Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:26 PM

144 posts, read 134,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Still with this, let's just say it is very convenient for the anglo media to portray the issue in this way.

Thinking back, I've probably read close to 100 books on Quebec sovereignty and the independence movement over the years.

I know the goalposts may have moved slightly but from what I recall from 1995 these were some of the variables that made people more likely to vote one way or the other:

French Canadian origin: Oui
Non-French Canadian origin (even partial): Non
University educated: Oui
Business owner: Non
Union member: Oui
Practising Catholic: Non
Wealthy: Non
Female: Non
Male: Oui

In my experience, global travel and knowledge of English vs. knowledge of French only do not seem to correlate with anything. For example I know fluently bilingual separatists and I know unilingual francophone federalists.
Thanks for the nances, they are important, I believe.

As a non practicing catholic, quite almost fully bilingual french canadian male with an university degree (not union member though) I can confirm that I'm in a favor of sovereinty of Quebec, unless Justin makes constitutional miracles...who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:51 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
Thanks for the nances, they are important, I believe.

As a non practicing catholic, quite almost fully bilingual french canadian male with an university degree (not union member though) I can confirm that I'm in a favor of sovereinty of Quebec, unless Justin makes constitutional miracles...who knows.
I'd be extremely surprised if Justin Trudeau touched the constitution or the division of powers (federal vs. provincial) in any way.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:09 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
I'd be extremely surprised if Justin Trudeau touched the constitution or the division of powers (federal vs. provincial) in any way.
He shouldn't. Ask Mulroney how well Meech and Charlottetown ended for him.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
He shouldn't. Ask Mulroney how well Meech and Charlottetown ended for him.
That's been the strategy for several Canadian PMs in a row now. Eventually that sweeping of the issue under the carpet may come back to bite us in the butt.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:01 PM

579 posts, read 664,862 times
Quote:
That's been the strategy for several Canadian PMs in a row now. Eventually that sweeping of the issue under the carpet may come back to bite us in the butt.
Couillard may well end up signing the Constitution in secret... doing it overtly would bite the Feds in the butt and hence secrecy is key if Couillard wants to actually sign the Constitution.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Couillard may well end up signing the Constitution in secret... doing it overtly would bite the Feds in the butt and hence secrecy is key if Couillard wants to actually sign the Constitution.
It would be political suicide if he did that and it might provoke a huge political crisis in Quebec. I'd only see him doing it just before retiring if at all...

Old 10-26-2015, 01:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
What purpose would be served by Couillard signing the constitution?, and how could he possibly do it in secret?

Old 10-26-2015, 08:12 PM

144 posts, read 134,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What purpose would be served by Couillard signing the constitution?, and how could he possibly do it in secret?
Secretly is not an option, I think.....but signing the constitutiin, he was talking a lot about that before getting elected as PM. Did he realized the utopia or does he believe that it can be done and the population would follow him? and would Trudeau be willing to go that root? Probably not right now, but if his mandate goes well (Trudeau), I would not be surprised at all. Would it be political suicide? Maybe, or maybe not?

Old 10-27-2015, 12:51 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
There would be no purpose served. Today, Quebec is as bound by the constitution as Alberta, BC, and Nova Scotia are.

Quebecers have the same rights under the Constitution and Charter as other Canadians: the right to remain silent upon arrest (Charter s. 11(c)), to move to any province and pursue a living in that province (Charter s. 6(2)), and to vote for representatives in Parliament (Charter s. 3). Among other rights, of course. Quebec's signature on the Constitution is irrelevant; these rights are guaranteed to Quebecers without Quebec's signature.

The only possible purpose for "Quebec signing the Constitution" is a symbolic one: Quebec agrees with the rest of Canada, which may not sit well with some Quebecers, but is just fine with others. That's a matter for Quebecers to debate.

But legally and constitutionally speaking, Quebec's signature to Canada's constitution is unnecessary. The Constitution is, and remains, valid in all ten provinces, including Quebec.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
There would be no purpose served. Today, Quebec is as bound by the constitution as Alberta, BC, and Nova Scotia are.

Quebecers have the same rights under the Constitution and Charter as other Canadians: the right to remain silent upon arrest (Charter s. 11(c)), to move to any province and pursue a living in that province (Charter s. 6(2)), and to vote for representatives in Parliament (Charter s. 3). Among other rights, of course. Quebec's signature on the Constitution is irrelevant; these rights are guaranteed to Quebecers without Quebec's signature.

The only possible purpose for "Quebec signing the Constitution" is a symbolic one: Quebec agrees with the rest of Canada, which may not sit well with some Quebecers, but is just fine with others. That's a matter for Quebecers to debate.

But legally and constitutionally speaking, Quebec's signature to Canada's constitution is unnecessary. The Constitution is, and remains, valid in all ten provinces, including Quebec.
Indeed. For some reason there is a lingering inaccurate perception out there (in Quebec and even in the ROC sometimes) that the Constitution legally does not apply to Quebec because the province did not sign it.

Questions of symbolism and even political legitimacy are a whole other matter of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada