Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,459,706 times

Advertisements

Care to elaborate, mike? lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 07:06 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,928,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I may be a two-day drive south of the border, but I'll risk claiming that Canadians probably do know more about the US than vice versa. My high school world history course at least barely, if at all, touched on Canada. The social studies classes in elementary school (in the 70s, at least) also did (or not) do likewise. Hell, I only learned that Canada has a large French speaking population later in elementary school, and only then because I read encyclopedias for fun! I recall in Sunday School when I was about 11 or 12, mentioning a trip to Canada I recently took, and mentioned I learned a few French words while up there. One guy my age expressed surprise at that, and the sunday school teacher told him that in some parts of Canada they speak French instead.

At least well away from the border, Canada is seen as a cold snowy country with people "pretty much like us" - barely qualifying for the term "foreign". Well, there are the "ice hockey", "Mounties", and "better beer" things we learn about English-speaking Canada as we get older -- and Francophone Quebec. But for the most part, seen as a country more or less like the US.

By contrast, the majority (IIRC) of Canadians live close enough to the border to pick up US TV stations (I recall in a chat room years ago somebody in Toronto saying they can easily pick up Buffalo's PBS station). By contrast, Detroit (and maybe Seattle) are the only major US cities close enough to get the CBC, etc. IMO, if Canada had the global media / entertainment clout the US did, I assure you we'd know more about Canadian history (same basic reason the world knows more about British history and culture than they do, say, Ethiopian or Vietnamese -- global media clout).
I'm not saying Canadians generally know less about the U.S than Americans know about Canadians. My contention is that Canadians as a lot don't know as much as what some would contend and are pretty clueless about a lot of fundamental things/events/figures etc.. As for PBS, how many Torontonians do you think watch that

I get you about media clout - but what exactly does that do to promote what is important about America or the American experience... In all our time watching it and being receptive to it you'd think every single person leaving a Jays game would be able to recite the Gettysburg Address but I bet you Dealey Plaza that if you said "Four Score and Seven Years Ago" etc etc that less than 1 percent of those Blue Jay fans would be able to say oh that's the Gettysburg Address..

Last edited by fusion2; 10-20-2015 at 07:20 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 10:17 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,667,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I had to laugh at this part, because not too long ago a cruise ship had docked here in Windsor, and it was in the paper. They interviewed this guy from Texas, and here is what he said, as well meaning as it was.....

Windsor benefits from tourists on American cruise ship - Windsor - CBC News

Was he expecting igloos, parkas and mukluks in the middle of August?! lol!!!
Texas.

It figures.

Please don't lump all Americans in with the yokels you see in news clips (that includes Mike Huckabee).

I love Canada.

Also, let's all be careful when casting stones about the ignorance of another country's citizens...

Quote:
A Hamilton school trustee running in the federal election for the New Democrats has apologized for making a crude reference related to Auschwitz, reportedly saying she had no idea that it was a notorious Nazi death camp.

In a Facebook note, Alex Johnstone conceded she should not have made her remarks.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:28 PM

27 posts, read 22,023 times
I was never bothered by Americans being apathetic and ignorant of Canada. And I will never expect them to become interested in us. My ONLY problem is the condescension and blatant rudeness some Americans display towards Canadians for no good reason. No other country disrespects Canada but the United States. The Stephen Colbert Canada segment about the parliament shooting last year was both insulting and mindless. Yeah thanks for the "tribute".

Old 10-20-2015, 10:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,611,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Texas.

It figures.

Please don't lump all Americans in with the yokels you see in news clips (that includes Mike Huckabee).

I love Canada.

Also, let's all be careful when casting stones about the ignorance of another country's citizens...
Most Canadians don't lump all Americans in with the yokels. Most of us have travelled to the US and know many Americans who don't fit that stereotype. Heck, I even had an aunt form Oklahoma! ( although she kind of did fit that stereotype LOL )

Old 10-20-2015, 11:07 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,667,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario1989 View Post
My ONLY problem is the condescension and blatant rudeness some Americans display towards Canadians for no good reason. No other country disrespects Canada but the United States. The Stephen Colbert Canada segment about the parliament shooting last year was both insulting and mindless. Yeah thanks for the "tribute".
Do you have any prominent examples?

I don't see how anyone could describe Americans as anything but "apathetic" when it comes to Canada.

Of course, you did say "some," and in a country of 350 million people, there are going to be "some" of every type.

I just watched the Colbert piece on Youtube and I didn't find it offensive. Of course, I tend to not take offense to things comedians say.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,928,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario1989 View Post
I was never bothered by Americans being apathetic and ignorant of Canada. And I will never expect them to become interested in us. My ONLY problem is the condescension and blatant rudeness some Americans display towards Canadians for no good reason. No other country disrespects Canada but the United States. The Stephen Colbert Canada segment about the parliament shooting last year was both insulting and mindless. Yeah thanks for the "tribute".
Lighten up there newbie lol... Canadians are actually very well regarded by Americans and are regarded positively by 85 percent of Americans. I wish the same could be said the other way.. The truth is, Americans are far less favourable viewed by Canadians as we are to them and that is rather unfortunate and something I think many need to evaluate and get over.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12144793/

Old 10-20-2015, 11:29 PM

27 posts, read 22,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Do you have any prominent examples?

I don't see how anyone could describe Americans as anything but "apathetic" when it comes to Canada.

Of course, you did say "some," and in a country of 350 million people, there are going to be "some" of every type.

I just watched the Colbert piece on Youtube and I didn't find it offensive. Of course, I tend to not take offense to things comedians say.
*some*.. and they exist. You can't tell me they don't because I have met them. I didn't say everyone (that's insane). There just seems to be done with this strange bully mentality.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,411,237 times
Not only do Canadians not care that most Americans no nothing about Canada we find it rather amusing as evidenced by Rick Mercers show,"Talking to Americans"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFgPX0hnNfA

Old 10-21-2015, 06:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,531,406 times
A simple test:

Go to any area within Canada and watch the national news then go to any area in the U.S. and watch the national news.

Pay particular attention to the weather map.

What you will often witness is, nothing exists north of the 49th.

They've been conditioned through years of this patterned ignorance by a bought-and-paid-for MSM.

As the most obvious example of this; It would have been so simple for them to send a few reporters up here to experience a day in the life of a typical Canadian citizen's receiving the benefits of universal healthcare. Of course that would never be allowed due to those ownership imperatives to keep profits rolling in from all sources; even those without the best interests of American citizens at the fore.

They could have avoided their country's going through all of this divisive angst and strife to show very little gain.

Can you imagine if in the interests of investigative journalism a few of their better reporters thought: "I've listened to years of big pharma's bullcrap about Canada's healthcare; I'm going to go up there and find out for myself by immersing myself into their system to find out the truth."

Can you imagine the glazed look in MOST Americans eyes if they heard the facts when previously they had heard nothing at all but lies. Can you also imagine the benefit to us of some warts and blemishes of our system having 500 watt halogens shone on them.

Ignorance of Canada by Americans is not primarily, their fault. It's been by design and very deliberately patterned..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada