Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:41 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,540,055 times

Advertisements

So is Canada the black sheep of the city-data community or what?

Nope. Not by me anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 08:54 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
White flight, corruption and taking less and less interest in the community at large are typically the first steps toward eventual decline.

Oshawa may not be a utopia, but it is certainly comparable to Detroit for a number of reasons (being the headquarters of GM Canada and suffering the effects of a declining auto industry spring to mind). However, Oshwa is infinitely better off than Detroit on every measurable level. I suspect that is probably what has got your knickers in such a tight little knot right now.

Been to Detroit on several occasions. As you stated the suburbs are quite lovely (I especially enjoyed Novi). However, we weren't discussing Novi. The pictures I posted were taken within Detroit proper, and the abandoned ghetto within the city limits that most people speak poorly of. Hell, why am I explaining this to you? As a self-proclaimed expert on the city, you should know this.

All one has to do is drive into the Detroit's downtown from Sarnia, ON and you will be treated to the depressing sight of massive swaths of abandoned houses that individually represent another family's broken dreams, and collectively represent American decay in its most purest form. Now you can cry foul all you want, but that is the reality within the shell of a former city of over 2 million residents that has declined to less the 700,000 in recent years. We arrived downtown at around 15:00 on Saturday afternoon, and took a walk around the core to have a look around. The only people we saw in Detroit's "vibrant" downtown were other Canadians that arrived on the same bus as us. It was deserted to the point that I joked to my wife that maybe the residents were cowering in fear that C.H.U.D. were going to come crawling out of the sewers once the sun went down. But hey, after comparing the All American Coney to Lafayette's, we did eventually discover that the MGM Grand was packed to the gills with all those seemingly missing Detroit residents desperately gambling their hard-earned money away on the faint hope of winning enough to finally escape the D forever. It really wasn't hard to miss, seeing that it was pretty much the only activity in town involving more than a handful of residents.

I mean, what a truly beautiful, sophisticated and exciting place.
Ha ha ha ha, drive into DT Detroit from Sarnia? Nice grasp of geography!

Old 12-25-2014, 10:08 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Ha ha ha ha, drive into DT Detroit from Sarnia? Nice grasp of geography!
lol yeah that is of funny!!

Old 12-25-2014, 11:45 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
America sees itself as 'exceptional', 'the best', 'the richest', 'the most developed' and while non of that is true(far from it actually) Americans still believe they are entitled to it so they like to show their supposed superiority to other nations.

I would have lost my interest in CD a long time ago if this were not the case and it's also why I like to bring up places like Detroit, Flint, or Baltimore, those places do not seem quite so superior to me . It's hilarious and sad at the same time.
When i said 'the most developed' i meant development not quality of life when it comes to first world nations.

Canada is big but mostly isolated with spots of development here and there...

America is almost all fully developed with small towns, highways and cities everywhere.

anyways, something i notice is that there seems to be more people complaining about Americans who brag about the best than Americans who brag about being the best.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:21 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
lol yeah that is of funny!!
I meant to say - lol yeah that is kind of funny

A little too much spiked eggnog....

Old 12-26-2014, 03:44 PM

415 posts, read 560,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
I see so many negative opinions about Canada (mostly from Americans I would assume) implying that Canada is a total write off and such. Whats with that?
I haven't found that to be the case at all, and I've been a member of CD for over four years. In particular, I was quite pleasantly surprised to see many references to Canadian cities in the General US/City vs City, the vast majority of which were favorable comments by Americans.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:29 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulmeena View Post
Canada is the great country and Canadian people are much more friendly and easy to live with unlike most Americans. I always enjoy my stays there as well as the working experience there. American are less cooperative though.
But, you don't personally know most Americans. Have you really had experience with most Americans to say that.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:39 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Not really. There are just as many, if not more Americans (count me in as one) here on C-D that are quite fond of Canada. Especially the urban city enthusiasts, they love Montreal and Toronto.
Canadian cities are stale, boring and often filled with racists. Montreal was the first place I've been too where people were refused service based upon race. Toronto is dull. It's all skyscrapers and 20th century housing stock. No interesting sites other than the CN tower and even that is pretty dull.

Canada itself seems like liberal California except on steroids. You people will literally give all your power to the government so you can have second grade crap for everyone.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:40 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Canadian cities are stale, boring and often filled with racists. Montreal was the first place I've been too where people were refused service based upon race. Toronto is dull. It's all skyscrapers and 20th century housing stock. No interesting sites other than the CN tower and even that is pretty dull.

Canada itself seems like liberal California except on steroids. You people will literally give all your power to the government so you can have second grade crap for everyone.

If I were you, I wouldn't bring that negative attitude to BC. There be ornery people with guns here who don't put up with that $&%#.

Just saying.

Mahrie.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:03 PM

44 posts, read 77,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
and we've not ceded ours over the years??

it's actually happening the world over, pal, so you may just want to get used to it, or not?

also, your racists city comments can be said of ANY/EVERY city in the states. Or haven't you picked up a paper or watched the news over the last 6 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada