Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 12:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well as expected you'd of course support that position but ignore the bigger point that there were no such thing as a less than French Friendly environment in the basic training of Canadian military back then as most new entries had no idea there was supposed to be a problem between anyone …… until the French Canadians made us aware of that. Indeed; basic training was virtually designed to make us all "equal".

And the point you're missing is; it was SINGULARLY their own French Canadian confreres that used that so-called slur. The rest of us had no idea what the h*ll it meant.

An "inferior position" did not exist in a place with thousands of new entries arriving by train from all over Canada including a bunch of Nigerians on a government exchange training ERA/HT courses.

The slur exists only because French Canadians make it so - no one else shives-a-git or even knows about the silly nonsense.

You can't blame Les Anglais for the stupid class distinction among French Canadians existing and fostered to this day by only French Canadians.
This is the point everyone seems to unable to grasp.

There exists in certain groups, slurs, that if called that by someone outside of the group, it would be taken as an insult. Inside the group no. It is a way of taking the power out of the word. That is why a black person may call another black person the N word, or a gay person calling another gay person, one of the many slurs that gay people get called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 12:19 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
First will California secede from the US before Quebec separates from Canada.
We went through that from April 1861 through April 1865. We are not eager for a repeat performance.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:22 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This is the point everyone seems to unable to grasp.

There exists in certain groups, slurs, that if called that by someone outside of the group, it would be taken as an insult. Inside the group no. It is a way of taking the power out of the word. That is why a black person may call another black person the N word, or a gay person calling another gay person, one of the many slurs that gay people get called.
Évidemment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIr4z-SEddA

Old 11-04-2019, 12:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acajack View Post

Old 11-04-2019, 02:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

And the point you're missing is; it was SINGULARLY their own French Canadian confreres that used that so-called slur. The rest of us had no idea what the h*ll it meant.

The slur exists only because French Canadians make it so - no one else shives-a-git or even knows about the silly nonsense.

You can't blame Les Anglais for the stupid class distinction among French Canadians existing and fostered to this day by only French Canadians.

This is the first time I've ever heard of it. It does seem kind of a silly regional thing to me.

Next thing you know, people will not only be getting called pepsis, there'll be people who are orange crushes, amber Canada drys, clear sprites, red cream sodas and green gatorades.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:19 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard of it. It does seem kind of a silly regional thing to me.

Well, isn't ever slur that ever existed a "silly regional thing"? It just depends on how large you want to cast the net when you define the "region".

These slurs exists most anywhere where large numbers of Anglo-Canadians and French Canadians live in close proximity.

I would guess that most residents in Chicoutimi, where there are almost no anglos, would not be familiar with "pepsi" and "pepper" as slurs for their people.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:49 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, isn't every slur that ever existed a "silly regional thing"? It just depends on how large you want to cast the net when you define the "region".

These slurs exists most anywhere where large numbers of Anglo-Canadians and French Canadians live in close proximity.

I would guess that most residents in Chicoutimi, where there are almost no anglos, would not be familiar with "pepsi" and "pepper" as slurs for their people.
I don't know. I have this book published in 1940 called The American Thesaurus of Slang (by American meaning slang used in all of the Americas) by Lester V. Berrey and Melvin Van den Bark. It is 1,175 pages of tens of thousands of slurs and synonyms that were/are still used in the Americas and Europe and it covers slurs and slang names devised (and the reasons why they came about) to refer to people all over the world. Now, today, there is another newer book recently published called The Thesaurus of American Slang by Robert Chapman that contains over 17,000 contemporary slurs and slang words. In both books, both the old and the new, some of them are silly but mean and petty, some are horrifically cruel and vicious. All are mean-spirited.

And people are still coming up with new slurs to this day. All it demonstrates to me is that humans everywhere, no matter what region they come from, are capable of continual voicing of mean-spirited viciousness and bullying towards all other humans.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:55 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
According to this link, Pepsi became a slur as the result of it being cheaper than coke and the Quebecois were poorer than the Anglos. I had never heard of it before so the post containing the slur made no sense to me.

https://maisonneuve.org/post/2010/02/4/how/

Wondering where I've been all these years...

Old 11-04-2019, 05:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
According to this link, Pepsi became a slur as the result of it being cheaper than coke and the Quebecois were poorer than the Anglos. I had never heard of it before so the post containing the slur made no sense to me.

https://maisonneuve.org/post/2010/02/4/how/

Wondering where I've been all these years...
I would opine one would have to have been among a group of Quebecers to have heard the slang word THEY invented to disparage THEIR own brethren before one would have even known they had the tendency to do so.

The salient point is; Quebecers themselves invented it to slight their own people and have no one but themselves to blame if it gets used by other than Quebecers, even in error.

They own it, lock, stock and slur.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:10 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
For the record, I lived in Ottawa years ago and this is the first time I have heard Pepsi used as a slur... maybe I just wasn't paying attention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada