Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Référendum : une majorité de Québécois voteraient non | Élections Québec 2014 | ICI.Radio-Canada.ca

Translation: if there was a referendum today, would you vote YES or NO?

YES: 39%
NO: 61%

That was actually the exact same poll you quoted, saying the Libs and PQ are neck and neck. Not sure how you interpret the result above but to me that clearly says that the majority of Quebecers want to stay in Canada. Actually, depending on how you define "union", most of the remaining 39% would likely want to maintain an economic (i.e. free trade) and customs union with Canada after independence.
I read the polling results and wondered about those Quebecers who would not vote for separation and wondered if it was because they were staunch Canadian patriots proud of their francophone heritage in Quebec but Canadians first and foremost...
Or were they Francophones who dont particularly like or identify with Canada and just dont want to give up the benefits that the federal government provides them, things like healthcare,unemployment insurance,pensions, federal jobs etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
or you - I totally agree, get out lol.. It is getting under your skin.. The rest of us outside of Quebec don't worry about this stuff like you do
You're more than welcome in Toronto - we have a condo with your name on it

Thanks for the offer but Its looking like Kingston as we seem to be going there frequently.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:20 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Does the PQ want to nationalize Quebec's industries? Have they ever wanted to?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There are no stated plans to nationalize anything at this time. The political class has generally moved away from this since the 1980s and 1990s. This includes both Quebec and other parts of Canada.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
You are getting ahead of the game Chris, first they have to win a majority,if they do then they have to call a referendum on separation,then they have to get a mandate by winning the referendum and declaring separation, then they can start thinking about where the mon ey is coming from..
I doubt they could nationalize federal banks but Quebec does have a couple of its own bank type institutions, The Caisse Populare and the Laurentienne Bank

Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are getting ahead of the game Chris, first they have to win a majority,if they do then they have to call a referendum on separation,then they have to get a mandate by winning the referendum and declaring separation, then they can start thinking about where the mon ey is coming from..
I doubt they could nationalize federal banks but Quebec does have a couple of its own bank type institutions, The Caisse Populare and the Laurentienne Bank
To be honest, I am not sure what point you are trying to make here. As AJ said, there are no plans to nationalize anything (more) in Quebec, as it would be political suicide. Hydroelectricity production and distribution are already nationalized, and nobody wants to change that. Wine and spirits distribution and physical (as opposed to online) gambling are nationalized; some want to change that but that's unlikely to be economically feasible. Is it your belief that the PQ would nationalize banks to make up for lost equalization payments following separation???

Old 03-19-2014, 05:15 PM

Not really trying to make any point just trying to give a response to post 133

Old 03-20-2014, 01:49 AM

I thought the question in 133 was about nationalizing banks and not industries,, oh well i guess i miss read the post. As it is about industry i can now make a point that a country wanting to nationalize its industries depending on how far the country wants to go with it is a country following the concepts of Communism..

Quote:
com·mu·nism

: a way of organizing a society in which the government owns the things that are used to make and transport products (such as land, oil, factories, ships, etc.) and there is no privately owned property

Last edited by jambo101; 03-20-2014 at 03:06 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 03:26 AM

Uh oh,, Couillard pulling ahead in the polls..
Quebec election: Poll finds Liberals surging over PQ | Toronto Star

Old 03-22-2014, 09:16 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thanks for the offer but Its looking like Kingston as we seem to be going there frequently.
Great choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada