Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not in in all cases. Like I pointed out, people who are inheriting parents property or receiving the cash from the sale of a property or two, don't consider that hard cash illusory.

It's a fairly large group of people. One of the biggest transfers of wealth in our history.

If you still have to live in Vancouver it is largely illusory...you still have to live somewhere...you either downsize or you move to the suburbs (which in the meantime they went up in price too albeit at a smaller pace)

An other example, you leave a cool 1.5 million dollar to your offspring because your sold your modest house you lived in for 40 years for 2M+ and downsized to an apartment or moved out of Vancouver to retire...guess what...your son/daughter still need that 1.5M to buy a house (and maybe a mortgage on top of that)....assume your house did not went up in price that dramatically......well you would not need that much money to buy another house either...again....on balance, it is illusory.

My friends hit the jackpot in Vancouver...because they realized their gains and they left for a place as nice and as bustling where they can buy so much more house for the money without a hit to their income or changing their lifestyle....

If the offspring that get his hand on that 1.5 mil get a great job offer in Calgary (without minding the weather) or a job offer and a GC sponsorship, let's say, in Austin, cities where he can buy the same house for a fraction of the price, yes that gain is not illusory, he can put it in the bank.

My house in Seattle more than doubled since 2011 (according to Zillow).....yes that's right, doubled.....but if I sell it and I still have to live in Seattle I'm not that ahead.

The only think I'm "jelaous" of Vancouver is that I could have bought my apartment outright in Granville when I left for the US, get rental income and make it like a bandit on the resale years after but I could not predict this Tulip-mania like madness.

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-18-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 12:43 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,580 times
Winnipeg and St. Paul MN?

Old 02-22-2021, 09:09 PM

163 posts, read 93,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sure there is the "Northwest feel"....outdoor/mountaineer oriented lifestyle, North European heritage blended in an Anglo cultural setting, some house architecture design/features, food scene, etc.. and, yes, weather, environment, landscape and geographical location are also important points when comparing cities so I would not dismiss it so easily.

Sorry but is not like comparing Cartagena to Bangkok because they happen to be both tropical or comparing Toronto to Moscow.

Yes, I agree Vancouver and Seattle are vastly different in many areas (we discussed this many times before) but, as I said, there are many more similarities between the two than between Vancouver and San Francisco.
Um...there isn’t much “Anglo” about San Fran - English ancestry is by far not the majority in San Francisco. Sure, some of the white people are a mix of Northern European, but that includes tons of Italians, some Slavic, and some French. With huge numbers of Latinos.

I’m guessing Saturno is from Latin America and doesn’t understand the demographic makeup of the US or Canada.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Sure there is the "Northwest feel"....outdoor/mountaineer oriented lifestyle, North European heritage blended in an Anglo cultural setting, some house architecture design/features, food scene, etc.. and, yes, weather, environment, landscape and geographical location are also important points when comparing cities so I would not dismiss it so easily.

Sorry but is not like comparing Cartagena to Bangkok because they happen to be both tropical or comparing Toronto to Moscow.

Yes, I agree Vancouver and Seattle are vastly different in many areas (we discussed this many times before) but, as I said, there are many more similarities between the two than between Vancouver and San Francisco.
Um...there isn’t much “Anglo” about San Fran - English ancestry is by far not the majority in San Francisco. Sure, some of the white people are a mix of Northern European, but that includes tons of Italians, some Slavic, and some French. With huge numbers of Latinos.

I’m guessing Saturno is from Latin America and doesn’t understand the demographic makeup of the US or Canada.

San Francisco also has a strong Mediterranean influence on its environment. Vancouver doesn’t.

There’s not really similar architecture between the two either. San Fran is a 4 city for architecture, Vancouver is a 2, and is almost exclusively known for boring glass high rises.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:

San Francisco also has a strong Mediterranean influence on its environment. Vancouver doesn’t.

Old 04-27-2022, 06:51 PM

18 posts, read 9,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I feel like Canadian city centers, in general, are distinct from American city centers. To generalize, Canadian cores have more commieblock and glassy condo towers, less monumental architecture, more vibrant and messy feel. U.S. cores are grander, more sparse and a bit less lived-in.

So I agree the cores feel a bit different, and reflect the national differences. But I still think the cities, overall, are more alike than different. Both have tons of educated, outdoorsy, introverted WASP types, and climate and surroundings are basically the same.
Canadian cores are not more “vibrant”. Canada has so few cities to begin with, and they’re not particularly vibrant places compared to even Australian cities. Cities like NYC, Miami, New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Charleston, Las Vegas, Washington D.C., even the college neighborhoods of places like Columbus and, nowadays, Detroit, Cincinnati, and Cleveland have better nightlife scenes than their Canadian counterparts bar Montreal.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:14 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicinterest View Post

I imagine he is just using Anglo in the way we do in fact use it in Canada which is very distinct from the way the US does, which is to mean the culture of English speakers as a broad whole, Anglospheric culture. For example, as an English speaker from Quebec, I strongly identify with the term Anglo, it is my principal identity, ahead of my race, religion, and even my nationality. I see no contradiction in the fact that I do not have one drop of blood from the British Isles and my grandparents even resisted the British Empire in India during the Raj. Indeed, most of my community in Montreal is white ethnic: Jews, Italians, anglicized French Canadians etc. Language and culture define us, not our blood. As San Francisco is a very predominately English speaking city, I would never hesitate to call it Anglo.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:18 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I imagine he is just using Anglo in the way we do in fact use it in Canada which is very distinct from the way the US does, which is to mean the culture of English speakers as a broad whole, Anglospheric culture. For example, as an English speaker from Quebec, I strongly identify with the term Anglo, it is my principal identity, ahead of my race, religion, and even my nationality. I see no contradiction in the fact that I do not have one drop of blood from the British Isles and my grandparents even resisted the British Empire in India during the Raj. Indeed, most of my community in Montreal is white ethnic: Jews, Italians, anglicized French Canadians etc. Language and culture define us, not our blood. As San Francisco is a very predominately English speaking city, I would never hesitate to call it Anglo.
It's very odd to me to have someone who uses English for their family life, their social life, their work life, and out and about in society, be adamant about not being an "anglo".

Though I suppose it depends on what one considers "Anglo" to be a short form for. Because it can be "Anglophone" (linguistic) or "Anglo-Saxon" (ethnic).

In Quebec though it's always linguistic. And also political to some degree.

Last edited by Acajack; 04-29-2022 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada