Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 11:28 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
It is definitely too easy to purchase and carry a firearm in many states. I support tougher gun control legislation and am a gun owner myself. I have trap and target shot most of my life and hold an LTC-A in Massachusetts (The toughest gun laws in the country) I do not feel as if my rights are infringed upon because I am unable to concealed carry in the urban areas of Mass (You are only allowed to transport in a car from one location to another) The people who encourage more guns and concealed carry come across as overly paranoid to me.

Now would tougher laws instantly get illegal guns out of the hands of the main culprits which are gang members? No. But it would avoid alot of the blasé gun handling we see around the country from these fu*king idiots who scream about gun rights, but have no idea how to properly handle a firearm/rifle. Those accidental shootings are still too many for my taste. Plus as we mentioned the majority of murders in the US happen due to gang violence or domestic incidents. The need to carry for protection is not supported by statistics. I always get panned for saying that, but I really dont care.

To each their own opinion, I'm not trying to convince you but you will not convince me (I'm a gun owner and collector)

I support a reciprocated in all 50 states conceal carry permit (like a driving license) and to demonstrate proper handling and proficiency with a firearm before issuing a concealed permit (for example here in WA your CCW is issued without any need for training) again, similarly to a driving license...I do not want to be the victim of a stray bullet if someone defending himself/herself from an assailant cannot hit the wide side of a barn at 5 yards.

I may support an obligation to have a rated safe in their homes for gun owners (to reduce the risk of stolen firearms)

Tougher gun laws (meaning harder to get guns) would not resolve any issue related to mishandling or gun related domestic violence.

The "I do not need a CCW because statistically there is no need for" argument has no merit whatsoever (again IMHO), especially coming from a gun owner.

Ease to buy a firearm...hmm, let me see, try to pass a NICS phone screening with a less than a spotless record....straw purchases can land the seller 20 years in the can.

The famous (or better say infamous) gun show loophole is not just a myth but pure fantasy...the ignorance showed by anti gun supporters on the media is legendary and appalling.

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-24-2015 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 11:55 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,293,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
To each their own opinion, I'm not trying to convince you but you will not convince me (I'm a gun owner and collector)
I respect your opinion and glad you do mine, I am not in the "conversion business" so to speak. I have had this same conversation at the gun club more times than you can imagine.

Quote:
I support a reciprocated in all 50 states conceal carry permit (like a driving license) and to demonstrate proper handling and proficiency with a firearm before issuing a concealed permit (for example here in WA your CCW is issued without any need for training) again, similarly to a driving license...I do not want to be the victim of a stray bullet if someone defending himself/herself from an assailant cannot hit the wide side of a barn at 5 yards.
I would favor this over what we have currently. As you mentioned anyone carrying who has not proven his/her ability to handle a firearm correctly, should not even own one, let alone concealed carry.

Quote:
Tougher gun laws (meaning harder to get guns) would not resolve any issue related to mishandling or gun related domestic violence.
A Law requiring locking devices and safe storage in the home, would prevent many of those issues. Of course this is in direct conflict with anyone who feels the need to own a gun for protection and I respect that. My views are not typical.

Quote:
The "I do not need a CCW because statistically there is no need for" argument has no merit whatsoever (again IMHO), especially coming from a gun owner.
My views on this are not shaped by my personal gun ownership, but rather my own experience. I am originally from a country where we had rifles in the home for sport but also firearms for protection, in addition to a 24hr armed guard at our gate. Trying to convince someone who came from that situation to an extremely safe country like the US, is difficult.

Quote:
Ease to buy a firearm...let's say, try to pass a NICS phone screening with a less than a spotless record....straw purchase can land the seller 20 years in the can.

The famous (or better say infamous) gun show loophole is not just a myth but pure fantasy...the ignorance showed by anti gun supporters on the media is legendary and appalling.
Agreed. This is a political issue more than anything else. Anyone who has purchased a firearm understands the process that is in place due to the Brady Bill. My stance has nothing to do with the private gun sale "loophole" but rather the ease of obtaining a firearm without proper training. The training requirements in place are a joke in many places and you and I both know that.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
My stance has nothing to do with the private gun sale "loophole" but rather the ease of obtaining a firearm without proper training. The training requirements in place are a joke in many places and you and I both know that.
Here we agree completely...however, you can make training compulsory in order to carry, I think it's hard to do it only for ownership in your own house.

Even very restrictive countries (think Italy or the UK) do not require any training for only purchasing a gun and keep it at home.

Quote:
My views on this are not shaped by my personal gun ownership, but rather my own experience. I am originally from a country where we had rifles in the home for sport but also firearms for protection, in addition to a 24hr armed guard at our gate. Trying to convince someone who came from that situation to an extremely safe country like the US, is difficult.

Carrying a gun is like an insurance policy..you hope you will never have to use it...but bad luck can strike everywhere.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:26 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I respect your opinion and glad you do mine, I am not in the "conversion business" so to speak. I have had this same conversation at the gun club more times than you can imagine.

I would favor this over what we have currently. As you mentioned anyone carrying who has not proven his/her ability to handle a firearm correctly, should not even own one, let alone concealed carry.

A Law requiring locking devices and safe storage in the home, would prevent many of those issues. Of course this is in direct conflict with anyone who feels the need to own a gun for protection and I respect that. My views are not typical.

Agreed. This is a political issue more than anything else. Anyone who has purchased a firearm understands the process that is in place due to the Brady Bill. My stance has nothing to do with the private gun sale "loophole" but rather the ease of obtaining a firearm without proper training. The training requirements in place are a joke in many places and you and I both know that.
Thank god we don't have to deal with this kind of discussion in Canada. Just saying. There are far more relevant issues to society that need urgent attention.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:28 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:

Carrying a gun is like an insurance policy..you hope you will never have to use it...but bad luck can strike everywhere.
No, it is quite different. An insurance policy doesn't enable bad apples who want to commit crimes to do so on a much large and more harmful scale.

Do you really expect every child, woman and senior to carry a gun every single day and be able to use it skillfully as an insurance?

Even for a well trained person, he can't carry the gun with him all the time; while criminals only need to use their gun when they want to commit a crime.

Criminals are always more prepared than the victims. If you think the damage caused by and protection to the criminals and the victims from owning a gun are symmetrical, you are wrong. It completely favours the criminal.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No, it is quite different. An insurance policy doesn't enable bad apples who want to commit crimes to do so on a much large and more harmful scale.

Do you really expect every child, woman and senior to carry a gun every single day and be able to use it skillfully as an insurance?

Even for a well trained person, he can't carry the gun with him all the time; while criminals only need to use their gun when they want to commit a crime.

Criminals are always more prepared than the victims. If you think the damage caused by and protection to the criminals and the victims from owning a gun are symmetrical, you are wrong. It completely favours the criminal.

The bad apple cannot access that insurance policy, in theory...and you still have responded to my main question...how you prevent the bad apple to get a gun...by law??

Not everyone has the inclination, skill or ability to carry a weapon for personal defense (I would argue that some people should also not drive a car)...some shouldn't even try...but we should not penalize everyone else from wanting to do it.

Quote:
Thank god we don't have to deal with this kind of discussion in Canada. Just saying.

Thank God I live in a place where I can still have these kind of discussion....

Old 04-24-2015, 01:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Crime in the United States has been steadily and rapidly declining for the past 20 years.

It's not nearly as dangerous as it once was.
Crime is declining in many countries because of the ageing population. Don't get me wrong, I think this is good, but it's not exclusive to the US.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Botti you keep insisting on this point..I agree with the vast majority of what you say but I'm ready to bet that the VAST majority of people committing a crime with a gun in the US are people that current gun laws forbid to get a firearm in the first place.

You believe that with tighter gun controls, suddenly the gangs that currently in many cases have access to fully automatic weapons (as a matter of fact strictly forbidden from civilians) would run our of guns....I think you are delusional if you think that is the case.

Do you know what is the procedure to buy a firearm in the United States even in the most gun friendly state??
Personally I think it's way too late for the US to have any kind of sensible gun control.

One major part of the equation is that it's easier for a person in the US who is not allowed to have a gun to get one.

Another important factor is accidental gun deaths.

More guns, more gun deaths. It really is as simple as that.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Crime is declining in many countries because of the ageing population. Don't get me wrong, I think this is good, but it's not exclusive to the US.

The decline in the US has been particularly sharp for a variety of reasons....

Old 04-24-2015, 01:48 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This is NOT due to old age.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada