Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but I am sick to death of how Oct is only BREAST cancer awareness month. Tons of others w/cancer who suffer as much if not more. It'd be like instead of having "Mothers Day" it was changed to "Mothers who have 2 kids or less Day."

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Oh, I don't mind Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but the pink adornments on the NFL's players is a little too much.

In the game Sunday, Michael Vick's chinstrap looked like a tiny pair of pink briefs on his chin.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
I don't mind it at all. I am amazed at how many women still do not know about the most deadliest form of breast cancer, Inflammatory Breast Cancer. A lump is not the usual symptom.

Inflammatory breast cancer: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

I have a cancer for which there is no cure at this time. If talking about it as Breast Cancer Awareness Month does, perhaps a cure will be found with enough resources. I say put it out there everywhere. A cure for one form of cancer may lead to another. Let's kill this beast!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
My mom , aunt and grandmother died of breast cancer so keep the pink ribbons alive !!!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Yeah. It's annoying and doesn't mean squat to me anymore. But I now really hate the color pink.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:44 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
This is a genuine question...I don't mean to offend anyone.

I see organizations and people shelling out billions of billions of dollars to breast cancer research. What the heck is that money going towards?! I know it costs billions to research but do you think perhaps these scientitst and doctors should take a pay cut???

Old 10-05-2010, 01:01 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
Nor do I. I've both read articles and watched a TV program that share when you buy products with pink labels or sign up to walk with your sisters, a huge chunk of the money is going to corporate profits and marketing, promotion, and administrative costs. I'd rather see this money going to the scientists and doctors.

If you want to support the cause, give directly to a research or support organization where you know it has a better chance of doing some good.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I don't mind it at all. I am amazed at how many women still do not know about the most deadliest form of breast cancer, Inflammatory Breast Cancer. A lump is not the usual symptom.

Inflammatory breast cancer: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

I have a cancer for which there is no cure at this time. If talking about it as Breast Cancer Awareness Month does, perhaps a cure will be found with enough resources. I say put it out there everywhere. A cure for one form of cancer may lead to another. Let's kill this beast!
Well said!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
What I find offensive is all of money that consumers spend on products with pink lables, from soup to yogurt, that gives corporations huge profits while a pittance goes to the acutal charity/research.

When you sign up for the organization that does huge community promotions, MOST of the money goes to marketing, promotion, and administration costs, again, NOT to the organization they are supposed to support.

If you want to support the cause, give directly to a research or support organization.
So, if I am going to eat yogurt for breakfast anyway I should not purchase from a company donating funds to cancer research?

www.cupsofhope.com

Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am a breast cancer survivor, and I do not want any part of the Pink Ribbon Club. It seems to me they are exploiting women with breast cancer. Why a woman would want to keep portraying herself as a victim is beyond me. It's like some women get off on it.
I am, of course, always willing to help another person with breast cancer get through it, but in a private way.
When I finished my treatment I wanted to never think about cancer again, not wallow in it and rehash it over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer