Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I'm sorry but I am sick to death of how Oct is only BREAST cancer awareness month. Tons of others w/cancer who suffer as much if not more. It'd be like instead of having "Mothers Day" it was changed to "Mothers who have 2 kids or less Day."

Anyone else?

No..... really trivial complaint in my book. If I want find something to b*tch about, it wont cancer awareness, breast or any other form of the disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 07:52 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but I am sick to death of how Oct is only BREAST cancer awareness month. Tons of others w/cancer who suffer as much if not more. It'd be like instead of having "Mothers Day" it was changed to "Mothers who have 2 kids or less Day."

Anyone else?

As a woman and a woman who has known someone who has had breast cancer, I AM empathetic and sympathetic but I have to say, I think that this pink ribbon campaign has turned into a business and I think a lot of people are making a lot of money off of others sufferings. I'm not saying ALL places that sell this stuff but i feel like this has gotten WAY out of hand. Not only the breast cancer awareness but others too.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see a bumper sticker or little ribbon for Alzheimers, Autism, Deaf people, rabbit lovers.. (kidding but..) I mean really? At one poing do we stop buying sticker and instead invest money directly TO the campaign.

I don't believe for a minute that every single vendor who sells these ribbons, sticker, pins, etc is actually giving their profits to the cause.

Just my two cents...

Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
All due respect, Mom, but that's not exactly what we're discussing here.
Contributions such as you make to specific institutions are lauded for their generosity. But the whole pink movement has been infiltrated by corporations who jump on the opportunity to wave the breast cancer flag and convince people that buying their product somehow brings us closer to a cure. That is the objection we make; that breasts are more "in your face" than colons, or prostates, or bladders, livers, pancreases (pancreaii?).

While certain cancers hit people in certain ways, I myself having dear people who have suffered with and conquered breast cancer, others have no point of connection with breast cancer.

But they DO have a touch-stone with other forms of the disease. I contend that the FOCUS on breast cancer leads some folks away from believing that any other form of cancer can strike them (or a loved one), and so with the attention paid to mammograms, those same folks forget (or ignore) the need for other testing. Particularly colonoscopy. And especially the squeamish who feel that the test is somehow embarrassing and therefore delete it from their areas of concern.

I would never scorn you for the attention you give to this form of cancer. I only pray that you would also attend the fact that men also can have breast cancer. And that only men can have prostate cancer. And that colon cancer, which can strike anyone, can be handled with dispatch when diagnosed early.

Mine was diagnosed at Stage II and handled with surgery and chemo. I'm currently at a little more than a year and a half. But my surgeon tells me that recurrence is possible so I sleep with fingers crossed.

My plea is that you will continue to support the cause nearest your heart, but that you will also remind everyone in your circle that vigilance is imperative in ALL forms of the disease.

While you continue to support your cause, please don't be offended by those of us who have our own cause(s). Bless you.
I understand the point you are making, but when breast cancer is the number 3 killer of women behind heart disease and lung cancer women need to be made aware as do those who love them, they need to be reminded to self check, go for mammograms and know their bodies as does everyone in regards to cancer. I would have no problem contributing to any other cancer cause or buying products that give a portion be it large or small to that cause because quite frankly in this war against cancer every penny helps.

But I don't agree with your contention (the part I highlighted) I feel like it leads those who have suffered from breast cancer to be more aware than ever of other cancers.

I am not offended because people are tired of the color pink being everywhere in the month of Oct, if the color makes but one woman or man more aware of the their risk then to me it was worth it.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
All due respect, Mom, but that's not exactly what we're discussing here.
Contributions such as you make to specific institutions are lauded for their generosity. But the whole pink movement has been infiltrated by corporations who jump on the opportunity to wave the breast cancer flag and convince people that buying their product somehow brings us closer to a cure. That is the objection we make; that breasts are more "in your face" than colons, or prostates, or bladders, livers, pancreases (pancreaii?).

While certain cancers hit people in certain ways, I myself having dear people who have suffered with and conquered breast cancer, others have no point of connection with breast cancer.

But they DO have a touch-stone with other forms of the disease. I contend that the FOCUS on breast cancer leads some folks away from believing that any other form of cancer can strike them (or a loved one), and so with the attention paid to mammograms, those same folks forget (or ignore) the need for other testing. Particularly colonoscopy. And especially the squeamish who feel that the test is somehow embarrassing and therefore delete it from their areas of concern.

I would never scorn you for the attention you give to this form of cancer. I only pray that you would also attend the fact that men also can have breast cancer. And that only men can have prostate cancer. And that colon cancer, which can strike anyone, can be handled with dispatch when diagnosed early.

Mine was diagnosed at Stage II and handled with surgery and chemo. I'm currently at a little more than a year and a half. But my surgeon tells me that recurrence is possible so I sleep with fingers crossed.

My plea is that you will continue to support the cause nearest your heart, but that you will also remind everyone in your circle that vigilance is imperative in ALL forms of the disease.

While you continue to support your cause, please don't be offended by those of us who have our own cause(s). Bless you.
Just to clarify, I understood exactly what the OP was about, and I assumed by typing what I did that the conclusion could be drawn that I was not sick of the color pink for breast cancer awareness, obviously it wasn't so I will answer the OP's question and say no I am not sick and tired of the pink for breast cancer awareness.

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 10-18-2010 at 12:01 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 11:17 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,409,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I am very much in favor of raising awareness for all cancers, however for me breast cancer hits close to home. I wear a pink hope, faith and love bracelet 24 hrs a day, I have a pink ribbon on my license plate, I donate to breast cancer research based on which one contributes the most to research. I contribute to agencies who help underprivileged women get mammograms and for those underprivileged women who have had to deal with cancer I contribute to agencies who provide them with wigs, prosthesis, scarfs and whatever else they need so they can try to find some semblence of normalcy after having their bodies devasted by this horrible disease. I don't begrudge anyone who choses not to, but for me it is very important.
Thank you!!! I'm with you 100% on this subject!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
I found a story for top 10 cancer deaths from 2003 to 2007- link
1. Lung and bronchial cancer: 792,495 lives
2. Colon and rectal cancer:268,783 lives
3. Breast cancer: 206,983 lives
4. Pancreatic cancer: 162,878 live
5. Prostate cancer: 144,926 lives
6. Leukemia: 108,740 lives
7. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma: 104,407 lives
8. Liver and intrahepatic bile duct cancer: 79,773 lives
9. Ovarian cancer: 73,638 lives
10. Esophageal cancer: 66,659 lives

The newest information on estimated cases for 2010 (deaths are to the right on the link) I could find is - link (http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/content/full/caac.20073v1/TBL1 - broken link)

It looks like Breast cancer is moving down in the list.
Have to say that brain cancer stats look the worst for prognosis

Genital system 311,210 - D - 60,420
Digestive system 274,330 D - 139,580
Respiratory system 240,610 D - 161,670
Breast 209,060 D - 40,230
Urinary system 131,260 D - 28,550
Lymphoma 74,030 D - 21,530
Skin (excluding basal & squamous) 74,010 D - 11,790
Endocrine system 46,930 D - 2,570
Leukemia 43,050 D - 21,840
Oral cavity & pharynx 36,540 D- 7,880
Other & unspecified primary sites 30,680 D - 44,030
Brain & other nervous system 22,020 D - 13,140

Old 10-18-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I found a story for top 10 cancer deaths from 2003 to 2007- link
1. Lung and bronchial cancer: 792,495 lives
2. Colon and rectal cancer:268,783 lives
3. Breast cancer: 206,983 lives
4. Pancreatic cancer: 162,878 live
5. Prostate cancer: 144,926 lives
6. Leukemia: 108,740 lives
7. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma: 104,407 lives
8. Liver and intrahepatic bile duct cancer: 79,773 lives
9. Ovarian cancer: 73,638 lives
10. Esophageal cancer: 66,659 lives

The newest information on estimated cases for 2010 (deaths are to the right on the link) I could find is - link (http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/content/full/caac.20073v1/TBL1 - broken link)

It looks like Breast cancer is moving down in the list.
Have to say that brain cancer stats look the worst for prognosis

Genital system 311,210 - D - 60,420
Digestive system 274,330 D - 139,580
Respiratory system 240,610 D - 161,670
Breast 209,060 D - 40,230
Urinary system 131,260 D - 28,550
Lymphoma 74,030 D - 21,530
Skin (excluding basal & squamous) 74,010 D - 11,790
Endocrine system 46,930 D - 2,570
Leukemia 43,050 D - 21,840
Oral cavity & pharynx 36,540 D- 7,880
Other & unspecified primary sites 30,680 D - 44,030
Brain & other nervous system 22,020 D - 13,140
I wonder if the deaths for breast cancer are falling because of more awareness, early awareness brings more chances of surviving.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:44 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
< sigh >

Old 10-18-2010, 06:24 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
No..... really trivial complaint in my book. If I want find something to b*tch about, it wont cancer awareness, breast or any other form of the disease.
You completely misunderstood my post(s). Sadly, you aren't alone. I thought I was very clear - oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I understand the point you are making, but when breast cancer is the number 3 killer of women behind heart disease and lung cancer women need to be made aware as do those who love them,
For example.......

Based on that logic, then why don't we have a "Lung Cancer Awareness Month" or "Heart Disease Awareness Month?" There isn't even a single DAY touted nationwide to either, never mind an entire month. It's quite an unfair, insulting, idiotic ratio.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
You completely misunderstood my post(s). Sadly, you aren't alone. I thought I was very clear - oh well

For example.......

Based on that logic, then why don't we have a "Lung Cancer Awareness Month" or "Heart Disease Awareness Month?" There isn't even a single DAY touted nationwide to either, never mind an entire month. It's quite an unfair, insulting, idiotic ratio.
Why is it an unfair, insulting, idiotic ratio? A group of people got together and decided to educate the country on breast cancer and it has swept the nation, if there is another disease that you feel is being slighted then do something about it instead of complaining on a forum about the overabundance of pink in the month of Oct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer