt to it. Once you reach bare skin in really hot weather - it's still scorching hot. There is no way around it except for air conditioning of course, and what's the use of having hot weather if you are always indoors in the AC?

While the prospect of warm sunny days year round is appealing, most of the places that have fairly warm climates (except for very rare places like Hawaii which are always between 20-30 C) will make you pay dearly for the privilege with scorching heat and suffocating humidity for a good portion of the year.

Personally I like the changes in seasons, and I love hot and sunny summers with many days around 30C. I couldn't live in a place where a summer day has a max of 18 C, which is not a real summer for me.

On the other I am OK with winter and the gradual cooling off and then the arrival of snow is nice, although in my region it does tend to overstay its welcome and by March I am ready for spring.

The change in seasons is also good in that it brings renewal and change that is especially exhilarating in the spring. And everybody will tell you the summer months in places with cold winters are a lot of fun because it's seen as a special season that you have to take advantage of to its maximum.

It's not really the case in places where the weather is basically the same from one day to the next, and especially one season to the next.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 AM

We are in agreement on that AJ.. i dont like weather where i'm sweating just sitting in the shade, my 20+ years spent in Florida mostly construction jobs and having to endure temps in the mid 90's and all the humidity everyday for 8-9 months a year cured me of liking hot weather, to me a winter day is always preferable. I'm dreading my upcoming end of September trip to Florida, its going to still be full summer down there,i can only hope Mom and Dad have that A/C unit set at 70..

Old 08-22-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We are in agreement on that AJ.. i dont like weather where i'm sweating just sitting in the shade, my 20+ years spent in Florida mostly construction jobs and having to endure temps in the mid 90's and all the humidity everyday for 8-9 months a year cured me of liking hot weather, to me a winter day is always preferable. I'm dreading my upcoming end of September trip to Florida, its going to still be full summer down there,i can only hope Mom and Dad have that A/C unit set at 70..
In the vast majority of warm places in the world, there is a price to be paid for 18-22C days in midwinter, and that's stifling heat during the summer months and even beyond.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM

331 posts, read 592,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In the vast majority of warm places in the world, there is a price to be paid for 18-22C days in midwinter, and that's stifling heat during the summer months and even beyond.
Good example: Phoenix

Nice mild winters but the summers

Old 08-23-2013, 07:43 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
and weather is a rather negligible factor when it comes to quality of life - look at how highly the Nordics rank in quality of life surveys despite being so cold, and how poorly places like Spain and Portugal compare..
Weather is probably negligible when it comes to those expert arbitrary "rankings", in when it comes to real people, it usually is very important. Those quality of life rankings, let's just ignore them - they are out of touch with reality and only use a fixed set of standards.

Weather not important? I have heard so many people reject the idea of moving to Canada due to the cold and long winters. that's a fact. And if I left someday, it would be largely because of the long winters as well.

Speaking of Nordic countries, they are mostly not as cold as most Canadian cities such as Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal/Calgary. Oslo/Stockholm has warmer winter than Toronto, not to mention the other CA cities. We probably can't find any large EU cities that are as cold as Montreal/Ottawa/Calgary.

Spain and Portugal, well, this has more to do with how they managed their economy and has nothing to do with weather. I don't know why you bring them up. Norway has a per capita GDP of $100,000, compared with 30K and 20K for Spain and Portugal. It has higher quality of life because it is much richer.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Weather is probably negligible when it comes to those expert arbitrary "rankings", in when it comes to real people, it usually is very important. Those quality of life rankings, let's just ignore them - they are out of touch with reality and only use a fixed set of standards.

Weather not important? I have heard so many people reject the idea of moving to Canada due to the cold and long winters. that's a fact. And if I left someday, it would be largely because of the long winters as well.

Speaking of Nordic countries, they are mostly not as cold as most Canadian cities such as Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal/Calgary. Oslo/Stockholm has warmer winter than Toronto, not to mention the other CA cities. We probably can't find any large EU cities that are as cold as Montreal/Ottawa/Calgary.

Spain and Portugal, well, this has more to do with how they managed their economy and has nothing to do with weather. I don't know why you bring them up. Norway has a per capita GDP of $100,000, compared with 30K and 20K for Spain and Portugal. It has higher quality of life because it is much richer.
I agree that weather does factor into quite a few people's decisions about where to live but I would argue that it probably bears *too much of an influence*.

Most people do not require (and would not take advantage of) a warm sunny beach regularly enough for it to be a deal-breaker about where they live.

I mean, if you look at places like Ontario and Quebec, if people were so unhappy being cooped up inside during winter how come they aren't eating dinner outside every single day of the summer - or even once a week? But most people in Ontario and Quebec don't eat outside and take advantage of the good weather, right? They do it a few times on warm spring days because of the novelty and then they go back to their indoor habits. How many people are eating dinner outdoors or taking advantage of the good weather in Nice tonight? Or Myrtle Beach? Or Hawaii? As a total percentage of population? Not that many.

The truth is, only a fraction of us really take advantage of the good weather, whether it occurs four months a year or 12 months a year. And in places like Canada, those taking advantage of the good summer weather are almost always those who take advantage of the snow as well in the wintertime.

For the vast vast majority of people, their lives and lifestyles would not really change if they were to live in Miami as opposed to Toronto.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:23 AM

A video that i think is appropriate for those moving just for the weather..
Mock interview of someone who wants to move to Florida. - YouTube

Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As for Calgary and Ottawa being the best places to live, i'd also have to vigorously disagree,Digby NS and Nanaimo BC would be preferable IMO
Wow. As a born and bred Nova Scotian, even I'd have to question that particular choice. You'd really have to want to live in a place where nothing is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada