Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:07 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I grew up in B.C. and have always spelled it " doughnuts ".

As for Tim Hortons, my generation did not grow up with Tim Hortons and didn't even know they existed. They didn't come out west to B.C. until I believe the 1980's and were not numerous until about 15 years or so ago.

I never liked them. The doughnuts are too full of air and have a manufactured taste.

The doughnuts I grew up on were either homemade or bought from local bakeries. Occasionally we ate those icing sugar coated ones that came in packages.

When Krispy Kreme opened…out in the burbs, someone brought some in to work. The almost unanimous reaction was that they were horrible. Way, way too sweet for most palates. Perhaps that's why years later, there still is only one Krispy Kreme in all of B.C.
I find Tim Hortons in general very bland. From the coffee to the food.
You remind me that Tim Hortons is a fairly recent implantation in Quebec as well. As recently as the early 90s I remember people in Quebec making fun of Ontarians over their Tim Hortons obsession.

Dunkin Donuts (based in Boston I think) was the king of the coffee and donut scene in Quebec. They were all over the place, and I still remember their TV ads featuring Quebec celebrities like Rémy Girard (who played the main character in The Decline of the American Empire and The Barbarian Invasions).

Fast forward 20 years and Tim Hortons has completely beaten Dunkin Donuts to a pulp in Quebec. Tims are ubiquitous and hugely popular and DDs are now few and far between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 12:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,597,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You remind me that Tim Hortons is a fairly recent implantation in Quebec as well. As recently as the early 90s I remember people in Quebec making fun of Ontarians over their Tim Hortons obsession.

Dunkin Donuts (based in Boston I think) was the king of the coffee and donut scene in Quebec. They were all over the place, and I still remember their TV ads featuring Quebec celebrities like Rémy Girard (who played the main character in The Decline of the American Empire and The Barbarian Invasions).

Fast forward 20 years and Tim Hortons has completely beaten Dunkin Donuts to a pulp in Quebec. Tims are ubiquitous and hugely popular and DDs are now few and far between.
I forgot to add that a lot of doughnuts were sold in corner stores when I was a kid. They would have Cindies ( sp? ) which where much like a cinnamon bun but no raisins and flatter with a spot of red jelly in the outside centre, Long John's, and a fake eclair which was a Long John sliced open on it's side filled with whipped cream, and the only one of the group that had a hole in the middle, an iced doughnut.

They must of all comes from one bakery, but every corner store had them.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:39 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,541,243 times
I actually never see doughnuts anywhere in Canada except for in Tim Horton's. Practically no other place even makes them anymore, other types of pastries are sold at coffee shops and bakeries around town, but almost never doughnuts.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,346,330 times
A Krispy Kreme opened up by me but they didn't last long. People hated them.
WAY too sweet.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,346,330 times
With fabulous French patisseries on just about every corner, I can't imagine why anyone would eat doughnuts.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,717,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
My Canadian friends always told me Tim Horton's was the best place for donuts, better than Krispy Kreme. Well I finally got the chance to put them to the test and they were all lying to me!! Lying, I say!! Tim Horton's donuts taste just like Dunkin' Donuts which are clearly inferior to Krispy Kreme.

I feel robbed! Betrayed! Let down! Hoodwinked!!

I also ate there every day on my drive through B.C and Yukon but THAT'S IRRELEVANT!! Krispy Kreme is better!
Never have liked Krispy Kreme...it's like eating puffed up sugar fried air.....and I live in the home area of the chain. (More than once we left the bars to go watch them make donuts in down-town Raleigh)....so one can only assume that is exactly how they are supposed to be.

Dunkin used to be better....Tim Hortons were good the last time I had them.....but you still can't beat a small hometown bakery. Blows KK away.

That being said....KK does a lot of good fund raising partner ships.....and I love the story of the man dying of cancer who said that on his bucket list was to steal a KK truck and give free donuts...KK loaned him a truck and let him drive around giving away donuts. Very kewl.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
beigne
Beignet

Old 04-04-2014, 08:05 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,602,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
With fabulous French patisseries on just about every corner, I can't imagine why anyone would eat doughnuts.
I've read somewhere that Canada has the most doughnut shops per capita than any country in the world. Like I said earlier, not my kind of food, but they are very popular.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:19 PM

328 posts, read 999,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Tim's doughnuts were great back when they made them from scratch, every day in each location. Since the change to the central manufacturing of the dough they have gone way down IMO. I don't like their coffee either. It's the only coffee I have ever had that irritates my entire GI tract. About ten years ago I changed from my morning coffee and doughnut at Tim's to a bottomless coffee, muffin and free newspaper at MacDonald's.

This I will never understand. A company makes a quality product and then has to go muck it up. So many companies change and they never consult the customers. I get that Tim's probably had to go this way as it has expanded over the years to offer a more diverse product line. I wish that these companies would consult their customers when they make these changes to their products but that will never happen. It is always about the bottom line.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
This I will never understand. A company makes a quality product and then has to go muck it up. So many companies change and they never consult the customers. I get that Tim's probably had to go this way as it has expanded over the years to offer a more diverse product line. I wish that these companies would consult their customers when they make these changes to their products but that will never happen. It is always about the bottom line.
Yep....that is what got Dunkin' Donuts....they used to be good...but it became more about growth rates and cutting costs. I remember when even the Kroger store would have actual homemade donuts.

I just moved to a small town that still has a real donut bakery...it's nice to taste a true jelly filled, fritter, or even just a cake donut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada