Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 02:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I don't think anyone is countering anything. You said the business part of it made you feel uncomfortable and I was genuinely confused as to why that was so jarring. I don't recall any post from anyone that said there was zero emotional benefit.

What more can I say?
I wanted to convey that in perpetuity there is more to it than a business relationship even if it starts based on a business transaction. If people get that through the personal experiences that posters share I think that is a good thing. If people don't care about personal experiences than by all means they can ignore them. What is jarring is if people think that that is all that multiculturalism and diversity bring is just a business transaction. I'm not saying anyone here said there is not benefit to multiculturalism beyond business. I'm sharing my thoughts that for many of us it goes beyond that..... Its not about being argumentative at all. I thought I was getting at the heart of its benefits via how it has benefitted me as a human being...

Last edited by fusion2; 04-10-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 02:49 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Canada's still not interesting enough. Not for my taste. We need more people. We should bring in double the number of immigrants that we currently have coming. Yes, I'm serious.
How exactly would bringing in twice the amount of immigrants make Canada more interesting? Where would you like to see more immigrants come in from?

Old 04-10-2016, 02:55 PM

3,869 posts, read 5,294,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I wanted to convey that in perpetuity there is more to it than a business relationship even if it starts based on a business transaction. If people get that through the personal experiences that posters share I think that is a good thing. If people don't care about personal experiences than by all means they can ignore them. What is jarring is if people think that that is all that multiculturalism and diversity bring is just a business transaction. I'm not saying anyone here said there is not benefit to multiculturalism beyond business. I'm sharing my thoughts that for many of us it goes beyond that..... Its not about being argumentative at all. I thought I was getting at the heart of its benefits via how it has benefitted me as a human being...
I personally enjoyed reading the personal testimonials regarding immigration, I thought it was well written and heartfelt. I do not think anyone would dare question your personal benefits. As I mentioned this has manifested itself in my life as well.

The business part of it is a reality though and even when it crosses over into being much more, the foundation of why it happened in the first place still remains. Mixing business and pleasure in this circumstance is not a bad thing in the least.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

The business part of it is a reality though and even when it crosses over into being much more, the foundation of why it happened in the first place still remains. Mixing business and pleasure in this circumstance is not a bad thing in the least.
If we didn't look beyond certain things it would be easy to just describe something using facts and figures or initial intentions.. There is more to things than that.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:00 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Canada's still not interesting enough. Not for my taste. We need more people. We should bring in double the number of immigrants that we currently have coming. Yes, I'm serious.
I am not against immigration but how about giving the cultures that are indigenous to Canada more of a fighting chance to survive into future generations?

That'll make Canada "more interesting" too, trust me.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not against immigration but how about giving the cultures that are indigenous to Canada more of a fighting chance to survive into future generations?

Could we not accomplish both at the same time?

Old 04-10-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Could we not accomplish both at the same time?
Sure, but one should really be a priority over the other. Do we really need to bring in TWICE the amount of immigrants? One issue is obviously more important than the other. If you don't think so I invite you to Winnipeg and I'll take you on a tour of the inner city here.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I agree.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Sure, but one should really be a priority over the other. Do we really need to bring in TWICE the amount of immigrants? One issue is obviously more important than the other. If you don't think so I invite you to Winnipeg and I'll take you on a tour of the inner city here.
I'm not saying two times the immigrants UrbanLuis but ultimately it depends on what these people bring to the table initially.. Just because we have these issues should we axe the 250-300K we bring in now until they are resolved? We can't keep deferring immigration just because we have issues with indigenous peoples and i'm not sure we can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I think we can have a more multifaceted approach to things. I'm not diminishing the plight of indigenous peoples anywhere including in Winnipeg's inner city btw but i'm just not convinced that the issues are because of a focus on immigration. I think its more neglect and wishing to sweep certain things under the rug.

As for your invitation - I wholeheartedly accept! I have vacation time next year but more than willing to come out to Winnipeg - I have never been to it or Manitoba and its my goal to change that in the near future!

Old 04-10-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I

As for your invitation - I wholeheartedly accept! I have vacation time next year but more than willing to come out to Winnipeg - I have never been to it or Manitoba and its my goal to change that in the near future!
Your welcome anytime man, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada