Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 01:09 PM

1,230 posts, read 989,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Do you want everyone to have 5 acres as their lot? Serious question.

Don’t US cities have say allowing land to be built for homes but in Canada the city needs permission from the province and federal government. That is why the US has more sprawl and leap frog subdivision that do not exist in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The situation sounds very different in Manitoba.
What you can’t get house for $300,000 to $400,000 any more in Winnipeg?

Old 08-20-2023, 01:54 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Don’t US cities have say allowing land to be built for homes but in Canada the city needs permission from the province and federal government. That is why the US has more sprawl and leap frog subdivision that do not exist in Canada.
That could be but I don't live in the US. If Americans want sprawl, who am I to say no? Sounds terrible to me. I guess I'm not sure what you're asking or how that's relevant to Canada.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
What you can’t get house for $300,000 to $400,000 any more in Winnipeg?
Yes you can.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Are you referring to cities? In Saskatoon it's reported that houses are difficulty to find even though the price average is more modest $400K.
I must have missed this at one time you could get house for $200,000 in Regina and $200,000 in Saskatoon And house for $400,000 in Winnipeg and $400,000 in Edmonton but this was before Covid.

Now members here are sayings price of house as gone up in those areas now. So if the price of house is going for $500,000 in those areas now I’m shocked.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
That could be but I don't live in the US. If Americans want sprawl, who am I to say no? Sounds terrible to me. I guess I'm not sure what you're asking or how that's relevant to Canada.
As general rule Australia and Canada adopted the American culture of suburb. And post ww2 suburb boom. And well suburbs will always be sprawl.

The post ww2 suburb boom in the US and Canada and Australia adopted the culture in contrast to say Hong Kong or Tokyo of condos and apartments.

Post www2 suburb.
http://postwarusa.weebly.com/uploads.../667938006.jpg

Tokyo city
https://cdn.audleytravel.com/-/-/79/...e-of-tokyo.jpg

Old 08-20-2023, 03:21 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Quote:
I must have missed this at one time you could get house for $200,000 in Regina and $200,000 in Saskatoon And house for $400,000 in Winnipeg and $400,000 in Edmonton but this was before Covid.

Now members here are sayings price of house as gone up in those areas now. So if the price of house is going for $500,000 in those areas now I’m shocked.
Who here said that you had to pay $500,000 for a house in Winnipeg?

Here’s a list of current MLS listed homes for sale in Winnipeg for less than $400,000: https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...0&Currency=CAD

Here’s a similar list for Saskatoon: https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...0&Currency=CAD

Old 08-20-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
As general rule Australia and Canada adopted the American culture of suburb. And post ww2 suburb boom. And well suburbs will always be sprawl.

The post ww2 suburb boom in the US and Canada and Australia adopted the culture in contrast to say Hong Kong or Tokyo of condos and apartments.

Post www2 suburb.
http://postwarusa.weebly.com/uploads.../667938006.jpg

Tokyo city
https://cdn.audleytravel.com/-/-/79/...e-of-tokyo.jpg

You can't compare Tokyo and any North American city. Japan is an old country. You're going to have sprawl in a young country and because of the vastness of the land people are going to take it for granted. But surely it isn't hard to see that sprawl cannot continue. If Canada got it under control earlier that's all to the good.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
You can't compare Tokyo and any North American city. Japan is an old country. You're going to have sprawl in a young country and because of the vastness of the land people are going to take it for granted. But surely it isn't hard to see that sprawl cannot continue. If Canada got it under control earlier that's all to the good.
All cities are sprawl in the world is goes down is it low, medium or high density sprawl.

Canada it seems has been limiting growth in 90s and may be bit in the 80s. If farmland is more prime in Canada than say the Midwest or south in the US that could be why. It is also could be those cities built out in the 90s or even in the 80s.

You have to show source if poll of GTA folks are appose sprawl as it only you and saying that the case.

Now if it is a farmland issue that is other issue all together. I don’t think people in the GTA are any different than the Midwest or South when comes to culture of driving vehicle and house.

But if the there is very little available farmland in Canada unlike the US that could be the reason the government is limiting sprawl no matter what people want.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:47 PM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
Sprawl happens because people here love their fully detached houses with a garage and a nice backyard and 3,000+ square feet to store all their "stuff".

My buddy is the typical old dude here, thinking that "condo's" are ripoffs and buying a detached house = the only way to go (in terms of the best way to live).

My relatives all use to live downtown in small old semi-detached houses... they "upgraded" and moved to the suburbs and bought fully detached new or newer built houses. Nice clean concrete everywhere.

I use to live in a condo. I loved it. Definitely a lot less space, but it kinda forces you to only buy what you need. Quality instead of quantity.

The problem is that a lot of ppl still want houses and see high density housing as 2nd tier. We need to stop thinking that way and instead of continuing our sprawl, we encourage more ppl to buy condo's / apt's. Give small tax breaks (like that pesky land transfer tax nonsense) to condo buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada