Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:11 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Or else Canada can reform and give more power to Quebec. I don't know how it would work exactly but I would estimate that if Quebec (8m people) gained the same representation as Ontario (13m), it would put the need for seperatism to bed for a while.
Interesting you claim to understand Quebec but your solution is to boost Quebec's representation in the federal system, when no one has ever asked for that.

This is about autonomy, not representation. What Quebec wants is the powers to make its own decisions in those areas where that are important to them, and to share everything else with the rest of Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 09:09 PM

428 posts, read 450,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interesting you claim to understand Quebec but your solution is to boost Quebec's representation in the federal system, when no one has ever asked for that.

This is about autonomy, not representation. What Quebec wants is the powers to make its own decisions in those areas where that are important to them, and to share everything else with the rest of Canada.
It's the only thing that will work with keeping in Quebec in Canada.

Do you have any other solutions? There are none as far as I can tell. Only giving Quebec excessive political power would possibly put off seperatism long enough.

If this isn't good enough than only independence will satisfy Quebec. You know, most countries don't have these ridiculous conversations about placating dissidents. It's a huge embarrassment and no one seems to be getting anywhere. It's been lose lose since at least the late 80's.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
It's the only thing that will work with keeping in Quebec in Canada.

Do you have any other solutions? There are none as far as I can tell. Only giving Quebec excessive political power would possibly put off seperatism long enough.

Sounds like it would be another example of non-Quebecers telling Quebecers what they need, instead of actually of actually listening to what Quebecers have been saying for a change.

No one is asking for this - for more representation for Quebec in the Canadian federal government.

How much more representation could Quebec obtain anyway and how would this be beneficial?

Quebec has 24% of the seats in the House of Commons right now. How much are you going to boost this total up? You talked about the same level as Ontario which currently has about one third of the seats. How would this really help Quebec wield significantly more power since two thirds of the seats would still be from outside Quebec? And how would this be fair to the other provinces as well, who would have representation and weight below their share of the population?

The only real solution is to devolve more powers to the Government of Quebec in the areas that are important and desirable for it to exercise those powers alone.

I know this is anathema to you because you don't trust the Government of Quebec (to say the least) but everything else being proposed - by you and others - is just a futile attempt to square the circle.

That peg won't fit in that hole. Trust me. I've looked at it from every angle over the past 25 years.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 PM

144 posts, read 134,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sounds like it would be another example of non-Quebecers telling Quebecers what they need, instead of actually of actually listening to what Quebecers have been saying for a change.

No one is asking for this - for more representation for Quebec in the Canadian federal government.

How much more representation could Quebec obtain anyway and how would this be beneficial?

Quebec has 24% of the seats in the House of Commons right now. How much are you going to boost this total up? You talked about the same level as Ontario which currently has about one third of the seats. How would this really help Quebec wield significantly more power since two thirds of the seats would still be from outside Quebec? And how would this be fair to the other provinces as well, who would have representation and weight below their share of the population?

The only real solution is to devolve more powers to the Government of Quebec in the areas that are important and desirable for it to exercise those powers alone.

I know this is anathema to you because you don't trust the Government of Quebec (to say the least) but everything else being proposed - by you and others - is just a futile attempt to square the circle.

That peg won't fit in that hole. Trust me. I've looked at it from every angle over the past 25 years.
And a ssignificative move of the political power to the provinces would probably satisfy Quebec, but this is like asking the king to kill him self, Ottawa will never ever want to promote that, especially if the other provinces agrees mostly with the current confederation.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
And a ssignificative move of the political power to the provinces would probably satisfy Quebec, but this is like asking the king to kill him self, Ottawa will never ever want to promote that, especially if the other provinces agrees mostly with the current confederation.
As I just said to jonathanc in another thread, this is a good example of why we are at impasse. With things altogether not so bad, most people are satisfied to wait-and-see and not rock the boat for the moment.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:29 PM

428 posts, read 450,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
This is exactly why it will never happen. It's not a realistic option. Realistically speaking the only choices for Quebec are to keep the status quo or win independence. Those are the only realistic choices.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:22 PM

202 posts, read 265,143 times
From an American point view and someone who has traveled to Quebec several times I'll sum up my opinion in a nutshell. I can see why Quebec would want to separate due to cultural and historical differences, but I don't think it's the best option.

Take the US to compare. When you think about it aren't Massachusetts and Vermont quite different when it comes to microculture and history compared to Texas and Arizona? How about Florida and Utah? Louisiana and Washington State? How about Kansas and Hawaii?

Like the US, Canada is a multicultural and bilingual country, which makes it beautiful.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:53 AM

202 posts, read 265,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz View Post
Are you actually comparing the differences between Quebec and the ROC to that of Massachusetts and Texas?
Why not? You really think the microculture and history of Texas and Massachusetts are the same? But probably a better comparison would be Hawaii and the rest of the US. Native Hawaiians don't have much in common culturally and historically, but despite the differences Hawaii does better as being a state within the US.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:35 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
Why not? You really think the microculture and history of Texas and Massachusetts are the same? But probably a better comparison would be Hawaii and the rest of the US. Native Hawaiians don't have much in common culturally and historically, but despite the differences Hawaii does better as being a state within the US.
Native Hawaiians are 10% of Hawaii's population of 1.5 million, and speak English at home, at work, and in school. There are only 2͵000 or so speakers of Hawaiian.

Of Quebec's population of 8 million, over 80% speak French at home, and at least another 10% are allophone immigrants who carry out their daily routine in French at work and in school. Perhaps 1/3 Quebecois can carry on a real conversation in English.

The Quebecois are entirely foreign to an English Canadian, much like the French are very foreign to an Englishman. The entire culture and mentality is very different. The differences between Quebec and Canada are far greater than the differences between Hawaii and the mainland. There is nothing in America that can compare to the differences between Quebec and Canada.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
This is exactly why it will never happen. It's not a realistic option. Realistically speaking the only choices for Quebec are to keep the status quo or win independence. Those are the only realistic choices.
You do not speak for all Canadians when you say greater autonomy for Quebec is and will always be non-starter.

In the 1960s no one could have imagined we'd have official bilingual at the level we have today, and even 20 years ago the progress that has been made on gay rights would have been difficult to predict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada