Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 02:52 PM

565 posts, read 672,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Ste-Catherines feels like Queen Street West in a way for me.

I just feel Toronto has a bigger vibe overall. Although, I will get to assess this again, in May.
Avenue du Mont-Royal is more similar to Queen Street West imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 07:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I will check it out on my next visit.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Except for the parking signs =https://www.google.ca/search?q=montr...EQ8O9ut3dynDM:

Old 12-09-2019, 06:23 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That shouldn't cloud your understanding of Toronto..but perhaps it does.
I don't feel that it clouds my understanding of Toronto. I know both cities and their cultures quite well. I know what each of them is, and what they aren't.

There is nothing wrong with either city. But just like I would never say that Toronto is bursting with unique soulful character, I would never claim that Montreal is "(insert city name X) run by the Swiss", as some have said about Toronto.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:28 AM

[quote=Natnasci;56815232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Ste-Catherines feels like Queen Street West in a way for me.

Except for the area around Dundas (which feels like a trying-too-hard rip-off of Times Square, but let's set that aside for a moment), Yonge St. is underwhelming compared to Ste-Catherine.

Though I don't expect this to last and eventually Yonge will probably outclass Ste-Catherine given the dynamics of both cities - ie the sheer number of people in the GTA and Yonge St. as ground zero for the region.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:50 AM

565 posts, read 672,804 times
Quote:
Though I don't expect this to last and eventually Yonge will probably outclass Ste-Catherine given the dynamics of both cities - ie the sheer number of people in the GTA and Yonge St. as ground zero for the region.
At one point, it doesn't really matter how much people there are in the GTA vs Montreal; when half the population lives and works in the 905 or 450, they are so far away from the city centre that they lose the reflex to go downtown.

I don't think the "catchment area" of Yonge (i.e. how many people are willing to go shop there) is much bigger than Ste-Catherine street's. A lot of people who live in the suburbs only go to places like Vaughan Mills, Dix30 or Carrefour Laval, and don't come downtown anymore. It's mostly those who live in the central parts of the 416 and 514 are likely to go shop downtown, and these areas have a roughly similar population.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
At one point, it doesn't really matter how much people there are in the GTA vs Montreal; when half the population lives and works in the 905 or 450, they are so far away from the city centre that they lose the reflex to go downtown.

I don't think the "catchment area" of Yonge (i.e. how many people are willing to go shop there) is much bigger than Ste-Catherine street's. A lot of people who live in the suburbs only go to places like Vaughan Mills, Dix30 or Carrefour Laval, and don't come downtown anymore. It's mostly those who live in the central parts of the 416 and 514 are likely to go shop downtown, and these areas have a roughly similar population.
Yeah, this may be what happens as well.

Montreal is currently carrying out a major reconstruction project on an important segment of Ste-Catherine, so hopefully it won't hurt the street's economic fortunes too much. (As we saw with St-Denis when it was reconstructed.)

It would be too bad given the amazing renaissance that has occurred on Ste-Catherine over the past 15-20 years, to see all of that go to waste.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:48 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Yeah, this may be what happens as well.

Montreal is currently carrying out a major reconstruction project on an important segment of Ste-Catherine, so hopefully it won't hurt the street's economic fortunes too much. (As we saw with St-Denis when it was reconstructed.)

It would be too bad given the amazing renaissance that has occurred on Ste-Catherine over the past 15-20 years, to see all of that go to waste.
I wouldn't worry too much about that, especially given how much the "RESO" depends on it.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:36 PM

669 posts, read 321,500 times
What time of the year are you planning? That can impact on any events going on which might be an influence for your choice.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:41 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,629,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
What time of the year are you planning? That can impact on any events going on which might be an influence for your choice.
We plan on going from April 22nd-26th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada