Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:39 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Are you saying ugly does?
Not at all. I just fail to see how looks matter. The most successful U.S. presidents were hardly GQ models.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:09 AM

225 posts, read 203,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Not at all. I just fail to see how looks matter. The most successful U.S. presidents were hardly GQ models.
Humans tend to be superficial, even subconsciously. This can result in a better looking candidate getting elected. Actually been scientifically proven that people tend to think more attractive people are more trustworthy.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:18 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Looks don't matter and are often a hindrance to being taken seriously as your second sentence indicates. At the same time we can't help but notice good-looking people. I don't think it is wrong to enjoy the view.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:48 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Shallow, superficial Americans gushed over the Kennedys all through the Sixties; while some of them, particularly the women, were shown to be forward-thinking and surprisingly articulate, most of the men displayed a strain of both vanity and ruthlessness. The Line of Camelot now seems to be fading into obscurity.

So let it be with all "pretty" politicians; the fine, and occasionally dangerous art of statecraft demands more substance.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
I take the congratulations, not matter how the OP spells Trudeau.

Time will tell how well he does. For now, 99.9 percent of the people I know are feeling like a cloud has been lifted. Several articles were written about this. I realize now how much negative energy Harper was putting into my daily life.
Every day there seem to be some new atrocity against things that most Canadians hold dear.

Glad he's gone.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:02 PM

358 posts, read 283,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
The American reaction to the Trudeau victory is quite funny. I especially laughed at the hashtag #PMILF (Prime Minister I'd Like to F@%!) which was trending in several US cities.

Not explicitly saying I agree with them, but I'd "shuffle his cabinet" NAWMSAYIN
Trudeau got famous all over the world by women of every age, especially young one's who wants to move to Canada because you got hot PM

Old 10-24-2015, 07:13 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I take the congratulations, not matter how the OP spells Trudeau.

Time will tell how well he does. For now, 99.9 percent of the people I know are feeling like a cloud has been lifted. Several articles were written about this. I realize now how much negative energy Harper was putting into my daily life.
Every day there seem to be some new atrocity against things that most Canadians hold dear.

Glad he's gone.
Awww c'mon Nat - aren't you even a bit disappointed that you won't be able report some of your neighbours to the 'barbaric cultural practices' hotline

It will be nice to have a leader who refers to us as Canadians though instead of 'Taxpayers' lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 10-24-2015 at 07:21 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Awww c'mon Nat - aren't you even a bit disappointed that you won't be able report some of your neighbours to the 'barbaric cultural practices' hotline

It will be nice to have a leader who refers to us as Canadians though instead of 'Taxpayers' lol..
Ah dang; there's yet another two things I never even thought of. Stop it now...please.....

Old 10-24-2015, 09:06 AM

225 posts, read 203,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Trudeau got famous all over the world by women of every age, especially young one's who wants to move to Canada because you got hot PM
It's actually funny, this has inspired some interesting discussions in feminist circles, all over the world. Two main points:

1. Objectifying him is not OK, we don't like it when it's done to women, don't do it to him. He ran a solid campaign and brought his party from third party to government, and third place in the polls to majority government, because of hard work. To reduce him to his looks dismisses all that, and these kind of things happen to women all the time, we shouldn't be doing this to a man.

2. Point 2 is kind of a rebuttal to point 1, and also a very good point. Sexism is objectification + power so women cannot be sexist against men, and when women comment on Trudeau's looks, his sexual objectification still shows him as powerful, pictures of him boxing, things like that. The objectification of him started, however, early in the campaign with Harper attack ads focusing on his looks (Nice hair, though), and this was an effort to emasculate him, reduce him to status of a woman, and objectify him like one.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
It's actually funny, this has inspired some interesting discussions in feminist circles, all over the world. Two main points:

1. Objectifying him is not OK, we don't like it when it's done to women, don't do it to him. He ran a solid campaign and brought his party from third party to government, and third place in the polls to majority government, because of hard work. To reduce him to his looks dismisses all that, and these kind of things happen to women all the time, we shouldn't be doing this to a man.

2. Point 2 is kind of a rebuttal to point 1, and also a very good point. Sexism is objectification + power so women cannot be sexist against men, and when women comment on Trudeau's looks, his sexual objectification still shows him as powerful, pictures of him boxing, things like that. The objectification of him started, however, early in the campaign with Harper attack ads focusing on his looks (Nice hair, though), and this was an effort to emasculate him, reduce him to status of a woman, and objectify him like one.
Another couple of points that I hadn't considered.

This is getting interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada