Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Who am I to judge this woman and this family? I believe that when faced with a terminal illness, people should be allowed to make the choice to die with dignity - but that this choice should only be made when they are intellectually able to make this choice, and I think it's clear that since her Alzheimers was caught very early on - in fact, before it was actually Alzheimers - she had plenty of time to think through her options logically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:45 AM

733 posts, read 853,307 times
I read it.

Appalling.

By the time she died, she had to be HELPED and REMINDED. She waited too late. She clearly would not have killed herself if her ex-husband had not "helped" her. UGH. It's like assisting a mentally deficient person to kill themselves. WRONG to do.

If she had done it when she still had an intact mind, well, that would be her business. But she didn't have an intact mind. Changes the entire scenario. Convenient for those sick of her, though.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:24 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
WOW seasick, the woman needed some help, so what. Would you be less appalled if the family had put her in a home and diapered her?
If you read the article you'd understand that this very brave woman died the way she wanted to go...She was still in control....and it's obvious her family LOVED her very very much. I don't think it was "convenient for those sick of her" at all,..they would have all loved to have her with them a lot longer.
This woman was a courageous woman right to the end.
Better that than tyed to a bed, doped completely out of your mind, sitting in **** half the day, possibly in restraints, in a bleak prison home where you don't even know who comes to see you....if they even do.

I'm against doctor assisted suicide, and this woman proved there is no need.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I read it.

Appalling.

By the time she died, she had to be HELPED and REMINDED. She waited too late. She clearly would not have killed herself if her ex-husband had not "helped" her. UGH. It's like assisting a mentally deficient person to kill themselves. WRONG to do.

If she had done it when she still had an intact mind, well, that would be her business. But she didn't have an intact mind. Changes the entire scenario. Convenient for those sick of her, though.
But she had made the decision well beforehand. She had obtained the drug well beforehand. She told her family well beforehand.

She took her life when the time seemed right to her. Would you have rather she had taken her life while she was still totally functional? And missed time with her loved ones when she was still totally cognizant?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I read it.

Appalling.

It doesn't, when she had her mind about her, she knew what she wanted. She planned, let people around her know.

My dad is in the same scenario and let us know exactly what measures he wants and doesn't want to take. This takes out all the questions for us around him.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:37 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times
I'll never understand why anyone disagrees with the choice to die with dignity.

To me, it's even more of a black and white issue than the pro-life/abortion debate. That I get, though don't agree with.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:26 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,685 times
You must load up dementia folks with coconut oil ,Prevagan and antifugals or all hell will be in their future. This includes Station patientsvin which doctors ignorant that cholesterol DOES NOT CAUSE HEART DISEASE!!! ,but does dimininish protective cholesterol on arteries and around the brains neurons short circuiting them! Be careful the perverted philosophy of doctors can cut by our life short when your brain is turned into pudding .

Old 06-07-2015, 11:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
You must load up dementia folks with coconut oil ,Prevagan and antifugals or all hell will be in their future. This includes Station patientsvin which doctors ignorant that cholesterol DOES NOT CAUSE HEART DISEASE!!! ,but does dimininish protective cholesterol on arteries and around the brains neurons short circuiting them! Be careful the perverted philosophy of doctors can cut by our life short when your brain is turned into pudding .
I know people here promote coconut oil and apparently other unproven methods for arresting dementia. But you guys NEVER provide a source for your assertions. You never cite a scientific study that shows coconut oil does anything except sell products.

So, if this stuff is so amazing, cite your source! Otherwise what you promote is unsubstantiated anecdotal unreliable gossip.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:21 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
WOW seasick, the woman needed some help, so what. Would you be less appalled if the family had put her in a home and diapered her?
If you read the article you'd understand that this very brave woman died the way she wanted to go...She was still in control....and it's obvious her family LOVED her very very much. I don't think it was "convenient for those sick of her" at all,..they would have all loved to have her with them a lot longer.
This woman was a courageous woman right to the end.
Better that than tyed to a bed, doped completely out of your mind, sitting in **** half the day, possibly in restraints, in a bleak prison home where you don't even know who comes to see you....if they even do.

I'm against doctor assisted suicide, and this woman proved there is no need.
I don't think that buying medications off the internet and self-administering is the best way to go. It is only a convenience because there are only a handful of states that allow physicians to assist in the end-of-life process.

But how much of the stuff sold out there is adulterated, impure, etc., that could just make a person's situation worse? It's a risky thing that may not accomplish what one thinks. And why does a family member who is not a professional have to be placed in that situation? What's the big deal with having a professional physician assist in this? They assist when we come into this world, why not when we go out? We don't make that distinction with veterinarians and our beloved pets. I wish someone would explain the difference. I know........... religion is against it.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I spent more than a decade caring for my father. He would have preferred to make the decision himself and die on his own terms. One of the last coherent conversations I had with my father was him asking me to kill him because he knew what was coming.

If I can't be me, I choose not to be. No way do I want anyone to spend 10 years of their life caring for a vegetable version of me. No way do I want to waste all the resources I worked a lifetime for to care for a vegetable in some LTC facility. Or even worse, be a burden to society after my own resources are exhausted. I totally support Sandy's decision and I will go one step further. I, or anyone else so inclined, should be able to plan when they want to die. For some it could be when they can no longer dress themselves, or feed themselves. You get to choose and when you reach that point, no debate. Your caregiver administers the drugs you chose. You get to write your own directives and specify your end of life wishes while you are still mentally with it. And know your caregivers will respect your wishes.

Honestly I think this is much kinder for the patient and their family than what we went through with my father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving