Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 01:07 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

What's interesting is that saturno is from Italy I think, and lived in Vancouver at one point, yet he seems to have really bought into the U.S. gun culture in the time he has been living there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:17 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Canada

Handgun owner who does not need handgun for job, owns hand gun. Hand gun must be locked up and ammunition kept separately. Owner MUST get permission to transport gun and that gun is ONLY going to go to a gun club's shooting range.

USA

Hand gun owner can have gun for target practice etc...but also for protection. That owner can have gun on their person ANYTIME depending on local laws. Some can even open carry their hand gun or weapon in many, many states. Those guns are on the move...hence they are floating around and moving throughout the US in a completely different manner than in Canada.

...so this for you is "floating around?? A nice "grasping at straws" exercise?? Do you know what is the percentage of people that exercise open carry?? I think I have only seen one in Arizona....in cowboy boots and it was a Colt revolver....

I'm an avid gun collector, I belong to a gun club and I go to shooting ranges often...never practiced open carry nor any of the people I know in the hobby which basically almost all of them of consider it, frankly, stupid.

The videos of open carry you see on youtube are mainly pro gun protesters (not my liking or my style but to each his/her own) trying to make a point....I bet they do not practice open carry normally.

Do you know that basically in all states if I have a Concealed Pistol Permit and a cop can even guess the shape of a gun through my clothing I can be charged for brandishing??

I cannot carry in a bar or even in the bar section of a restaurant, on school grounds heck I cannot even be armed on the road adjacent to a school, federal (including post offices) and most public buildings are no go zones too.
No guns in hospitals, airports, sporting events or concerts, churches, amusements parks...yes lots of '"floating around".....

Old 06-02-2015, 01:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What's interesting is that saturno is from Italy I think, and lived in Vancouver at one point, yet he seems to have really bought into the U.S. gun culture in the time he has been living there...
Hmmmm. I'll let him Saturno answer that, but it does appear that he didn't learn anything about our gun laws while in Canada.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
It's like you haven't read ANY of my posts.
I did...you just do nto get what I'm trying to say...frankly I give up...

Old 06-02-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

My dad was an Italian Air Force pilot and gun collector...I did learn to shoot when I was 6 years old so my sister....so no, I did not buy into the "gun culture" (still nobody can explain what gun culture is) when I crossed the border into the US.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...so this for you is "floating around?? A nice "grasping at straws" exercise?? Do you know what is the percentage of people that exercise open carry?? I think I have only seen one in Arizona....in cowboy boots and it was a Colt revolver....

I'm an avid gun collector, I belong to a gun club and I go to shooting ranges often...never practiced open carry nor any of the people I know in the hobby which basically almost all of them of consider it, frankly, stupid.

The videos of open carry you see on youtube are mainly pro gun protesters (not my liking or my style but to each his/her own) trying to make a point....I bet they do not practice open carry normally.

Do you know that basically in all states if I have a Concealed Pistol Permit and a cop can even guess the shape of a gun through my clothing I can be charged for brandishing??

I cannot carry in a bar or even in the bar section of a restaurant, on school grounds heck I cannot even be armed on the road adjacent to a school, federal (including post offices) and most public buildings are no go zones too.
No guns in hospitals, airports, sporting events or concerts, churches, amusements parks...yes lots of '"floating around".....
Oh give it up Saturno.

Regardless of some restrictions on gun ownership in the US, which varies in each state, NO ONE can argue that as you have tried, that gun ownership, and gun culture in the US and Canada are the same, or in many ways remotely close. Hence your total misunderstanding about hand guns in Canada. You have proven to this board, that you don't understand Canadian gun law.

This could NEVER happen in Canada..

In Texas, it soon could be legal to bring a gun to college - LA Times

Old 06-02-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
My dad was an Italian Air Force pilot and gun collector...I did learn to shoot when I was 6 years old so my sister....so no, I did not buy into the "gun culture" (still nobody can explain what gun culture is) when I crossed the border into the US.
That's because some Americans may not be able to see the forest for the trees.
Many do though.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Oh give it up Saturno.

Regardless of some restrictions on gun ownership in the US, which varies in each state, NO ONE can argue that as you have tried, that gun ownership, and gun culture in the US and Canada are the same, or in many ways remotely close. Hence your total misunderstanding about hand guns in Canada. You have proven to this board, that you don't understand Canadian gun law.

This could NEVER happen in Canada..

In Texas, it soon could be legal to bring a gun to college - LA Times

Nat, please do not get offended if I think you do have basic reading comprehension issues...I never ever tried to compare gun ownership between USA and Canada....I said that gun laws does not prevent gun crimes and that there is no link between high legal gun ownership and gun crimes, never been but feel free to argue with numbers and statistics which, by the way, you love when they point at your direction but easily dismiss when they not...

By the way, nice job in swallowing line, hook and sinker on the BBC piece (typical, you can read but you cannot connect the dots of what is being said).....the Swiss army does not distribute military ammo anymore to individual soldiers in their homes but you can still buy civilian ammo if you got a sporting permits and these permits vastly outnumbers reserve soldiers.

Let me clarify one technical aspect so you get the complete picture....military weapons do not use special cartridges, the only difference is in the bullets type and the military style bullets are usually less lethal then civilian ones (full metal jacket vs, expanding bullets which are banned in war by the Hague Convention)

So Bastien the soldier can slam a box of 9mm ammo in its piece if he wants to....

Quote:
Saturno, like JohnSoCal, are just looking at stats of licensing, ownership etc without understanding the facts behind the numbers.
...the facts are that there is no demonstrable, factual correlation between legal gun ownership and gun crimes.....maybe sixth time's a charm.....

By yhe way...again, what is "gun culture"?? Crickets......

Last edited by saturno_v; 06-02-2015 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Nat, please do not get offended if I think you do have basic reading comprehension issues...I never ever tried to compare gun ownership between USA and Canada....I said that gun laws does not prevent gun crimes and that there is no link between high legal gun ownership and gun crimes, never been but feel free to argue with numbers and statistics which, by the way, you love when they point at your direction but easily dismiss when they not...

By the way, nice job in swallowing line, hook and sinker on the BBC piece (typical, you can read but you cannot connect the dots of what is being said).....the Swiss army does not distribute military ammo anymore to individual soldiers in their homes but you can still buy civilian ammo if you got a sporting permits and these permits vastly outnumbers reserve soldiers.

Let me clarify one technical aspect so you get the complete picture....military weapons do not use special cartridges, the only difference is in the bullets and the military bullet are usually less lethal then civilian ones (full metal jacket vs, expanding bullets which are banned by the Hague Convention)

...the facts are that there is no demonstrable, factual correlation between legal gun ownership and gun crimes.....maybe sixth time's a charm.....

By yhe way...what is "gun culture"?? Crickets......
Offended? LOL. I am not offended. I'm just debating...love debating.

No demonstrable, factual correlation? Some disagree

Largest Gun Study Ever: More Guns, More Murder | ThinkProgress

As for US gun culture

"In his 1970 article "America as a Gun Culture,"[2] historian Richard Hofstadter used the phrase "gun culture" to describe America's long-held affection for guns, embracing and celebrating the association of guns and America's heritage. In 1995, Robert Spitzer (political scientist) said that the modern American gun culture is founded on three factors: the proliferation of firearms since the earliest days of the nation, the connection between personal ownership of weapons and the country's revolutionary and frontier history, and the cultural mythology regarding the gun in the frontier and in modern life"

Gun culture in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even the mythology of the US west in the 1800's is centred on guns. Not so in Canada.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Offended? LOL. I am not offended. I'm just debating...love debating.

No demonstrable, factual correlation? Some disagree

Largest Gun Study Ever: More Guns, More Murder | ThinkProgress

As for US gun culture

"In his 1970 article "America as a Gun Culture,"[2] historian Richard Hofstadter used the phrase "gun culture" to describe America's long-held affection for guns, embracing and celebrating the association of guns and America's heritage. In 1995, Robert Spitzer (political scientist) said that the modern American gun culture is founded on three factors: the proliferation of firearms since the earliest days of the nation, the connection between personal ownership of weapons and the country's revolutionary and frontier history, and the cultural mythology regarding the gun in the frontier and in modern life"

Gun culture in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even the mythology of the US west in the 1800's is centred on guns. Not so in Canada.

The ThinkProgress pice is unadulterated garbage....some twisted and fuzzy logic...frankly you can stop reading after the first few line:

"The largest study of gun violence in the United States, released Thursday afternoon, confirms a point that should be obvious: widespread American gun ownership is fueling America’s gun violence epidemic."

Gun crimes at an all time low, gun ownership at an all time high....facts, hard numbers....sure we need to do more to reduce the violence but the "epidemic" is winding down strongly.....the right direction...unfortunately is always easier for a politician to concoct laws rather than produce a coherent (and well funded) strategy to attack a problem.

At least they had a tiny drop of honesty when they say:

"Of course, the authors don’t find that rates of gun ownership explain all of America’s gun violence epidemic: "

With the word "epidemic" still present for effects.....

Probably to your surprise, I'm for some tightening of the gun laws in some regards.....mandatory training and testing before issuing Concealed Permits in all states just like a driving license (but I do want a reciprocated CCW as well for all states like a normal Driving License) and compulsory safe storage at home.

Guns are part of the American history and folklore for sure, I debate the use of the term "gun culture"....people see guns here as recreational tools (hunting, target shooting) and for defense. For the vast majority of gun owners there is no obsession about guns nor their lives revolve around guns. The fringe elements are a minuscule reality (but is great for media exposure).

At the range I meet with people from all walk of life....blue collars, lawyers, engineers, accountants, a judge, businessmen, doctors, men, women, young folks, old folks....we share a laugh and we have fun together.

One of my hobbies is aviation but I would not refer to it as the "aircraft culture".

Last edited by saturno_v; 06-02-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada