Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of differences in food. Milk for instance. In the states the majority milk has BGH ( bovine growth hormone ). You can find some without, but it will cost more. It is illegal in Canada and Europe.

Another difference is the use of corn syrup in the U.S. We use it too, but not to the same degree. For example our Coca Cola is made with sugar, theirs with corn syrup.

I was shopping the other day and needed sweet italian sausage and hot italian sausage. The first store, a large chain, had a U.S. brand. Both sausages contained corn syrup. I could understand using a sweetener for the sweet one, but both? I didn't buy it and later bought a local brand that had no corn syrup or any sweetener of any kind in the hot, they did list sugar in the sweet one though. I'm sure you can buy non corn syrup sausages in the U.S. but I still found it's use odd.

A drink by the same name is not the same in both countries. Smirnoff Ice. In the U.S. it is malted beverage and contains no vodka. In Canada it is made with vodka. Don't like either though.

Can't buy Shreddies in the U.S. either.

On a more general note, i find even in some of the bigger U.S. cities their grocery stores have a smaller scale of choices when it comes to international and ethnic foods. It seems I'm always referred to a " specialty " store when looking for items that are on most Canadian store shelves.

Cheese. Again the average supermarket in the U.S. seems only to stock U.S. cheese. I have seen some good selection in smaller grocery stores like Zupan's in Oregon, but that could be regarded as a specialty shop. I once counted over 100 varities of cheese from all over the world at a regular suburban grocery store, outside of Vancouver. In the U.S. you can't however find any unpasteurized cheese that is under 60 days old since they aren't allowed to import it. In Canada we had the same restriction, but now there are certain Quebec cheeses and some from France that are under 60 days of maturing and are allowed.Not a big deal, but a friend who works in Vancouver with cheese says that Americans come up to buy. Again not big deal for most, unless you are a cheese-aholic

Lastly, chocolate. The requirements for what can be called chocolate differ from country to country. I found this interesting, and answers the question why I find some U.S. chocolate waxy tasting. I wonder if this is why the term candy bar is prevalent in the U.S. whereas we use chocolate bar. Also the lobbying mentioned below is worrisome. I'd hate to see them succeed in case it influenced our own chocolate industry.

United States
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the naming and ingredients of cocoa products:[6][7]
Product Chocolate Liquor Milk Solids Sugar Cocoa Fat Milk Fat
Milk Chocolate ≥ 10% ≥ 12%
Sweet Chocolate ≥ 15% < 12%
Semisweet or Bittersweet (Dark) Chocolate ≥ 35% < 12%
White Chocolate ≥ 14% ≤ 55% ≥ 20% ≥ 3.5%
In March 2007, the Chocolate Manufacturers Association, whose members include Hershey's, Nestlé, and Archer Daniels Midland, began lobbying the FDA to change the legal definition of chocolate to allow the substitution of "safe and suitable vegetable fats and oils" (including partially hydrogenated vegetable oils) for cocoa butter in addition to using "any sweetening agent" (including artificial sweeteners) and milk substitutes.[8] Currently, the FDA does not allow a product to be referred to as "chocolate" if the product contains any of these ingredients.[9] To work around this restriction, products with cocoa substitutes are often branded or labeled as "chocolatey."
[edit]Canada

The legislation for cocoa and chocolate products in Canada is found in Division 4 of the Food and Drug Regulations (FDR), under the Food and Drugs Act (FDA). The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the FDR and FDA (as it relates to food).[10]
Product Cocoa Butter Milk Solids Milk Fat Fat-Free Cocoa Solids Cocoa Solids
Milk Chocolate ≥ 15% ≥ 12% ≥ 3.39% ≥ 2.5% ≥ 25%
Sweet Chocolate ≥ 18% < 12% ≥ 12% ≥ 30%
Chocolate, Bittersweet Chocolate, Semi-sweet Chocolate or Dark Chocolate ≥ 18% < 5% ≥ 14% ≥ 35%
White Chocolate ≥ 20% ≤ 14% ≥ 3.5%
The use of cocoa butter substitutes in Canada is not permitted. Chocolate sold in Canada cannot contain vegetable fats or oils.[11]
The only sweetening agents permitted in chocolate in Canada are listed in Division 18 of the Food and Drug Regulations.[12] Artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, and sugar alcohols (sorbitol, maltitol, etc.) are not permitted.
Products manufactured or imported into Canada that contain non-permitted ingredients (vegetable fats or oils, artificial sweeteners) cannot legally be called “chocolate” when sold in Canada. A non-standardized name such as “candy” must be used.[11]

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-28-2013 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
milk in the us tastes like water to me. i cant drink it...
my wife has become the same way now that she has grown accustom to drinking milk in Canada. where she would never believe me before saying the milk tasted like nothing to me, she now understands and feels the exact same when going back home

weird stuff

Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 PM

328 posts, read 997,304 times
Maybe I am way off on this one. But does anyone know where to buy frozen bread dough in Canada? I have looked at No Frills and Loblaws and didn't see any. Am I looking in the right place? I would like to make pizza and pepperoni rolls. I know Rhodes Bread Dough doesn't exist here.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM

328 posts, read 997,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
milk in the us tastes like water to me. i cant drink it...
my wife has become the same way now that she has grown accustom to drinking milk in Canada. where she would never believe me before saying the milk tasted like nothing to me, she now understands and feels the exact same when going back home

weird stuff
I have heard this too. I have an aunt and uncle that live in the states and when they came to Canada they said both the milk and the beef taste weird. My uncle said it tasted like powdered milk and my aunt said the beef was so bad she vowed to never eat Canadian beef again. I really don't notice a big difference but I slightly prefer American beef.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
Maybe I am way off on this one. But does anyone know where to buy frozen bread dough in Canada? I have looked at No Frills and Loblaws and didn't see any. Am I looking in the right place? I would like to make pizza and pepperoni rolls. I know Rhodes Bread Dough doesn't exist here.
Sobeys, Safeway and Superstore (Loblaws) all carry frozen bread dough. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place? I believe it is usually in the freezers with the tenderflake pie crusts. If you can't find it, I'd ask someone but it's out there, and I've never found it hard to find.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 AM

17 posts, read 35,093 times
Kitty71 in Rochester there is a chain store called Wegmans where you can get Canadian products. I live about 2 hours south but the chain is quite prevalent in NYS. Missing foods has always been a big issue for me and my mum. We recently went to visit Bro in Ottawa and went into National Grocers and loaded up on stuff we got some looks til we said we li e in the US then people gave us the pity nod!LOL

The one thing i have ne er been able to find in the US is fish and chips made with Halibut! And of course sausage rolls many Americans have never heard of them !

Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,229,126 times
I can't stand the taste of American milk, it just has an odd flavour, very off putting.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
They used to sell pizza at Canadian McDonald! How did it taste for all you folks who live in Canada that have tried McDonalds pizza????????

Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
I can't stand the taste of American milk, it just has an odd flavour, very off putting.
Milk is the same everywhere unless of course it isn't fresh.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Milk is the same everywhere unless of course it isn't fresh.
Actually it isn't. It depends on what the cows eat and how they live and of course what antibiotics and chemicals are given to the cows.
The U.S. seems to have a lot of " extra " things going on with dairy.

Dirty Dairy: What You Need to Know About Milk | AllergyKids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada