Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 10:17 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...here you go....if it's true, a pretty strong clue he was actually a thrill seeker....
I don't necessarily disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Not surprising that he had a PhD.
Read that unlike the "mercenaries", "volunteers" do not take directives from Kyviv.
How many Ph.Ds go to war?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
It would make sense it's the same guy. According to the link posted in here, his areas of teaching and his publications show he had a clear interest in Eastern European conflicts and politics.
Yes, I read that. It would be odd to have 2 guys with the same name in that region but I can't decide whether that's any odder than a Ph.D fighting a fight that didn't come to him.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:30 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

Yes, I read that. It would be odd to have 2 guys with the same name in that region but I can't decide whether that's any odder than a Ph.D fighting a fight that didn't come to him.
Apologies in advance, this is way off topic but made me think of this.
An author I’ve enjoyed throughout my life Mordecai Richler has a theme in a couple of his novels about educated Canadian volunteers fighting in the Spanish and Chinese civil wars in the 1930s and 1940s. Fiction, yes, but has a basis on history. Norman Bethune, Canadian Communist physician from Gravenhurst, Ontario comes to mind for the Chinese Civil War (keep in mind this was before Mao’s atrocities in the Great Leap Forward came to light).
Here’s a good article about the Spanish Civil War’s Canadian volunteers. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....eau-battalion#

Keep in mind, this was before the Cold War. Fascism was the big threat back then.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:57 AM

1,219 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It is rare for a Phd.s to join the military and become a regular soldier, but when you look at conflicts, civil wars and revolutions around the globe, you see many educated people taking up arms and joining causes of thier own free will. It is their ideology that drives them to do so. Che Guevara was a physician, he wasn't a peasant. He was driven by ideology to become a revolutionary in Cuba, a country far away from his own. Fidel castro was a law student. They were both from privileged families. Not only did they join the revolutionay movement, they and people like them became the leaders. The fight didn't come to them, they chose it.

Quote:
It's not odd it makes perfect sense, specially seeing his areas of interest. He felt ideologically and/or emotionally connected to that region.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:19 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
It is rare for a Phd.s to join the military and become a regular soldier, but when you look at conflicts, civil wars and revolutions around the globe, you see many educated people taking up arms and joining causes of thier own free will. It is their ideology that drives them to do so. Che Guevara was a physician, he wasn't a peasant. He was driven by ideology to become a revolutionary in Cuba, a country far away from his own. Fidel castro was a law student. They were both from privileged families. Not only did they join the revolutionay movement, they and people like them became the leaders. The fight didn't come to them, they chose it.

George Orwell fought in the Spanish Civil War, did he not?

Old 03-21-2024, 11:20 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
It's definitely the same guy. As has been mentioned just look at the topics of his university papers.

His name is obviously from here, but not that common. No doubt it's him.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's definitely the same guy. As has been mentioned just look at the topics of his university papers.

His name is obviously from here, but not that common. No doubt it's him.
How did he have time to be an MMA fighter, in the French Foreign Legion and all the other things that show up under his name? An MMA fighter!?

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter...ancois-ratelle

Old 03-21-2024, 11:37 AM

1,219 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
yes I bellieve he did, I forgot about that.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:

It's not odd it makes perfect sense, specially seeing his areas of interest. He felt ideologically and/or emotionally connected to that region.
His history would suggest he was always in search of a fight.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:38 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
really interesting article on that very subject

https://www.speakingofspain.com/spai...us-about-spain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada