Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:03 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Right.

That poster may be mixed up with a browser auto-fill.

Wells Fargo and my credit union rejected that until I got the password manager.
Oh. good. I was thinking of getting one for myself, as I want to set my brother up to take care of my AND my mom's finances in case I am sick or something, and there are way too many passwords as well as security questions, etc. between the two of us to deal with them one at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 06:15 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Oh. good. I was thinking of getting one for myself, as I want to set my brother up to take care of my AND my mom's finances in case I am sick or something, and there are way too many passwords as well as security questions, etc. between the two of us to deal with them one at a time.
I like it but you MUST be careful. For YOUR use as a backup it should be fine.

You can let the system remember your existing passwords OR assign new ones. It gets tricky.

The system uses weird LONG LONG alpha numeric with characters passwords you'll never remember.

The "vault" stores all of the sites and logons. You can review your vault, make sure you're satisfied with everything and see your logons and passwords (on LastPass). You have ONE password for your LastPass vault to remember to actually get in there.

HOWEVER, EVERY TIME you logon a site it's communicating with you up in the browser bar when it has "questions" LOL.

You can ignore it BUT if you do something by mistake you might mess up your logon.

I would suggest getting one and using it on sites YOU DON"T CARE ABOUT for awhile.

For example sign up for shopping places you won't use or something. Then practice. Also practice changing passwords so you're prepared. If you don't use Twitter that's a good one to set up a dummy gmail account then use that for Twitter and try simultaneously changing passwords.

If you DO use Twitter it'll be a challenge for the system to know which one you want to log in as LOL.

There's a weird symbol that shows up in your logon from LastPass telling you it's ready to log in for you. In the user id and password fields. IF you don't notice it and try yourself, it can get messed up. Occasionally I have to disable it on some sites because it keeps trying to overwrite me when I may want to change my password or something LOL.

TBH, I do NOT USE IT for my Business gmail/google. I'm terrified I'll get locked out and it's happened to me before with a couple of throw away accounts. Once specifically when Twitter made me change my password and it got all screwed up between me, Twitter and google. LOL

Old 03-19-2015, 07:16 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,041 times
The internet and elderly people don't work !!!

I do this for my father because many elderly people with access to the internet "CAN" get them in a lot of trouble from predators !!!

You'll need to talk about this to him as I did with my father and shut it down, he will understand if you fully explain it !!!

Pop-up browser windows simulating virus-scanning software will fool victims into either downloading a fake anti-virus program (at a substantial cost) or an actual virus that will open up whatever information is on the user’s computer to scammers.

The phone will be his best bet but it must have call id and teach him "NOT" to answer if he doesn't recognize the number, if its important have him call you and you call the number for him !!!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
Keep it simple.

Large-Format Internet Address & Password Logbook: Peter Pauper Press: 9781441315953: Amazon.com: Books

This is what I got for my Dad. He forgot his passwords all the time. No fancy password managers. Just a place to write them down. Ideally, keep the book in a place where people who are coming in/out of the house can't easily see it and take it.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:17 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Keep it simple.

Large-Format Internet Address & Password Logbook: Peter Pauper Press: 9781441315953: Amazon.com: Books

This is what I got for my Dad. He forgot his passwords all the time. No fancy password managers. Just a place to write them down. Ideally, keep the book in a place where people who are coming in/out of the house can't easily see it and take it.
He is MISTYPING, not forgetting.

Quote:
My elderly dad likes to check his bank balance on line. However recently he is declining and he keeps mis-typing the passwords
And it's only his BANK.

For that matter they could hang a huge sign on his computer but that may not even help.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:46 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,567 times
Oh, boy. OP - I feel for you!!!

My dear departed father had this problem. I tried everything. He had Parkinson's, poor eyesight and a bit of dementia, but he was bound and determined to check his accounts EVERY day - even Saturday and Sunday when the stock market was CLOSED! I couldn't tell him nothing had changed since Friday. It didn't matter, he still had to check.

I bought a very large keyboard for vision impaired, tried every kind of mouse, got a composition book to log his passwords. Trouble is, he couldn't SEE the field that he was typing in and would always screw it up. I would visit twice a week and each time would be on the phone with 2 banks.

I don't know if there is anything I could have done to make it easier, but was glad I could be there for him as I miss him so much now.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:33 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,996 times
Would it help if you made his set up bigger. Instead of a monitor you could use a 32 inch flat screen TV. Replace his keyboard with a large type keyboard for the visually impaired.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
I work in a library and have seen many an elderly patron get very frustrated trying to log into an account. And many NON elderly patrons.

They generally do remember the password, but when they type it in, and those stars appear, how are they supposed to know they typed it wrong? Or they mix up the username and the pin and the password and teh answer to the secret question. It is a lot to remember. When you add in not knowing HOW it all works, it can be very frustrating.

lack of confidence is a huge issue.

My mom is so bad with the computer and she HATES calling people on the phone. To the point where she would make my dad make the phone calls to do their business long after he was capable. She would dictate to him what he needed to say, The phone rep would tell him x, which he would relay to my mom incorrectly or not at all, then she would get mad.

We finally put my name on their main checking account so I could manage auto payments monitor things.

I'm going to try the password manager! for me and for her!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 11:38 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I deal with the at my job too. With a large elderly customer base we keep making things more "difficult" for them by adding more features which requires them to login to things and deal with our website instead of a real person. It's the "we give you more by eliminating people and letting the computer do it all" mentality that every business has Initially I thought that this would just naturally get better as the computer generation slowly took over but now I think it's ALWAYS going to be a problem for the elderly because memory and vision and all that good stuff is going to break down for most everyone at some point.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:02 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I work in a library and have seen many an elderly patron get very frustrated trying to log into an account. And many NON elderly patrons.

They generally do remember the password, but when they type it in, and those stars appear, how are they supposed to know they typed it wrong? Or they mix up the username and the pin and the password and teh answer to the secret question. It is a lot to remember. When you add in not knowing HOW it all works, it can be very frustrating.

lack of confidence is a huge issue.

My mom is so bad with the computer and she HATES calling people on the phone. To the point where she would make my dad make the phone calls to do their business long after he was capable. She would dictate to him what he needed to say, The phone rep would tell him x, which he would relay to my mom incorrectly or not at all, then she would get mad.

We finally put my name on their main checking account so I could manage auto payments monitor things.

I'm going to try the password manager! for me and for her!!!
I do telephone sales and CS. What you describe we call "tag team". although we understand why the other party is doing this, it is very frustrating to us at times. Depending on the situation, we must often recite lengthy legalize-type statements, and get a clear, unconditional "yes". We try to recite all that, but get constantly interrupted by the caller, who tries to relay it to the other person, who doesn't understand, so we're asked the same thing over ad over, before we have a chance to even recite it the first time

Then, we never get an unequivocal "yes" Instead its "I can't understand you", "you're talking too fast", I guess I'll say yes, but I don't have any idea what you just said", etc, etc Also, we are timed on calls, sometimes just a few seconds over and our stats tank.

Rather than risk my job, I will get them off the line. I say something to the effect of "I'm sorry you are having difficulty processing this call, but legally I must get your clear acceptance of the terms and conditions of.....I suggest you call back at a better time. thanks for calling" Then I hang up before they can respond. Sorry, I truly understand the problems people face when using the phone,, but I need my job and I'm not about to risk it by catering to someone else's problems. Sorry, that's just how it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving