Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,452,777 times

Advertisements

Seems Quebec wants to separate from Canada yet keep all the benefits of being Canadaian. i would think if Quebec voted to separate Canadian attitudes would be such that those benefits would be terminated in short order.
However IMO Quebec calling for a referendum on separation is akin to talking the talk,actually voting to separate would be akin to walking the walk,something most separatists wont do as they know what side their bread is buttered on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 AM

26,886 posts, read 38,178,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems Quebec wants to separate from Canada yet keep all the benefits of being Canadaian. i would think if Quebec voted to separate Canadian attitudes would be such that those benefits would be terminated in short order.
However IMO Quebec calling for a referendum on separation is akin to talking the talk,actually voting to separate would be akin to walking the walk,something most separatists wont do as they know what side their bread is buttered on.
Anything new to say Jambo? These seem to be the same arguments from November 1976...

Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,452,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Anything new to say Jambo? These seem to be the same arguments from November 1976...
Rather pompous of you to think i'm submitting posts just for you to read..

That said whats your take on the upcoming provincial election, will the separatists get their majority? if they do do you have any doubt about a call for a forthcoming referendum on Quebec sovereignty, and how will you vote in both cases?
let me guess you'll vote for Pauline but you wont vote for separation..
I'll also vote for Pauline and will vote for Quebec separation.

Last edited by jambo101; 03-13-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,635,939 times
Quote:
I have trouble with " Seems Quebec wants to separate" . We are talking one political party, with polls stating 42 percent want to separate.

This of course can change. I personally don't believe there should even be a referendum UNTIL all the details of what separation entails is laid out. The belief that Quebec can keep passports, sit on the Bank of Canada board and expect no border controls is what is being used to sell it.
If people knew and understood, ON BOTH SIDES, what separation actually meant, then have the referendum. Otherwise you are selling dreams or nightmares.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-13-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 11:58 AM

I agree with this.

Pauline Marois

Old 03-13-2014, 12:13 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,150,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
No more of Quebec wagging the dog. I will be happy to see them go.
You might want to run that checklist through an editor who would actually try to make it sound like you do not want us to go. I am not a separatist, and your list would hurt my cause.

For what it's worth, we do not get CPP payments here. The QPP is an independently funded (and run) entity.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
You might want to run that checklist through an editor who would actually try to make it sound like you do not want us to go. I am not a separatist, and your list would hurt my cause.

For what it's worth, we do not get CPP payments here. The QPP is an independently funded (and run) entity.
These are the details that are missing in a lot of discussions on this issue. Most, I'll include myself, are ignorant on all the realities. Emotions, seem to rule the debate.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:31 PM

7,323 posts, read 9,376,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree with this.

Pauline Marois
Here's an opinion piece by Gwynne Dyer
Scotland might look at impact of Quebec's 'neverendums' - Winnipeg Free Press

Marois is off her rocker thinking that an independent Quebec would ever get a seat on the Bank of Canada. She is either very stupid or she thinks Quebecers are very stupid.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:22 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,546,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Here's an opinion piece by Gwynne Dyer
Scotland might look at impact of Quebec's 'neverendums' - Winnipeg Free Press

Marois is off her rocker thinking that an independent Quebec would ever get a seat on the Bank of Canada. She is either very stupid or she thinks Quebecers are very stupid.
She just doesn't care. Like so many other Separatists I've talked to, they simply look at the next bend in the road without any thought to the realities of tomorrow.

Last edited by BruSan; 03-13-2014 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 05:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,950,056 times
Quote:
Some more points to ponder.
If Quebec separates i wonder what the attitude would be from the rest of Canada and how much Canada would be willing to help this fledgling country,
My opinion would be that Canada and Canadians would be pissed off and wouldnt be eager to do business with Quebec.
IMO Just as Canada belongs to all Quebecers so Quebec belongs to all Canadians and isnt Quebecs to leave with, to just declare that we as Quebecers are going to take this large chunk of Canada and become our own country with it is going to leave a very sour attitude with most Canadians.
In a declaration of independence Quebec will shirk its responsibility to the national debt,it will claim all federal assets for itself, hopefully it cant nationalize and freeze monies in banks in Quebec and it will self righteously give the middle finger to Canada.
Lawyers will make out big time for many years deciding what Quebec is actually entitled to leave with i very much doubt they will be allowed to leave Canada with the borders that are in place now and will ultimately end up with a map looking something like this=
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erences%29.png
This post does bring to surface the legal basis of a vote for Quebec Separation by the people of Quebec. Is that enough? Is it a vote that all Canadians can partake in or is just the people of Quebec. If they (The people of Quebec) do vote for independence, I think that it would only be the beginning of a huge legal battle back and forth. Does this mean other Provinces can also hold their own votes for secession based on Provincial laws giving them the legal right as well. At what point is Canada a part of this whole thing.. last I looked it involves us too.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-13-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada