Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 11:44 AM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times

Advertisements

Why out side of the GTA is very expensive?

Why is average price of home in Niagara $800,000 and St. Catharines 1 million. And Kitchener $800,000 and Brantford $700,000 to $800,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 01:13 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
They call the region the Golden Horseshoe Region for a reason. That whole western bend of Lake Ontario is the most prosperous and highly sought part of Ontario and perhaps all of Canada. The GTA only makes up a portion of the larger Golden Horseshoe Region. Housing is expensive because there is much demand for housing there and supply is not meeting demand. Those prices you quoted are typical of the East and West Coasts of the US as well as Greater Vancouver, again highly sought after places with insufficient housing supply so it comes to no surprise to me.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:36 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Everywhere is facing a short supply of homes.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:58 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Everywhere is facing a short supply of homes.
Not where I live, which is Manitoba. I suspect not in Saskatchewan either.

I have read that there’s is an uptick of people moving to Alberta, because prices there are lower than where they came from.

Old 08-19-2023, 02:17 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

I have read that there’s is an uptick of people moving to Alberta, because prices there are lower than where they came from.
Are you referring to cities? In Saskatoon it's reported that houses are difficulty to find even though the price average is more modest $400K.

Old 08-19-2023, 02:38 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

I see reports on the housing shortage all the time. https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/hous...port-1.5738068

Old 08-19-2023, 02:44 PM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
They call the region the Golden Horseshoe Region for a reason. That whole western bend of Lake Ontario is the most prosperous and highly sought part of Ontario and perhaps all of Canada. The GTA only makes up a portion of the larger Golden Horseshoe Region. Housing is expensive because there is much demand for housing there and supply is not meeting demand. Those prices you quoted are typical of the East and West Coasts of the US as well as Greater Vancouver, again highly sought after places with insufficient housing supply so it comes to no surprise to me.
Those cities I posted are far away from the GTA and are out in the country. So it not like it close to the GTA like 15 minute drive.

Those cities have not double in population in the past 20 years but only modest growth.

Old 08-19-2023, 04:08 PM

1,112 posts, read 606,309 times
I'm sure supply and demand issues have "some" effect on the uptick in pricing, but I doubt they are all cases of shortages of housing.

Now in the "university / school" towns (Kitchener), you have parents buying houses for their kids to go to school there. Plus you will get investors buying out homes to rent out to students. So yeah there will always be more buyers from out of town.

Then you have the people moving out of the GTA into the surrounding areas... they are sick of the high prices, but their mass exodus also makes creates inflation in the towns they move into.

Personally I feel bad for any young person trying to get a house nowadays. Who can afford a mortgage for $700,000 and up?

Old 08-19-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I see reports on the housing shortage all the time. https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/hous...port-1.5738068
That’s interesting. I read the Winnipeg Free Press and the Winnipeg Reddit every day and have never seen any reference to a housing shortage. I would have thought if there was a housing shortage or a shortage of rental apartments that someone local would write about it (or complain about it). The election is in about 6 weeks. If there was a severe housing shortage, wouldn’t it be a campaign issue?

Reading the report, the conclusion that there is a housing shortage in Manitoba is solely based on this mathematical formula:

No. of housing units / (Population/1000)

Zero research appears to have been done (e.g. actually talking to the real estate board) to support the conclusion.

There is a housing shortage on northern Reserves but that’s nothing new. Multiple generations can live in same home as a result. Of course, that shortage there has nothing to do with immigration and a lot to do with the remoteness of the communities.

Of course, we do have a homeless problem too but probably less than provinces with milder climates.

Last edited by cdnirene; 08-19-2023 at 06:33 PM..

Old 08-19-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Are you referring to cities? In Saskatoon it's reported that houses are difficulty to find even though the price average is more modest $400K.
If a potential buyer was willing to pay more than other potential buyers, I’m sure they could find a house. It would still be a bargain compared to Vancouver or Toronto prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada