Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 34,766 times

Advertisements

I always hear about people who suffer because of treatment of cancer but never of any major pains or warning signs they feel before treatment in regards to breast cancer. The only real way I have heard of finding it out is via lump, via doctors after examination, finding cancerous moles, or for the person to have gone so far that it is at a critical stage affecting their health.

A friend of mine told me a friend of theirs lost their mum to breast cancer and it wasnt too long after they found out she had it. Im not sure of the particulars because I didnt pry, but I was wondering what other early warning signs there are for breast cancer apart from finding a lump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,854 times
you are right that many cases of breast cancer are found either by the woman herself on self-examination, or by a doctor during a breast examination (by finding a lump) or on routine mammography.

there are, however, some other signs to be on the look out for such as:

- discharge from the nipple (especially bloody)
- nipple inversion
- changes to the skin of the breast, particularly dimpling of the skin, or peeling, flaking or scaling of the skin of the breast or nipple
- changes in the shape or size of the breast

its also important to remember that unexplained lumps may not be limited to the breast - they may be found in the armpit too, and definitely need to be checked out.

there are some other symptoms of cancer (which, i should point out, can also be due to other more innocent conditions) which don't only apply to breast cancer, but are symptoms which should not be left unchecked, such as:

- fatigue
- unexplained weight loss
- night sweats

regular self-examinations are extremely important, as are routine mammograms over the age of 40. any unexplained or unusual symptom should be checked out by an appropriate physician.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,641 times
Don't forget the symptoms for inflammatory breast cancer:

Rapid change in the appearance of one breast (days/weeks)

Thickness, heaviness or visible enlargement of one breast

Discoloration; red, purple or bruised appearance

Unusual warmth of breast

Dimpling/ridges on breast, similar to an orange peel

Itching

Tender, pain or aching breast

Enlarged lymph nodes under arm or in collarbone area

Flattening or inward turning of nipple

Old 01-12-2012, 07:11 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,389 times
For several years I felt pain from what felt like a lump in my left arm, in the bicep area, but on the side of my arm next to my body. Not in the arm pit. I would feel the pain occasionally, yet I never did find a lump. Also for several years my weight would jump up and down. I was constantly dieting and then would suddenly gain 4 or 5 pounds. Very frustrating.

So, one morning I woke up and my hand went right to my lump. I could feel a "warm" feeling - I describe it as warm because it wasn't "hot" or "burning" pain, yet I knew it was there without touching it. The lump was higher up than I expected - so ladies, when you do your self exams go all the way up to your collar bones. With a bra on I could barely find it, even knowing where it was.

Anyway, my theory - which is not scientifically supported - is that the cancer had been in my lymp nodes all that time I felt pain. I believe the weight gain was caused by lymphedema caused by the lymph system breaking down from the (undetected) cancer.

I had a bilateral mastectomy and had cancer in three out of nine lymph nodes. One of the nodes was obliterated by cancer - I believe it was the one I could feel but couldn't find.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 AM

304 posts, read 617,220 times
I had extreme fatigue prior to finding my cancerous lump. I thought I had a vitamin deficiency. I would walk for a few minutes then felt like I needed to take a nap. I was 44.

4 years of "false negatives" on my mammos. Self exams are a MUST.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
I had what I thought was a spider bite on the lower part of my right breast. No matter what I did, it wouldn't clear up. It oozed and I had to cover it up with bandages before I put my bra on daily. In the middle of this, I went on vacation to Colo. to visit some friends and I was extremely tired the whole time. No energy. My friend and I blamed it on the high altitude but I live in a high altitude in NM and it doesn't phase me. It was time to get a mammo so I went ahead and scheduled it and that's when they found the lump.
I never had a loss of appetite or any other symptoms other than these.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 14,798 times
I am four years in remission i had a lumpectomy and chemo/radiation. For the past two months I've experienced sharp pains in my left Breast along with aches in my chest bones, night sweats that are so bad they wake me up. Recent fatigue and loss of appetite
I can't help but to be alarmed but also think since it was HR receptive I'm just having menopause symptoms

Old 12-22-2015, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,903 times
Ive found a lump or as my Dr said a mass on my left breast.Ive had severe pain and extreme fatigue for over a month.Ive also had back pain and headaches.Ive never had backaches or headaches before.Im scheduled for a Diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound on Christmas eve.Ive also have a feeling of doom.Has anyone else had these symptons that have been diagnosed with breast cancer?

Old 12-28-2015, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 10,857 times
Fmendoza1207: How did your mammogram turn out? I have been having the exact same symptoms for a couple of months. I found a hard, immovable lump in my left breast about a month ago and finally have my first doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:38 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Don't forget the symptoms for inflammatory breast cancer:

Rapid change in the appearance of one breast (days/weeks)

Thickness, heaviness or visible enlargement of one breast

Discoloration; red, purple or bruised appearance

Unusual warmth of breast

Dimpling/ridges on breast, similar to an orange peel

Itching

Tender, pain or aching breast

Enlarged lymph nodes under arm or in collarbone area

Flattening or inward turning of nipple
good response dtr had 3 of these for dx of her ibc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer