Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2023, 07:41 PM

7,678 posts, read 5,524,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Why not just expand the Quad then, instead of creating a new framework?
Canada wasn’t invited to join the Quad.

The U.S. has rejected the idea Canada having nuclear powered submarines in the past (1980s?). One reason I heard was it may have something to do with the U.S. not accepting Canada’s sovereignty over the Northwest Passage in the Arctic.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:39 AM

Canada’s inflation rate dropped from 5.9% in January to 5.2% in February BUT on a provincial level the inflation rate in February varies widely from 6.7% to 3.6%.

Canada: 5.9 to 5.2
Newfoundland and Labrador: 5.5 to 5.4
Prince Edward Island: 7.0 to 6.7
Nova Scotia: 6.9 to 6.5
New Brunswick: 6.5 to 5.9
Quebec: 6.2 to 5.6
Ontario: 5.6 to 5.1
Manitoba: 6.9 to 6.4
Saskatchewan: 6.0 to 5.7
Alberta: 5.0 to 3.6
British Columbia: 6.2 to 6.2

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...g-a006-eng.htm

Old 03-21-2023, 04:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Canada’s inflation rate dropped from 5.9% in January to 5.2% in February BUT on a provincial level the inflation rate in February varies widely from 6.7% to 3.6%.

Canada: 5.9 to 5.2
Newfoundland and Labrador: 5.5 to 5.4
Prince Edward Island: 7.0 to 6.7
Nova Scotia: 6.9 to 6.5
New Brunswick: 6.5 to 5.9
Quebec: 6.2 to 5.6
Ontario: 5.6 to 5.1
Manitoba: 6.9 to 6.4
Saskatchewan: 6.0 to 5.7
Alberta: 5.0 to 3.6
British Columbia: 6.2 to 6.2

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...g-a006-eng.htm
great news though. going in the right direction!

Old 03-22-2023, 07:10 PM

Serious’ allegations on Han Dong, 2 Michaels renew inquiry calls from opposition
Quote:
Global News reported Wednesday that Ontario MP Han Dong privately advised a senior Chinese diplomat in February 2021 that Beijing should hold off freeing Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, according to two separate national security sources

Old 03-22-2023, 07:39 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Default Atlantic Canada is economically growing again

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...nada-1.6782002

Halifax and Moncton are leading the way it seems. Here's hope that this growth will help the launch of the Atlantic Schooners CFL Team. IMO Saint John still has a ways to go. It quite resembles Portland, Maine from 25-30 years ago. Still, there is hope.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:30 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...nada-1.6782002

Halifax and Moncton are leading the way it seems. Here's hope that this growth will help the launch of the Atlantic Schooners CFL Team. IMO Saint John still has a ways to go. It quite resembles Portland, Maine from 25-30 years ago. Still, there is hope.
That is interesting. I rather liked Portland, Maine, 25 - 30 years ago.

Old 03-22-2023, 11:36 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times
Saint John is a nice place. I had an extended stay there some years ago, as my car broke down, and had to spend a few days in the shop. Thankfully, the car was still under warranty, so all I had to pay for was my stay, and meals. And there was nothing wrong with either.

But with little else to do while the car was in the shop, I explored. Pretty much all on foot, and I wandered all over. I found some very old cemeteries, and lovely old buildings with beautiful and unique stone carvings on them. I learned that at one time, Saint John was a major shipbuilding centre--the bartender at my hotel was a native, and he had a lot of tips on what to see, and explained the history of what I would see. I was fascinated by the tides (this is what happens when you grow up in a place without tides), and took a boat tour up the Reversing Falls, thanks to the tides.

A very nice city, with friendly people, and lots to see and do. My car was eventually fixed, and I left, but rather reluctantly. I hope to return some day.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:01 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Saint John is a nice place. I had an extended stay there some years ago, as my car broke down, and had to spend a few days in the shop. Thankfully, the car was still under warranty, so all I had to pay for was my stay, and meals. And there was nothing wrong with either.

But with little else to do while the car was in the shop, I explored. Pretty much all on foot, and I wandered all over. I found some very old cemeteries, and lovely old buildings with beautiful and unique stone carvings on them. I learned that at one time, Saint John was a major shipbuilding centre--the bartender at my hotel was a native, and he had a lot of tips on what to see, and explained the history of what I would see. I was fascinated by the tides (this is what happens when you grow up in a place without tides), and took a boat tour up the Reversing Falls, thanks to the tides.

A very nice city, with friendly people, and lots to see and do. My car was eventually fixed, and I left, but rather reluctantly. I hope to return some day.
I visited Saint John for the first time last June, saw the Reversing Falls, Fort Howe, etc.. I was happy to have seen it but it's probably not a city I would be thrilled to visit again in the near future. There are some aspects I liked about it too though of all the Canadian cities I had visited, it is definitely one of the most run down. Saint John really felt a lot more like - home i.e. New England. That's probably not a surprise given it is just an hour from the border. Saint John's crumbly, weed laden streets juxtaposed with its dense, working class architecture (Cape Cod homes and triple deckers in Canada!?) really made it feel like Fall River or New Bedford, MA albeit without the higher crime of its American twins. Irving's oil refinery definitely could fit in New Bedford or Fall River's setting. Downtown Saint John including the old port is a concern because 1) the New Brunswick Museum, the oldest museum in Canada, is indefinitely closed and may not ever be opened in Downtown again, 2) Brunswick Square, the main shopping centre, is over half vacant with no major anchor, and 3) there are still many run down buildings around Downtown. I can feel the neediness of the City by the looks of Downtown. Like Portland, ME, I can see Saint John relies heavily on cruise ship tourism. I mean the City has potential because it has a rich old history and is close by to other interesting places such as St. Martins but right now, unless a cruise ship is docked there or there's some major festival, it is quite dead on a normal day. I hope the City sees better days ahead.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:16 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times
US President Biden's address to the Canadian Parliament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKLS66H0nSY

Interestingly, he's only the ninth American president who has been invited to address Parliament.

Old 03-25-2023, 10:56 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
US President Biden's address to the Canadian Parliament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKLS66H0nSY

Interestingly, he's only the ninth American president who has been invited to address Parliament.
I always imagined IF, and it's a big IF, that if Trump were invited, he'd try and sit in the Speaker's Chair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada