Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezx View Post
If you are 100% you have a spotless record - go ahead and visit CA. Otherwise, heed my prudent advice. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO VISIT CANADA IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT MIGHT SHOW UP ON A CRIMINAL DATABASE NO MATTER HOW TRIVIAL OR LONG AGO. I have been through the process and I know what I am talking about.
I also have been through countless times and can say that even today, this is not 100% true. You have had a hard time, don't assume everybody with anything on their record will be deemed unfit for entry.

I used to live 6 1/2 miles from a border crossing and having friends in Canada number almost the same as the US, I went over at LEAST 2 times a week, sometimes almost every day. Always stopped and questioned about my record in Canada, but NEVER refused admittance (Not counting the one time they deported me ). I lived there until 4 months ago, and made crossings up until the day I moved.

General Advice for anybody traveling: If there is any question about your eligibility to cross into Canada, you should always check with Canadian Customs BEFORE you show up at their "doorstep" with big plans. That goes for any foreign country you want to visit. Honesty and attitude are key. Sound shady or like you are trying to hide something, or act condescending and mouthy to border guards and guess what; not even the Pope will get through with most of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 01:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezx View Post
I'm not talking about serious crimes here folks. I'm taking about the most trivial minor misdemeaner charges that they can drag up off a data base up to 30-40 years back.

Sure it is reasonable to deny access to violent offenders, sex predators, theives, etc., but how about people with 20 year old misdemeaner charges like tresspassing, passing a bad check, marijuana possession, etc.

One comment was made here that a group of travelers made the crossing with a young lady with a criminal record. You were lucky and chances are next time this individual will be in for a very unpleasant experience.

The other comment implying that anyone denied entry with a criminal record must be a child molester is just idiotic. There are tens of millions of people with a minor misdemeaner charges that are affected by these new nazi border regulations that are upstanding, good and honest people.

So I repeat - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO VISIT CANADA IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT MIGHT SHOW UP ON A CRIMINAL DATABASE NO MATTER HOW TRIVIAL OR LONG AGO.

Lots of other places to go to have fun and spend money without being harrassed. With policies like this affecting so many people in the US, no wonder US to Canada border crossing and tourism is down 30%+ over the last few years.
They will not deny you admission to Canada over minor misdomeanors such as marijuana unless you attempt to LIE about it at the inspection post. Then you are being denied for making false statements to immigration and not for the offense itself. The only misdomeanor that can get you barred is a recent DUI conviction.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
Sounds fair to me. Will you be alert if someone with a record knocks on your door and wants to mingle with your children?
People need to remember that Canada shares a border with such "wonderful" places as Detroit and Buffalo NY and that they have to be more careful about who they let in.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:21 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
I think honesty goes a long way. When asked, be honest. The only time I have had trouble crossing the border was in Detroit where US customs searched my car and Buffalo, NY where I was grilled on why I was going to the US. Despite living in Toronto, I have a US passport so this one puzzled me. Never trouble going back to the Canada, almost always a pleasant experience, at worse a polite experience. I ended up getting a Nexus card, last time I went back to Canada the customs person did not open her window, she looked at my info after I had scanned my card, smiled and waved me on!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:25 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
People need to remember that Canada shares a border with such "wonderful" places as Detroit and Buffalo NY and that they have to be more careful about who they let in.

Indeed! I would imagine I would be more scrutinized at those port of entries versus the one I use to get to Winnipeg... middle of nowhere NoDak.

I would suggest to the OP to try less-frequented port of entries, they might have more relaxed guards.

Same with Mexico. I had to options when I lived in Yuma: Andrade and San Luis. San Luis, high traffic, they inspect everything. Andrade, lowet traffic, they cared a lot less.

Last edited by Old Surrender; 11-17-2008 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Mexico exp. for context.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,080,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm going to disagree with the initial post here. In my experiences the "Nazis" (for lack of a better term) have been on the US side and even then, it hasn't been bad. My most recent crossing was in Jackman, Maine with 3 other people, one of whom had a criminal record. Entering Canada was a pleasant process (the offense on the young lady's record was not even mentioned) as well as an easy one.
Same here. The most recent crossing for me at Blane, WA was about as always: Canadian side was firm, no-nonsense but polite. U.S. side was "attitude central" with stupid complaints about passports not being handed over "open." After a few minutes of grumbling, a begrudging admittance was granted. To be honest, aside from the long lines at San Ysidro, crossing back to the U.S. from Mexico is a friendlier experience as far as ICE is concerned.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
So, can you cross into Canada with an U.S. 10-year DUI? Can you drive in CA with one? I have been having this arguement with my husband for...oh, about 10 years. Now we are six miles from Mexico, so it doesn't really apply, but we have spent most of our lives close to the Canadian border. There have been places I've wanted to visit, and I wanted to at least entertain the idea of driving through on the Canadian side when moving from New Hampshire to Wisconsin, but he always dismisses the idea right away. Any input would quench a 10-year curiousity (don't know why I never looked online. I think I tried once and couldn't figure it out...).

Old 11-18-2008, 12:49 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
So, can you cross into Canada with an U.S. 10-year DUI? Can you drive in CA with one? I have been having this arguement with my husband for...oh, about 10 years. Now we are six miles from Mexico, so it doesn't really apply, but we have spent most of our lives close to the Canadian border. There have been places I've wanted to visit, and I wanted to at least entertain the idea of driving through on the Canadian side when moving from New Hampshire to Wisconsin, but he always dismisses the idea right away. Any input would quench a 10-year curiousity (don't know why I never looked online. I think I tried once and couldn't figure it out...).

Your husband is PARTLY right. Here's the link to answer your question.

Consulate General Minneapolis :: Major Issues :: DUI and Admissibility

Basically, if it's been ten years since the conviction and all of the fines, jail time, probation, etc. is done, you can ask Canada permission to enter and be deemed rehabbed. However, Canada can still say no. Less than 10 years, no way, Jose.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Say you're a US citizen attempting to re-enter the US. You have your passport, etc., but for whatever reason the Customs people decide to rag on you. How can they deny you entry into your own country, in the end? If you are bringing anything criminal or doing anything criminal or have warrants out, etc, surely they can turn you over to law enforcement. But if none of that's the case, and they inspect your vehicle and all is utterly clean, what are they going to do? Send you back to Canada?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 AM

13 posts, read 156,167 times
LOL! Like 'being honest' with Canadian Immigration about a previous minor misdemeanor will result in a positive experience. I have been nothing but honest about my prior minor offence and this has only resulted in increasing demands for obscure documentation and fees to process applications. Once you admit anything to Canadian Immigration, they will flag your file and cause you a world of grief.

Better to lie to those fukkers and simply leave and never come back if they actually check your record and bring up a 20 year old minor offence. As for the person asking about the 10 year old DUI charge - Just forget about visiting Canada for casual/vacation reasons - it's not worth it. You will have to collect a pile of documents detailing your entire life's history and then have to pay some ridiculous charges and then wait 1-2 years for possible approval on your 'rehabilitation'. Canadian Immigrations will not help you with any questions about the process and you will most likely have to hire an immigration attorney to deal with even the simplest of situations.

DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY - CANADA IS NOT WORTH VISITING IF YOU HAVE EVER BEEN ARRESTED FOR ANY OFFENCE ANYWHERE. SAVE YOU MONEY, YOUR DIGNITY AND YOUR TIME AND JUST GO VACATION IN MINNESOTA OR VERMONT IF YOU WANT TO TRAVEL 'UP NORTH'. IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE CASCADES - JUST STAY IN WASHINGTON - NO REASON TO VISIT CANADA IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada