Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 11:41 AM

11,414 posts, read 5,967,061 times

Advertisements

Yawn.

A lot of people died last year. Many younger than 36 years old. Lots of innocent folks killed by murderers, died in car wrecks or other accidents, by drug overdose, starved. Murdered by their own governments. Ask the Haitians how life feels right now.

What is special about this guy?

He didn't die defending his country. He died fighting somebody else's fight. I would call that kind of stupid. This is not like the Canadiens who went to England to fight the Nazis because they knew that war would spread. Putin is not invading Montreal any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 11:41 AM

1,219 posts, read 491,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
His history would suggest he was always in search of a fight.
So you agree with saturno? He was just looking for an adventure? He was a thrill seeker?

Old 03-21-2024, 11:46 AM

1,219 posts, read 491,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

He didn't die defending his country. He died fighting somebody else's fight.
This is a good point. I admire his bravery and courage, Not everyone is willing to take up arms and fight, but I think it is a stretch to call him a patriot and Canadian hero. Maybe Netwit and Saturno are right, maybe he was just looking for a fight/adventure.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:20 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,320,351 times
Quote:
How many Ph.Ds go to war?
Differrent pay grade.

The link that you provided did say that he sustained his injury(ies) in Belgorod, Russia ... n'est pas?

May he RIP.
And deepest condolences to his family.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:57 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
How did he have time to be an MMA fighter, in the French Foreign Legion and all the other things that show up under his name? An MMA fighter!?

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter...ancois-ratelle
No one ever said he did all of that stuff full-time, or even *well*.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
So you agree with saturno? He was just looking for an adventure? He was a thrill seeker?
I think this article covers it https://medium.com/war-is-boring/seb...ar-f163804cbf6

Old 03-21-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Differrent pay grade.

The link that you provided did say that he sustained his injury(ies) in Belgorod, Russia ... n'est pas?

May he RIP.
And deepest condolences to his family.
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:01 PM

It's fair to say I am against any country with Putin as leader. He is a very dangerous man and I expect him to lead us into a war. But, playing devil's advocate here, do you think the US would take it lying down if Canada switched sides and allied itself with Russia? When Ukraine starts talking about joining the EU or NATO, how was Russia going to react? It sucks for Ukraine but there is no way in hell that a country bordering Russia can ever be more than Russia's satellite.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:09 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
It's fair to say I am against any country with Putin as leader. He is a very dangerous man and I expect him to lead us into a war. But, playing devil's advocate here, do you think the US would take it lying down if Canada switched sides and allied itself with Russia? When Ukraine starts talking about joining the EU or NATO, how was Russia going to react? It sucks for Ukraine but there is no way in hell that a country bordering Russia can ever be more than Russia's satellite.
The comparisons with 1930s Europe are uncanny at this point. He’s taken Abkhazia and South Ossetia. NATO let that slide. He annexed Crimea, NATO let that slide. The Baltics have always bordered Russia, and I fully believe they would have been invaded already if they were not part of NATO. Undoubtedly Moldova is next in Putin’s crosshairs if he is successful in Ukraine, trying to prevent unification with Romania and eventual NATO membership once again. Mark my words, Lithuania, Latvia or Estonia WILL be invaded if Putin is successful. He wants a land corridor to Kaliningrad. We are not war mongers for supporting the Ukrainians in this existential war. Putin along with Xi are the two most dangerous world leaders in at least the last 50 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Yawn.

A lot of people died last year. Many younger than 36 years old. Lots of innocent folks killed by murderers, died in car wrecks or other accidents, by drug overdose, starved. Murdered by their own governments. Ask the Haitians how life feels right now.

What is special about this guy?

He didn't die defending his country. He died fighting somebody else's fight. I would call that kind of stupid. This is not like the Canadiens who went to England to fight the Nazis because they knew that war would spread. Putin is not invading Montreal any time soon.
A take just as one would expect from a guy named Igor. You don’t seem to know much about Canada. Millions of Canadians have lineage back to Ukraine. Even me, of partial German descent via Ukraine. Ukraine getting invaded for Canadians is like Ireland getting invaded would be for Americans.

Last edited by pdw; 03-21-2024 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-21-2024, 02:23 PM

@pdw re war-mongering - are we just stupid then? Hypocritical? https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/01/19...ral-illusions/

Re Germans via Ukraine - we might have lived there originally, but it was at the invitation of the Russian Empire not an independent Ukraine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada