Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada better without Quebec?
Yes, Canada is better off without Quebec 55 41.67%
No, Canada is better off with Quebec 77 58.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
How would an independent Québec lose 75% of it's economy? Even in event of a big retreat of business from Québec it is extravagant to predict declining by 75%. Also how do you see Québec being a hollow shell?
Can you please read my post again - take into account who I was speaking to and understand the context of it.. Think this way though - if Canada were to lose a 1/4 of its economy without Quebec, Quebec would lose 3/4 quarters of its economy without Canada.. Why - because Quebec is in the country of Canada with a 1.8 trillion dollar economy.. Quebec is a 400 Billion dollar economy alone.. If we are speaking of absolute entities than yes - it isn't just Canada that would lose... Pbeau was speaking in absolute terms and not relative terms. The cold reality is both would take a hit internationally - the relative economies would be weaker than they currently are but not by 1/4 or by 3/4 but in absolute terms than yes.

Where did I say Quebec would be a hollow shell?? Again please see who I was referring to - note hint - the name starts with a P - note I said I was referring to him and not Quebec...

Last edited by fusion2; 04-07-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:30 AM

242 posts, read 242,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Can you please read my post again - take into account who I was speaking to and understand the context of it.. Think this way though - if Canada were to lose a 1/4 of its economy without Quebec, Quebec would lose 3/4 quarters of its economy without Canada.. Why - because Quebec is in the country of Canada with a 1.8 trillion dollar economy.. Quebec is a 400 Billion dollar economy alone.. If we are speaking of absolute entities than yes - it isn't just Canada that would lose... Pbeau was speaking in absolute terms and not relative terms. The cold reality is both would take a hit internationally - the relative economies would be weaker than they currently are but not by 1/4 or by 3/4 but in absolute terms than yes.

Where did I say Quebec would be a hollow shell?? Again please see who I was referring to - note hint - the name starts with a P - note I said I was referring to him and not Quebec...
There really is not evidence to say these countries will take a hit.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:29 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
I don't think that's the way it works.

3/4 of Quebec's economy is not related to trade with Canada. Most of Quebec's economic output is generated in Quebec and consumed within Quebec.

In the case of the independence of the province of Quebec as we know it, nothing gets "taken out" of Quebec. It (potentially) loses market share that it has for its stuff in Canada but as I said that's not 3/4 of its economy.

Whereas in the case of Canada the economy of Quebec is no longer tabulated in its economic output as it is truly "gone".

Old 04-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think that's the way it works.

3/4 of Quebec's economy is not related to trade with Canada. Most of Quebec's economic output is generated in Quebec and consumed within Quebec.

In the case of the independence of the province of Quebec as we know it, nothing gets "taken out" of Quebec. It (potentially) loses market share that it has for its stuff in Canada but as I said that's not 3/4 of its economy.

Whereas in the case of Canada the economy of Quebec is no longer tabulated in its economic output as it is truly "gone".
Its a matter of perspective - Quebec is now part of a country with a 1.8 trillion dollar economy. So Quebec as an idenpendant nation would have a 400 bn economy without the R.O.C - the R.O.C would have a 1.4 trillion dollar economy without Quebec..

there you go..

Old 04-08-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
There really is not evidence to say these countries will take a hit.
Quebec would take a hit in terms of transfer payments.. Also, they would just be each smaller economies on the world stage.. Whether that impacts the average Canadian/Quebecer would remain to be seen.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Quebec would take a hit in terms of transfer payments.. Also, they would just be each smaller economies on the world stage.. Whether that impacts the average Canadian/Quebecer would remain to be seen.
I definitely think it would affect a lot of people. Not catastrophically so, but most definitely it would like a recession. Quebec would obviously take the biggest hit, followed by it's "Siamese twin", Ontario.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I definitely think it would affect a lot of people. Not catastrophically so, but most definitely it would like a recession. Quebec would obviously take the biggest hit, followed by it's "Siamese twin", Ontario.
I still think a full impact assessment by experts on a plethora of aspects would need to be in order to determine what type of impact it would have.. In my mind there are far too many questions and not nearly enough answers.. No disrespect to anyone in C/D but none of us really have a full grasp of how things would look like or what the full impact or the pro's and cons would be in this situation - 95 percent of what would happen is PURE speculation. We can all sit here and say I want this and I want that, it will be like this it will be like that, but as I've stated before, there would be a lot of realities that would have to be dealt with on both sides and nobody knows what that would look like.. From what I'm aware, at least in the public domain, any thorough examination has not been released. This isn't a scare tactic - its reality.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:58 PM

242 posts, read 242,502 times
Quote:
I still think a full impact assessment by experts on a plethora of aspects would need to be in order to determine what type of impact it would have.. In my mind there are far too many questions and not nearly enough answers.. No disrespect to anyone in C/D but none of us really have a full grasp of how things would look like or what the full impact or the pro's and cons would be in this situation - 95 percent of what would happen is PURE speculation. We can all sit here and say I want this and I want that, it will be like this it will be like that, but as I've stated before, there would be a lot of realities that would have to be dealt with on both sides and nobody knows what that would look like.. From what I'm aware, at least in the public domain, any thorough examination has not been released. This isn't a scare tactic - its reality.
Some people are more inclined for their independence that money can not buy. It is not insult to English Canada it is just how some feel.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Some people are more inclined for their independence that money can not buy. It is not insult to English Canada it is just how some feel.
False assumption that I was referring to just money. With that said, for those whose inclination include accounting for impact on many matters than an impact analysis would be beneficial to them.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Both would initially lose a lot of prestige globally in a kind of ''pox on both your houses'' kind of way.

As in... you guys are rich and peaceful but were too daft to be able to work this out. Really???
It would be a far easier job if just once they'd define clearly what it is that would make them happy for any discernible period at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada