Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 06:32 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I would opine one would have to have been among a group of Quebecers to have heard the slang word THEY invented to disparage THEIR own brethren before one would have even known they had the tendency to do so.

The salient point is; Quebecers themselves invented it to slight their own people and have no one but themselves to blame if it gets used by other than Quebecers, even in error.

They own it, lock, stock and slur.
You can do better, BruSan.

Please read the article, which was written by an English-speaking guy from Montreal. You are completely out to lunch with that interpretation, the first people to call Quebecers ‘pepsis’ definitely weren’t speaking French.

I have never ever heard this term used in real life. Maybe it’s because I avoid people who see the world as ‘them’ and ‘us’, nothing good ever comes from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 07:05 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
I read the link and have to go back to exactly who it was using the slang/slur in my experience and it definitely was not anyone other than the French Canadians to describe other French Canadians.

People living in Quebec would of course know more about the origins but the usage in my experience was not by Canadians towards Canadiens nor is it to this day by any of my acquaintances. At any of my naval reunions I've attended, it has always been used by the French Canadians towards their fellow members. If a slur was intended it certainly didn't elicit the expected result.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:46 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
Well, both could be true. I doubt francophone Quebecers came up with it but over time origins are lost and the article does make mention of francophones using it to each other.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:37 PM

927 posts, read 760,243 times
my landlady had a quebec-er exchange student and he showed me his passport which said return to bc embassy english or something like that , and he was all grrrrrrr

Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Gotta love how we have people arguing with targets of the slur, that it is not slur.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:20 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Gotta love how we have people arguing with targets of the slur, that it is not slur.
Saying it is not a slur when it was used on here as a slur by some one living in Ontario.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Saying it is not a slur when it was used on here as a slur by some one living in Ontario.
Who also says he's from Quebec.

My point is once again …. this emanates from within Quebec. Nowhere else in Canada would even be aware of this if it weren't for Quebecers themselves promulgating it.

The ONLY time I've ever heard this so-called slur being used was by French speaking Quebecers towards other French speaking Quebecers with it seemingly not being taken as the slur it's now being elevated to be.

Perhaps addressing this at the source and telling all French Canadians that this is indeed a slur that rises to the bar of now being called a "racist" comment by someone on here …. that no one, now claiming to be so outraged at the "us" versus "them" stuff, has shown any interest in correcting ….. would serve to arrest it's usage.

The ROC isn't the progenitor of this. Quebecers themselves are.

Last edited by BruSan; 11-05-2019 at 03:25 AM..

Old 11-05-2019, 05:02 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Who also says he's from Quebec.

My point is once again …. this emanates from within Quebec. Nowhere else in Canada would even be aware of this if it weren't for Quebecers themselves promulgating it.

The ONLY time I've ever heard this so-called slur being used was by French speaking Quebecers towards other French speaking Quebecers with it seemingly not being taken as the slur it's now being elevated to be.

Perhaps addressing this at the source and telling all French Canadians that this is indeed a slur that rises to the bar of now being called a "racist" comment by someone on here …. that no one, now claiming to be so outraged at the "us" versus "them" stuff, has shown any interest in correcting ….. would serve to arrest it's usage.

The ROC isn't the progenitor of this. Quebecers themselves are.
No **** Sherlock, a street slur originated in a place where both English-speaking and French-speaking people live (Montreal). Nobody would have expected it to originate in Red Deer.

But that must be OK since you heard 2 French-speaking guys use the word 40 years ago, therefore it cannot be a slur and therefore Snowhound couldn’t have possibly used the word in a derogatory fashion. Do you also think black people brought it upon themselves with the N word? No need to answer as I will no longer come back to this thread.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
No **** Sherlock, a street slur originated in a place where both English-speaking and French-speaking people live (Montreal). Nobody would have expected it to originate in Red Deer.

But that must be OK since you heard 2 French-speaking guys use the word 40 years ago, therefore it cannot be a slur and therefore Snowhound couldn’t have possibly used the word in a derogatory fashion. Do you also think black people brought it upon themselves with the N word? No need to answer as I will no longer come back to this thread.
Yeah Watson, it's still only a street slur used only by Quebecers, English and French alike, but in my experience of far more than just two FRENCH speaking individual towards each other (with no one taking the umbrage shown by the posters on here) against other Quebecers and since most of these threads are generated for the sole purpose of pitting the two solitudes against each other; suppose you direct your insults towards the source rather than the guy you've chosen as your target of the day.

Every reunion I've gone to over the span of those forty years, they've addressed each other in this manner and grinned while speaking and listening. Perhaps they're just a smart enough version to consider the source rather than resorting to the "us" and "them" nonsense you supposedly have so much disdain for.

Now you're going to erect a strawman fallacy of me supposedly being okay with the "N" word used by ANYBODY?

And not coming back to this thread is what you should have done in the first place if not wishing to partake of the "us' and "them" nonsense.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:50 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post

It also exists in Ottawa and the Ottawa Valley of Ontario which is outside Quebec but where anglophones and francophones rub shoulders.

I am pretty sure "tête carrée" was not invented by an anglophone, even though I've known anglophones who jokingly referred to themselves as that.

That doesn't mean that it's perfectly OK for me to use it in polite company, or that anglophones brought anglophobia (which does exist in Quebec to some degree) all upon themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada