Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2023, 11:45 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Conservative Party of Canada’s top spokesperson is under fire after issuing a tweet suggesting women cabinet ministers were selected to fulfill a “gender” quota. Sarah Fischer, the Conservative Party of Canada’s Director of Communications, issued the tweet in response to international headlines lambasting Conservative MPs for refusing to applaud women cabinet members.

During United States President Joe Biden’s address to Canada’s House of Commons last week, Biden scolded Conservative MPs who refused to applaud.
https://pressprogress.ca/conservativ...net-ministers/

Old 03-28-2023, 12:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Too many Canadian Conservatives who are just parroting the GOP in the US. They use the same language, which sounds odd to my Canadian ears.

Biden is correct, however, I don't think it's a foreign leaders place to scold any MP when that foreign leader is in our country, let alone parliament.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Too many Canadian Conservatives who are just parroting the GOP in the US. They use the same language, which sounds odd to my Canadian ears.

Biden is correct, however, I don't think it's a foreign leaders place to scold any MP when that foreign leader is in our country, let alone parliament.
Conservatives using GOP language in rural Manitoba became common during Obama's run for president and has only become worse. I swear some people here do not understand that American laws and Canadian laws are not synonyms. It's really scary. I don't let conversations go in that direction around me any more.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Conservatives using GOP language in rural Manitoba became common during Obama's run for president and has only become worse. I swear some people here do not understand that American laws and Canadian laws are not synonyms. It's really scary. I don't let conversations go in that direction around me any more.
I only see it online and in the media. There was only one real uber right wing guy in our group, who seemed very influenced by US media. Loved Trump.

An Ayn Rand type of guy, who talked about individualism and taking care of yourself and not relying on " handouts". He was tolerated in our group because he was an old school chum of a friend of mine and added a very different view of the world. Nice enough most of the time, but truly seemed to think he was of superior intellect. In fact, he told us that one time.

Now? Well last month on his way back home had a stroke. In the US. No health insurance except for what his credit card might offer. Spent 20 days in a US hospital, air ambulance back here. Still in hospital, partly paralyzed. No spouse, kids or close family except for a nephew.

The bills will most likely be in the hundreds of thousands. He is retired. He will most likely need care the rest of his life. Early 60's.

I hate to use the word burden, but it irks me that these types who talk the talk, seldom walk the walk. Just like Ayn Rand who in the end collected Social Security and Medicare. As soon as they need it, they take it.

Rant over.

Old 03-28-2023, 03:41 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Sorry to hear about your friend. I find many thinks admirable in the political perspective you described but ultimately I think you did a good job of highlighting an area that it seems to create an huge unnecessary cruelty on the population. No one likes a government that’s overly involved with telling us all what to do, but at the same time here in Canada we can all appreciate I’m sure a government that’s able to provide some of these essential needs for our people.

Old 03-29-2023, 12:39 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

What that Fischer lady said was certainly disrespectful towards female Cabinet Ministers, but how is this typical GOP language and rhetoric?

JT's choice of a 50-50 male-female Cabinet has been the focus of at least some criticism ever since he named it and said "because it's 2015".

Old 03-29-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What that Fischer lady said was certainly disrespectful towards female Cabinet Ministers, but how is this typical GOP language and rhetoric?

JT's choice of a 50-50 male-female Cabinet has been the focus of at least some criticism ever since he named it and said "because it's 2015".
I wasn't talking about a specific topic, but just the tone of certain Conservatives talking points.

It's pretty obvious to many.

"Are we seeing the end of the federal Conservative party as a legitimate opposition? Is it becoming a sad echo of the American Republican party, a.k.a., the Donald Trump party?"

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...mp-republicans

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-29-2023 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-29-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I’m not aware of GOP male rhetoric against women, but this 2018 poll certainly gives insight as to what they think:
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/20/64954...g-disagreement

Percent saying “There are too few women in high political office in the country today:
GOP Men: 24%
GOP women: 44%
Democratic men: 73%
Democratic women: 84%

Percent saying “Women in politics face gender discrimination” is a major reason why there a fewer women than men in office:
GOP Men: 14%
GOP women: 48%
Democratic men: 58%
Democratic women: 68%
From the Trump years:
All-male White House health bill photo sparks anger

Old 03-29-2023, 10:26 PM

Sort of on the same topic, this post and photo about Finland makes a good point:
https://mstdn.social/@Miriamm@mastod...67246763553885

and completely off-topic, this cartoon made me smile (it’s so true):
https://mstdn.social/@cahollenbeck@m...89259256492648

Old 04-03-2023, 10:00 AM

3,449 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Default Invasion of the Crop Snatchers

It’s Durocher!
It’s Poland Chinas!
No, it’s Superpigs!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCKouSzL-AQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada