Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

California Gal - I would NOT wait another 6 months. If doctors say it's the mass they don't like to see then why are they telling you to wait?

Had a mammogram in the middle part of April, 2011, got the call that something was "suspicious". Went for an ultrasound, then biopsy and received the call April 29th that it was cancer. Had to find a general surgeon who could coordinate with my plastic surgeon for the reconstruction and had a bilateral mastectomy in August of that same year even though it was only the left breast affected. I didn't want to be constantly worried about the cancer coming back and I wanted a matching "pair" of new boobs. I chose not to have chemo or radiation since my Onco-DX scores were so low and so far so good. I went back every month for a while for blood tests checking for tumor markers, then every 3 months, then every 6 months. My last visit was last July.

Then two years ago I had the 3-D tattoos done for my nipples & areolas. That made a big difference in how I felt when I looked in the mirror. Some people choose not to have reconstruction but thanks to President Clinton, insurance companies have to pay for it if a woman wants it. I'm glad I look "normal" in clothes, however the implants always make me feel like my bra is on too tight. I think when I get much older I will probably have them removed.

If anybody goes the reconstruction route make sure your plastic surgeon has done a lot of reconstruction, not just augmentation. At the time of the mastectomy they put in what I call "placeholders" that are gradually, over a few months enlarged with saline so the skin can stretch over them to make room for the implants. My first plastic surgeon was supposed to be the "king of boobs" in my area but he did such a horrible job that the implants looked like two footballs laying sideways on my chest going under my armpits. Had to have them redone 10 months after the original surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer