Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,503 times

Advertisements

I would love to see men more involved in breast cancer awareness initiatives. Baseball Second Basemen all over the country should wear a pink glove in the month of October. Beer brewing companies should have a Second Base Beer where part of the proceeds help to provide free mammograms and support other breast cancer awareness initiatives.

Why should men support this initiative? Because our lives, literally, are often in your hands!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I have a pink coffee cup with the ribbon I carry around at work...

Old 09-25-2010, 12:55 PM

15 posts, read 62,227 times
Not to try to be an "ass", but prostate cancer rates are comparable to breast cancer rates but are way underfunded.

"Fifty times more money is spent on research for breast cancer than is spent on prostate cancer. Does that mean there are 50 times more women dying from breast cancer than men dying from prostate cancer? Hardly. Every year 40,000 women die of breast cancer and 34,000 men die of prostate cancer."

I know my mom donates a lot to just breast cancer. There is a lot of money being put into breast cancer research.

Unfortunately, there are other cancers that have been overlooked and are underfunded. There is also a large gap in funding in looking at funding for cancers on a basis of gender (CARPE DIEM: Government's Huge Cancer Funding Gender Gap).

NOTE: I think it is good to donate to cancer research, I was just making a point that I feel that some cancers are often times overlooked and underfunded.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,524 times
I would love to see more women involved in testicular cancer awareness initiatives.

Also, what makes this thread specific to North Carolina?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 PM

427 posts, read 549,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
I would love to see more women involved in testicular cancer awareness initiatives.

Indeed. Perhaps this should have been shot over to Health and Wellness, but who am I.........!!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:03 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post

yes it would be nice for those of us who have had testicular cancer. I support any worthwhile cause that works towards the cure of cancer, and patient advocacy.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:11 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgo View Post
Not to try to be an "ass", but prostate cancer rates are comparable to breast cancer rates but are way underfunded.

"Fifty times more money is spent on research for breast cancer than is spent on prostate cancer. Does that mean there are 50 times more women dying from breast cancer than men dying from prostate cancer? Hardly. Every year 40,000 women die of breast cancer and 34,000 men die of prostate cancer."

I know my mom donates a lot to just breast cancer. There is a lot of money being put into breast cancer research.

Unfortunately, there are other cancers that have been overlooked and are underfunded. There is also a large gap in funding in looking at funding for cancers on a basis of gender (CARPE DIEM: Government's Huge Cancer Funding Gender Gap).

NOTE: I think it is good to donate to cancer research, I was just making a point that I feel that some cancers are often times overlooked and underfunded.
You're hardly being an ass; in fact your point is an excellent one and I think you for making it. While I'm all for any and all cancer research of course, I'm sick to death of how breast cancer gets a zillion times more money/exposure/etc etc than other cancers. That chart above just makes me ill.

Again I wish the best to anyone dealing with this to say the least and hope all that money finds a cure or at least better treatments, but I won't be sending a nickel for any of it and ONLY because other cancers are by comparison so grossly under-represented and so swing my support there...ie because it's far more needed.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
You're hardly being an ass; in fact your point is an excellent one and I think you for making it. While I'm all for any and all cancer research of course, I'm sick to death of how breast cancer gets a zillion times more money/exposure/etc etc than other cancers. That chart above just makes me ill.

Again I wish the best to anyone dealing with this to say the least and hope all that money finds a cure or at least better treatments, but I won't be sending a nickel for any of it and ONLY because other cancers are by comparison so grossly under-represented and so swing my support there...ie because it's far more needed.
One part of breast cancer that needs more help is in males.
As far as donations; I donate to Stand up 2 cancer which gives to different things.
Brain cancer is really bad; with most, they fight but don't win from what I've been reading.
Pediatric cancer - this breaks my heart. The reason a lot of children die from the various cancers is because a lot of parents won't do clinical trials.

Make a wish is a nice way to donate. At a cancer forum I go to, a 9 year old boy has a bad brain cancer - he is in Disney this week - courtesy of Make a Wish.

Then there is Max Cure Foundation For Pediatric Cancer Causes

The Max Cure Foundation - Roar For A Cure

Old 10-02-2010, 10:52 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Outstanding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer