Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 08:41 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Ottawa is just a short drive or train ride away from Montreal. If the O.P. decides just for a quick change to see a more Anglo-culture based Canadian city to balance out his experience in Montreal, then perhaps he ought to take a one day trip to visit Ottawa. I know Ottawa is no Toronto but it is Canada's national capital and he'd get to immerse in a lot of Canadian history, even in one day's visit one can take in a lot there. Just my suggestion.

O.P., don't forget to bring your passport. I always like to remind fellow Americans who don't often travel out of the country.
Though one cab sample Anglo-Canadian culture in Montréal as well. It is not as if it is absent from the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 05:13 PM

143 posts, read 133,401 times
I was going to say Montreal is clearly the obvious choice over Toronto for a visiting American who has to pick only one, but it looks like I didn't need to weigh in.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I had a friend from Edinburgh visiting and my first reaction was to take her to Tourist Spot #1 in Eastern Canada, the stone-built walled city of Old Quebec, then it immediately struck me that it was the least exotic location I could have chosen. For a Houstonian though, it would have been the other way around. My Scottish friend would have found the six lanes in each direction of the 401 freeway to be a truly exotic sight... meanwhile I'm sure the OP would not.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:09 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,568,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I was going to say Montreal is clearly the obvious choice over Toronto for a visiting American who has to pick only one, but it looks like I didn't need to weigh in.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I had a friend from Edinburgh visiting and my first reaction was to take her to Tourist Spot #1 in Eastern Canada, the stone-built walled city of Old Quebec, then it immediately struck me that it was the least exotic location I could have chosen. For a Houstonian though, it would have been the other way around. My Scottish friend would have found the six lanes in each direction of the 401 freeway to be a truly exotic sight... meanwhile I'm sure the OP would not.
good point, when I moved to Canada from UK I was not impressed by Quebec city due simply to its old look, Europe is full of old looks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada