Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 01:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
The decline in the US has been particularly sharp for a variety of reasons....
...and those reasons? Canada experienced in 2012 it's lowest murder rate in 46 years. Again, the US is not unique in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 01:52 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Personally I think it's way too late for the US to have any kind of sensible gun control.

One major part of the equation is that it's easier for a person in the US who is not allowed to have a gun to get one.

Another important factor is accidental gun deaths.

More guns, more gun deaths. It really is as simple as that.

What are the statistics on accidental gun deaths?? I give you one, in 2010 there were 31.000 gun related homicides and suicides in the US...accidental gun discharge, 606 deaths.......a whopping 2%......sensationalism at its finest...

Nat, come here for a visit and I challenge you to try to get a gun for yourself.....you will see how easy it is...

Getting a long gun in Canada for a lawful citizen is almost as easy as the US....and is not particularly difficult to get a handgun too....legally carrying one is very difficult but that would not prevent a criminal doing it...

Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
This is NOT due to old age.
Not especially in the US which is actually one of the few first world countries where the population keep increasing at sustained clip....

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-24-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 03:20 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,293,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Thank god we don't have to deal with this kind of discussion in Canada. Just saying. There are far more relevant issues to society that need urgent attention.
I wish the discussion was always as civil as the one Santoro and I are having now. I still do not think stronger gun control is the ultimate answer even though I obviously support it. Lower the unemployment rate for blacks and latino's to single digits or on par with their white peers and then we will see how fast that murder rate drops. That is the true answer to this problem.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I wish the discussion was always as civil as the one Santoro and I are having now. I still do not think stronger gun control is the ultimate answer even though I obviously support it. Lower the unemployment rate for blacks and latino's to single digits or on par with their white peers and then we will see how fast that murder rate drops. That is the true answer to this problem.
Santoro.... Fabrice Santoro

Old 04-24-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Santoro.... Fabrice Santoro
Haha! I just caught that, my apologies to the artist formerly known as saturno.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Getting a long gun in Canada for a lawful citizen is almost as easy as the US....and is not particularly difficult to get a handgun too....legally carrying one is very difficult but that would not prevent a criminal doing it...
This is true. Basically the process I had to go through in Massachusetts is almost exactly same as Ontario. There is a reason why Olivia Chow was campaigning on a handgun ban in Toronto, there would be nothing to ban if there were no handguns allowed in the GTA.

The difference has always been in the concealed carry laws. Some states already have a de-facto "no issue" rule on the books, some obviously do not.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:48 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The harsh reality is that all Americans aren't violent. It's blacks. As much as some like to place the blame on the stereotypical gun-toting redneck, and despite some of the tough-talk they like to do, they are statistically not particularly more violent than Canadians or western Europeans. Notice that all of these places you are talking about (East Saint Louis, Baltimore, etc.) are very black areas. You can go just about anywhere in America, and if it is primarily inhabited by blacks it is will be more violent than an otherwise identical town inhabited primarily by whites. That's just the reality, whether it makes us uncomfortable to face or not.

Picture this. Primarily black areas in 1960 were relatively safe places. The average black family had two parents. The father had steady employment, and if necessary the mother too. They may not have been swimming in cash, but they got by with what they had. Many owned their own homes and even a family car. In 1960 many black people owned guns, yet the murder rate was a fraction of what it is today. So what changed?

1. In 1964 President Johnson launched a controversial program called The War On Poverty. From this came most of our anti-poverty programs and what some call the "welfare state". The introduction of the welfare state perfectly correlates with the dramatic rise in the black murder rate, the destruction of the black family unit, and the birth of "thug life" culture. It is often argued that the bread winning black American father was no longer needed with the introduction of the welfare state, and as result formed new families (i.e. gangs).

2. Drug culture became popular, and in many cases, tolerated. Black murder rates reached their peak in the 1980's when crack cocaine swept the streets of American cities. More drug use has correlated with more violent crime, and the drop in drug use has correlated with the drop in violent crime. Today murder rates today are lower than they have been since the 1960's, so is the rate of illicit drug usage.

3. Since the 1960's discussion of these realities within the black community has been off-limits for non-blacks. Whites and others who volunteer relevant information on the topic run the risk of being branded a racist and being ostracized in society. Botticelli made some brutally honest posts a while back about these realities and ran into the same problem (you are a racist, ignorant, etc.). This was a good example of this in action. It makes the subject difficult to discuss, and it makes it even more difficult to form solutions without hurting anyone's feelings.

Plano, Texas is the safest city in America. Yet the rate of gun-ownership is among the highest.
Newport Beach CA has always been rated the safest. My city is rated the second safest. When you are talking about the safer cities, it really doesn't matter what their rank is because they are all safe. We had one homicide 3 years ago that was a famiiy dispute. that one homicide affected the rating considerably as we normally never have any murders.

Even in the large cities with high homicide rates, the vast majority of the city is pretty safe as the crime is very localized in areas where the average person is never going to go.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 04-25-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 04:55 PM

400 posts, read 576,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Canadians overall tend to have better morals. And you never see Canadians display a 'victim' mentality as to why they are living life backwards like you see in some minority Americans.

So Russia is majority white, HIGHEST crime rates, leading in homicide, what's their excuse?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Canadians overall tend to have better morals. And you never see Canadians display a 'victim' mentality as to why they are living life backwards like you see in some minority Americans.
Living life backwards? What does that mean?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada