Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

OP back! Thanks so much for the rest of the comments.

rdflk, regarding buying a plot elsewhere, I know for a fact that my parents will both be at that one cemetary, so I'll have to see about where I'll be much closer to when the time comes.

Have a nice Thanksgiving all. I'll return to this thread again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 11:41 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I hate to even think about it & don't even have the time to think about it, but it's the reality & the time will come eventually & unfortunately.

I'm not in my 20s anymore...almost out of my 30s. I don't have siblings nor kids...don't know if I'll ever have kids. I'm not even married yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually get married, but the man I'll marry is my age too (1 yr older). Neither of us have the best jobs/careers up to this point in which retirement, life insurance, 401Ks, etc. are being deducted from our paychecks. Neither of us even have benefits w/ our jobs. I have health insurance, which I pay out-of-pocket for monthly. Neither of us are homeowners (we rent). So we're not necessarily spring chickens here.

I hate to think what will happen to me when I get old &/or ill, & can no longer work & care for myself. I never thought about it much really, but I'm thinking about it now, which is why I'm starting a thread.

What the heck am I going to do when I get old? It truly is a scary & unsettling feeling.
No. Nor am I unsettled. I'll live on my own until I either die or am incapable. Then I'll either be committed to or choose to move into an assisted living facility. When I die, I could care less what is done with my corpse. I'll have no use for it or say in it. Done and gone.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:54 AM

128 posts, read 201,680 times
try going to church to find a siginficant other

Old 11-30-2014, 05:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
This is why Long Term Care Insurance exists, so you don't have to worry about it.
We bought it in our 40s while younger and healthy, because later on it can be very expensive or not available at all if your health starts to deteriorate. After what we went through with a family member who needed care at age 84 and made it to 95, we are happy that our kids won't have to go through the same personal and financial sacrifices due to our poor planning. According to recent data, 60% of people over age 65 will at some point require assisted living.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is why Long Term Care Insurance exists, so you don't have to worry about it.
We bought it in our 40s while younger and healthy, because later on it can be very expensive or not available at all if your health starts to deteriorate. After what we went through with a family member who needed care at age 84 and made it to 95, we are happy that our kids won't have to go through the same personal and financial sacrifices due to our poor planning. According to recent data, 60% of people over age 65 will at some point require assisted living.
Same here, once you've cared for your dying parents and see how hard it is mentally and physically on you the last thing you want to do is expect care from your kids. I'll prepare for it, and let them off the hook. It's a terrible gift to give your children, the gift of watching you slowly die. No thank you. I'll prepare for it myself, all the illusion I had about aging grace fully have been fully demolished after caring for my parents. It's a slow and ugly process I would never want my kids to waste a fouth of their life on.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 AM

143 posts, read 133,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I hate to even think about it & don't even have the time to think about it, but it's the reality & the time will come eventually & unfortunately.

I'm not in my 20s anymore...almost out of my 30s. I don't have siblings nor kids...don't know if I'll ever have kids. I'm not even married yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually get married, but the man I'll marry is my age too (1 yr older). Neither of us have the best jobs/careers up to this point in which retirement, life insurance, 401Ks, etc. are being deducted from our paychecks. Neither of us even have benefits w/ our jobs. I have health insurance, which I pay out-of-pocket for monthly. Neither of us are homeowners (we rent). So we're not necessarily spring chickens here.

I hate to think what will happen to me when I get old &/or ill, & can no longer work & care for myself. I never thought about it much really, but I'm thinking about it now, which is why I'm starting a thread.

What the heck am I going to do when I get old? It truly is a scary & unsettling feeling.
I don't think about it because I plan to be in my prime and self sufficient all my life. Either I will be in my prime or I will be dead.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
My Mother had two very good pensions coming in, 2 additional free health insurances in addition to Medicare and lots of money in stocks - since a good nursing home costs about 15k a month - the money goes fast

I plan to just off myself when I get too old and feeble since I have no pension and free paid for health insurance like she had

Old 12-07-2014, 04:47 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
I don't think about it because I plan to be in my prime and self sufficient all my life. Either I will be in my prime or I will be dead.
Unfortunately, that's not how it works. Either make some plans for when you are no longer self-sufficient OR that burden will fall to others.

It's great if you are self-sufficient until 98 but what if you're not?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:18 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
My Mother had two very good pensions coming in, 2 additional free health insurances in addition to Medicare and lots of money in stocks - since a good nursing home costs about 15k a month - the money goes fast

I plan to just off myself when I get too old and feeble since I have no pension and free paid for health insurance like she had
I agree. I would rather die in my sleep as my Grandma did or drop dead on my kitchen floor like my Grandpa did. I don't want a prolonged illness with doctors and hospitals trying to keep me alive as long as they possibly can.

I definitely agree with what you say. However, health care doesn't want you to take matters into your own hands. They will lose too much money. Why do others just assume that everyone wants to live forever just like they do?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I agree. I would rather die in my sleep as my Grandma did or drop dead on my kitchen floor like my Grandpa did. I don't want a prolonged illness with doctors and hospitals trying to keep me alive as long as they possibly can.

I definitely agree with what you say. However, health care doesn't want you to take matters into your own hands. They will lose too much money. Why do others just assume that everyone wants to live forever just like they do?
You can do a health care directive in most states now--maybe all states. So, if you have specific preferences, do one, and when you become concerned about your health, you can leave a copy with your doctor. Make sure a trusted loved one also has a copy.

The thing is though, you don't get to say how you will die. And you don't get to say when, unless you do assisted suicide.

Your assumption that the medical establishment simply wants you to live because it makes money off you is flawed. This is something you can address yourself.

We had Health Care Directives in MO, and we have them in WA. How to find one? Call the local Medical Society, local Library, State agency for the elderly, or go online at your state's website and look for a downloadable one there. You can also get this taken care of at an attorney's office. Look for an eldercare attorney. These should be available though, without going to an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving