Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,507,464 times

Advertisements

Quebec election call: federal political dance begins - Politics - CBC News

The Quebec separatist party calls an April 7 election, with no credible opposition they are assured a majority win whereby they can enact any legislation they want including obviously a call for another referendum on Quebec leaving Canada, this could be the beginning phases of Quebec actually leaving Canada,
They have my full support in that endeavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:58 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,672,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

The Quebec separatist party calls an April 7 election, with no credible opposition they are assured a majority win whereby they can enact any legislation they want including obviously a call for another referendum on Quebec leaving Canada, this could be the beginning phases of Quebec actually leaving Canada,
In an election, no one is ever assured anything. It will be interesting though to see what happens. It may just be a replay of the same old, same old. Quebeckers who may vote PQ but don't support separation.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 PM

230 posts, read 537,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

With all due respect, your post is very misinformed. Then again, Anglos tend to have an entirely skewed view of the Quebec situation. A lot of it is based on hate and racism if you ask me, but I digress..

As the other poster has already mentioned, there are many, many Quebeckers that vote PQ come election time, yet don't support separation at all. You really need to spend some time there to understand that the 'sovereignty' movement really is almost a farce in a lot of ways. It's not that they actually want to separate, it's more that a lot of them have an idealistic, romantic conception of Quebec as being distinct and want to retain that distinctiveness as much as possible. The movement may have been militant in the 60s but not anymore at all.

As for the referendum, it's not going to happen. It just isn't. Marois knows better than to go near that can of worms.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:00 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,607,599 times
If Quebec was stronger economically so that it could survive as an independent nation without any doubts, does anyone think the independence movement would be more serious? Instead of just playing a card like it seems to be nowadays.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:18 PM

64 posts, read 91,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
If Quebec was stronger economically so that it could survive as an independent nation without any doubts, does anyone think the independence movement would be more serious? Instead of just playing a card like it seems to be nowadays.
Maybe. But some independent countries like Ireland are in a far worse position than Quebec.

Even if that was the case though I still don't think Quebec would Secede.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:37 PM

The PQs whole core raison d'etre is separation, And if they get that political majority i have no doubt that they will call a referendum..

Old 03-05-2014, 03:45 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,556,543 times
If Quebec were to separate do you think there would be a period where anyone who wants to switch to Quebec (from another province) could before it went autonomous?

Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
With all due respect, your post is very misinformed. Then again, Anglos tend to have an entirely skewed view of the Quebec situation. A lot of it is based on hate and racism if you ask me, but I digress..

As the other poster has already mentioned, there are many, many Quebeckers that vote PQ come election time, yet don't support separation at all. You really need to spend some time there to understand that the 'sovereignty' movement really is almost a farce in a lot of ways. It's not that they actually want to separate, it's more that a lot of them have an idealistic, romantic conception of Quebec as being distinct and want to retain that distinctiveness as much as possible. The movement may have been militant in the 60s but not anymore at all.

As for the referendum, it's not going to happen. It just isn't. Marois knows better than to go near that can of worms.
Where am i mis informed? is there not going to be an election on April 7, are the PQ not a separatist party? do you really think that with a majority government more draconian language legislation wont be forth coming?
Quebec wanting to be Distinct? the anglo population is down to 8% of Quebecs population, how many more Anglos have to leave Quebec before francophones come to the conclusion that they are in fact distinct?
Sovereignty movement a farce? Having a separatist government in power and about to get a majority doesnt strike me as sovereignty being a dead issue.
As for a referendum? IMO its coming and this time there wont be the outcry from the rest of Canada for Quebec to stay in Canada. Quebec may finally get what it wants. Vivre le....ah never mind. At this point its all speculation and opinion....

Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 PM

64 posts, read 91,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
If Quebec were to separate do you think there would be a period where anyone who wants to switch to Quebec (from another province) could before it went autonomous?
If Quebec left I could see a possible Domino effect. Quite the opposite.

For one unless Quebec gave Canada full access rights, the Maritimes would be in a bad spot. During the last referendum New Brunswick and Nova Scotia where in negotiations about joining the United States. To be quite honest, if Quebec gets full sovereign status the Maritimes would be forced to join the US.

The closest thing to Quebec in Canada is probably Alberta. While not entirely separatist, around 40% of people asked responded that they would be open to the idea of the west leaving Canada. This would be bad for Ontario as of right now the west is holding up the country as Ontario used too for decades. Ontario is just becoming/Became a have not province. Most careers are moving out west. Unlike Quebec, the western provinces could more then well hold their own better than second world countries. But I think the chances of BC and Alberta leaving are slim. Not sure how well BCers and Albertans would get along either, or who would be put in charge.

In short though no, if Quebec leaves it's on it's own. The Maritimes won't join it. And if it did leave, it would never rejoin Canada. History shows countries that break away from their parent countries never go back. It's just Human nature not to go back.

EDIT: Oh just realized You meant people moving. Yes defiantly. I imagine some may have to resign their Citizenship as well.

Last edited by Heinrich S; 03-05-2014 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,156,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post
The closest thing to Quebec in Canada is probably Alberta. While not entirely separatist, around 40% of people asked responded that they would be open to the idea of the west leaving Canada. This would be bad for Ontario as of right now the west is holding up the country as Ontario used too for decades. Ontario is just becoming/Became a have not province. Most careers are moving out west. Unlike Quebec, the western provinces could more then well hold their own better than second world countries. But I think the chances of BC and Alberta leaving are slim. Not sure how well BCers and Albertans would get along either, or who would be put in charge.
In 2014, what's a second world country? I thought that moniker had disappeared around 1990.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada