Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada better without Quebec?
Yes, Canada is better off without Quebec 55 41.67%
No, Canada is better off with Quebec 77 58.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:50 AM

183 posts, read 218,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
It seems Quebec from an outside position does stand out different culture, language and it seems like a country within it self.

At least Scotland has similarities with the rest of the UK especially Northern England..
This is accurate enough. Montréal is the most international and conclusion the city resembles other areas of Canada more. But outside of MTL it is a very different landscape. I think where I live is very different from towns in Ontario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 07:56 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
This is accurate enough. Montréal is the most international and conclusion the city resembles other areas of Canada more. .

Though still far from seamlessly so.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:59 PM

692 posts, read 957,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
Yes quite true, even when the young person does learn the new language they find that they need to practice consistently to be able to speak it. It is very hard to learn a new language. If it was a simple solution everyone would be bilingual because who wouldn't want to speak multiple languages?
Actually, worldwide most people are bilingual. Learning a second language isn't easy, but it also isn't hard after awhile, especially if you're in an environment where multiple languages are spoken.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:19 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Actually, worldwide most people are bilingual. Learning a second language isn't easy, but it also isn't hard after awhile, especially if you're in an environment where multiple languages are spoken.
Agreed. It's not hard to find people in Europe who speak 3 or more languages.

Also, mastering a new language is really a matter of personal choice. If you choose to dedicate time and effort into it, you will be able to gain at the very least conversational fluency sooner or later. I know a lot of young people in Asia who have complete fluency in English (albeit with local accents and not-so-great oral communication skills) without spending a day in North America or Europe. They simply spent hours upon hours studying it.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:30 PM

425 posts, read 466,304 times
The Maritimes would be fine without a land connection to the rest of Canada.

Look at the US 48 contiguous states and Alaska.

And I think Quebec would be fine on it's own. It has such a vast territory with natural resources to support it's population. And it already has a great infrastructure in place. I don't know if there would be any financial shocks though, but when you look at other areas of capital (labor, natl resources, language, etc.), Quebec looks like it would do fine if it were it's own country.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:08 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
The Maritimes would be fine without a land connection to the rest of Canada.

Look at the US 48 contiguous states and Alaska.

And I think Quebec would be fine on it's own. It has such a vast territory with natural resources to support it's population. And it already has a great infrastructure in place. I don't know if there would be any financial shocks though, but when you look at other areas of capital (labor, natl resources, language, etc.), Quebec looks like it would do fine if it were it's own country.
This reminds me of an episode of the Canadian show called Border Patrol I think.. This American family tried to cross the border into B.C as they were relocating to Alaska and they couldn't for a plethora of reasons.. They were sent back and told they needed to file a bunch of paperwork etc etc blah blah to enter Canada.. The man goes - what the heck i'm not staying in Canada i'm going to Alaska to work i'm American going to America - didn't make a lick of difference.. He was sent back to the lower 48 looking very perplexed lol..

So would the Maritimes be ok - yeah they'd still be a part of Canada but its a less than ideal circumstance and they would indeed be physically less connected.

There is always the concept of partition to address such a thing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle17528694/

Last edited by fusion2; 03-16-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This reminds me of an episode of the Canadian show called Border Patrol I think.. This American family tried to cross the border into B.C as they were relocating to Alaska and they couldn't for a plethora of reasons.. They were sent back and told they needed to file a bunch of paperwork etc etc blah blah to enter Canada.. The man goes - what the heck i'm not staying in Canada i'm going to Alaska to work i'm American going to America - didn't make a lick of difference.. He was sent back to the lower 48 looking very perplexed lol..

So would the Maritimes be ok - yeah they'd still be a part of Canada but its a less than ideal circumstance and they would indeed be physically less connected.
As I said in another thread, the US-Canada border is complicated because it's with the US.

A Quebec-Canada international border wouldn't likely be like that as it would be totally against the interest of both parties to make it complicated.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

There is always the concept of partition to address such a thing.

Would Quebec
I happen to think that partition is a red herring, but even if it wasn't, it doesn't involve areas that would help ensure a ''Canadian'' corridor between Ontario and New Brunswick anyway.

The route from Ontario to New Brunswick passes mostly through a whole bunch of 99% francophone areas that are generally part of the separatist heartland.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I happen to think that partition is a red herring, but even if it wasn't, it doesn't involve areas that would help ensure a ''Canadian'' corridor between Ontario and New Brunswick anyway.

The route from Ontario to New Brunswick passes mostly through a whole bunch of 99% francophone areas that are generally part of the separatist heartland.
In a separate Quebec Denying free passage of goods between Canada and the Maritimes would be an illogical move as Canada and the USA would be Quebecs major trading partners,Closing the door on free passage of goods through Quebec can work both ways as Quebec could be denied access to Canada and the USA in retaliation.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:32 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Well I think that would all be dealt with in terms of negotiations and how important it would be to the players involved in those. I'm introducing my concerns in terms of the fact that really you have Canadians having to cross another sovereign territory to get to another part of the country and that is not the case today. I hear you about being the Francophone heartland but I think both sides are going to have to be a bit creative.. Of course that is only one of the many sticky matters..

I read the article thanks - I can see why the parties don't want to discuss this stuff lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada