Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:22 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,333 times

Advertisements

I have been living in the US for 6 years now... and there are certain foods that I have never been able to find here that equal what I am used to. Mainly these are junk food items, so it doesn't REALLY matter, yet every so often I get a craving....

What about:

Ruffles "All dressed" chips
Mars bar
Caramilk bar
Wonderbar
President's Choice white cheddar Mac'n'cheese
Harvest Crunch cereal

and for me, the most IMPORTANT:

the chip dips!!! I hate sour cream, and in Canada you can get those Philly (ironically enough, living so close to Philly myself) Cream cheese chip dips that are not available here - I love the dill pickle and Herb and spice.

OH!! Let's not forget Coffee Crisp chocolate bars!!

These are the junky items I must purchase every time I visit back home.

And - for anyone who has ever enjoyed a real Greek pizza - (western canadian thing, actually, possibly specific to Saskatoon) - darn it all, don't you miss it something fierce???!!! All those toppings and meat, nothing like the thin little tasteless pies they call pizza here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 07:04 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Kitty,
If there is a CostPlus World Market, (now called just World Market) near you, you'll be able to find all those items except the mac and cheese and the cereal. The chocolate bars, (candy bars here in the states, lol) are easy to find.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:32 PM

550 posts, read 2,824,937 times
Michigan has Verners Gingerale and Saunders Hot Fudge. Can't get those here in Canada.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Kitty,
If there is a CostPlus World Market, (now called just World Market) near you, you'll be able to find all those items except the mac and cheese and the cereal. The chocolate bars, (candy bars here in the states, lol) are easy to find.
I have never heard of the store you mention, so I guess there likely isn't one nearby. the good news is that we will be only a couple of hours from the border (we are moving to Rochester in about a month) and I did notice that you can get Coffee Crisp bars there (didn't see the rest of the stuff).

Here in PA those things I mentioned might as well be foods from China or some other exotic place - but I find that most things Canadian are extremely "foreign" in the area I'm currently living.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:54 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
Oh man Kitty...you're makin my mouth water! "All dressed" chips...yummy, yummy....and those dill pickle.....mmmmm Not to mention those scrumptios ketchup chips....lol Hmmm they're ok but those "all dressed"!!!!
Now the chocolate bars. We always get my mom to bring down a bunch of chocolate bars each time she comes down... Coffee Crisp...mmmmmmmm
Caramelo is just like Caramilk Oh I miss those big turks!!!
........Gravy!!!!! oh I miss gravy with my fries. Sometimes I would order gravy at KFC with my potato wedges and people would look at me like I was nuts.
One thing I absolutely love about living here though is the Mexican Food. In Edmonton Mexican Food is pretty much non existant. Although the Asian up there is a lot better than here. I miss my Doan' (Vietnamese restaurant)

Old 05-25-2007, 12:21 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I live near Rochester and you should be able to find most all those things here.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I live near Rochester and you should be able to find most all those things here.
WOOHOO!!!!

Dreameyes, yes, I miss the Vietnamese and other Asian cuisine from Canada, too... and how could I forget the ketchup chips!!!

You're right with the Mexican, though, too - there is definitely more S. American and Mexican cuisine down here.

POUTINE!! I know you said you like gravy - ME TOO! but I also miss the A & W poutine - about a million calories, but ohh, every once in a while, it hit the spot!

Old 05-25-2007, 06:33 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,019 times
I have to say.... I haven't found much for pizza that compares to Canadian pizza -- there just isn't enough topping. To me, cheese and tomato sauce is the equivalent of the bun on a burger!

Old 05-25-2007, 06:48 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty71 View Post
I have been living in the US for 6 years now... and there are certain foods that I have never been able to find here that equal what I am used to. Mainly these are junk food items, so it doesn't REALLY matter, yet every so often I get a craving....

What about:

Ruffles "All dressed" chips
Mars bar
Caramilk bar
Wonderbar
President's Choice white cheddar Mac'n'cheese
Harvest Crunch cereal

and for me, the most IMPORTANT:

the chip dips!!! I hate sour cream, and in Canada you can get those Philly (ironically enough, living so close to Philly myself) Cream cheese chip dips that are not available here - I love the dill pickle and Herb and spice.

OH!! Let's not forget Coffee Crisp chocolate bars!!

These are the junky items I must purchase every time I visit back home.

And - for anyone who has ever enjoyed a real Greek pizza - (western canadian thing, actually, possibly specific to Saskatoon) - darn it all, don't you miss it something fierce???!!! All those toppings and meat, nothing like the thin little tasteless pies they call pizza here!!
Ruffles "All Dressed up" Chips. Here are Ruffles "WORKS" chips Mars Bars Are in Just about every Convenience store I have ever been in. And wonder Bars are at most But not all, local Super Markets. As for your Cream Cheese dips. Here they are called Veggie dips or Beagle Spreads. Most super Markets have them By the Cream Cheese, in a round plastic dish. Hope this helps you.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
I have to say.... I haven't found much for pizza that compares to Canadian pizza -- there just isn't enough topping. To me, cheese and tomato sauce is the equivalent of the bun on a burger!
Right on bro. Man as soon as I did my post about 5 min. later I was like Oh ya the pizza!........how could I forget. I never liked Pizza Hut (I guess cause my step dad ordered it so much) until I came here now I think the Pizza Hut in Edmonton is Awesome! And how could I forget Boston Pizza............mmmmmmmmmm mmmmm....The Great White North is absolutely mouth watering.........oooooooohhhhhhh I can't wait till I go up this summer!!! Great White North here I come!!
Did anyone ever get a chance to try Crown Pizza when it was in Edmonton. Theeeeeeee Best!!! Total Dive but oh was it good. And Royal Pizza is terrific too. Oh Pizza Pizza!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada