Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:45 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times

Advertisements

I work in the financial services industry, and we had a client who was 98 years old. He would call us at least twice a week for help, because he had locked himself out of his account online! We had to conference him in with a representative who would take him through the whole process ("Close your browser now, sir...") of setting everything up all over again. He lived to be 100 years old!

I don't have any practical advice to add, but I'm sorry it's so difficult for you to find a live person at the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:51 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
You don't say how much money is involved, but I feel that anyone that seems to be having this sort of problem, might not be able to handle any amount at all.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:13 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Get him a password manager which will auto fill his passwords for him as well as keep track of them. Then have him give you the password to the password manager (or you can set it up) so you can always see his passwords in case he forgets. The Best Password Managers for 2015 | PCMag.com
Most banks won't accept those because anyone who can use your computer can transfer money out of the account.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:17 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
Not sure but maybe someone has dealt with this. My elderly dad likes to check his bank balance on line. However recently he is declining and he keeps mis-typing the passwords, which is an automatic account lock-out and I end up spending 20 minutes on the phone with him to get it reset.

I am not sure if it is his eyesight (which is failing) or he is mistyping. I am going to get him a keyboard with the large print letters, but I am wondering if anyone has any has dealt with a similar situation?

I am also concerned that the repeated locking out of his accounts presents a security issue. Any thoughts on this?

Appreciate any advice.
try setting up an easy password for him. Like a pattern, 987654qwertyu instead of a word. Just be aware that it might have to have a capital letter in it depending on the banks requiremen

or you can use a first dogs name split up with his former address number in the middle example : sha123dow

or first street you lived on and first phone number last 4 digits in the middle. Ma9876in

Old 03-15-2015, 01:57 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
It has become very difficult at my bank to talk to a live person. I mean VERY difficult. Next time it's necessary, I think I will have to go to the bank rather than just call.
I hear that! I only have so much time during breaks to wait on hold, and one time I had to wait for almost half a lunch hour to get through.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:49 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Most banks won't accept those because anyone who can use your computer can transfer money out of the account.
I use it on Wells Fargo almost daily and have for years.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Get him a password manager which will auto fill his passwords for him as well as keep track of them. Then have him give you the password to the password manager (or you can set it up) so you can always see his passwords in case he forgets. The Best Password Managers for 2015 | PCMag.com
I don't see Keepass in that article, it's free and works very well.

The issue becomes are you moving the problem of remembering passwords to remerbering how to use the password manager?

Old 03-16-2015, 03:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
huh? A password manger simply stores your passwords and they have no way of determining how you are posting that information to a form.

With Keepass the only way someone could use it to gain access is if it was left open and the computer was never fully powered off. There is options for closing it after X amount of time of inactivity, computer goes to sleep etc. Once it's locked it might as well be in Fort Knox unless you know the master password. .

Old 03-16-2015, 05:37 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
What do you mean by accept them? They wouldn't even know about it?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:40 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
What do you mean by accept them? They wouldn't even know about it?
Right.

That poster may be mixed up with a browser auto-fill.

Wells Fargo and my credit union rejected that until I got the password manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving