Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 01:46 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

End of boomers from what I've read is "generally accepted" to be 1964. It WAS originally 1960, but they saw the '60-'64 birthrate was higher than usual, so they extended it to '64. I still think it should cut off at 60, but technically I guess most people won't argue too much about it being extended to '64. Also because the boom was soooo long it seems silly to have someone born in 1946 and another in 1964 (or even '60 for that matter) be considered in the same social boom. The first is old enough to be the second's parent.

And personally as a tail end baby boomer, I feel late stagers will get screwed because so many people will have already retired, busted the Soc. Sec and Medicare system and we won't get anything. I know it's not that simple, but I just see a lot of social change looming...and we late stagers could get screwed in the process.

Now back to your local programming.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 02:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Statins are linked to diabetes which is also a major risk factor for Alzheimer's. Your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes goes up 50 percent when you go on statins. She needs to rethink what she's saying.

My mom had to go on Metformin as well. Her doctor was told to reduce her dosage of statins after the ER doctors examined her after a series of falls. They found her doctor was overprescribing medicines for cholesterol and high blood pressure, even though she had never had a heart attack.
Please cite your source for your assertion that risk of diabetes goes up 50% with usage of statins. I have never read that.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm pretty sure the statins play a role in more people developing Alzheimer's.

I took statins for seven or eight months. I stopped because I noticed I was unable to do simple math calculations and my reading comprehension declined. My doctor was fairly emphatic that all diabetics need to be taking a statin. I told her my dad has Alzheimer's and with the way that the statins messed with my brain, I'd rather die younger from cardiovascular problems than live to a ripe old age and end up like my dad. So she prescribed something for cholesterol that was not a statin, but it made me itch really badly, and then she said to take red yeast rice, but that gave me the same issues as statins.

My sister says Alzheimer's is the real zombie epidemic, but instead of eating other people's brains, their bodies are consuming their own brains. Pretty gruesome way to look at it...
I do take issue with your belief that statins "play a role" in developing Alzheimer's. Please cite your source for this information.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:05 PM

Thanks selhars for your post. I found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomers

1946 and 1964. According to the U.S. Census Bureau,[2] the term "baby boomer" is also used in a cultural context. Therefore, it is impossible to achieve broad consensus of a precise date definition, even within a given territory. Different groups, organizations, individuals, and scholars may have widely varying opinions on what constitutes a baby boomer, both technically and culturally. Ascribing universal attributes to a broad generation is difficult, and some observers believe that it is inherently impossible. Nonetheless, many people have attempted to determine the broad cultural similarities and historical impact of the generation, and thus the term has gained widespread popular usage.[/i]

This is an interesting article about Baby Boomers. Apparently there are two "cohorts."

In the U.S., the generation can be segmented into two broadly defined cohorts: The Leading-Edge Baby Boomers are individuals born between 1946 and 1955, those who came of age during the Vietnam War era. This group represents slightly more than half of the generation, or roughly 38,002,000 people of all races. The other half of the generation was born between 1956 and 1964. Called Late Boomers, or Trailing-Edge Boomers, this second cohort includes about 37,818,000 individuals, according to Live Births by Age and Mother and Race, 1933–98, published by the Center for Disease Control's National Center for Health Statistics.[13]

I was born in 1946, so at the age of twenty, in 1966, I could have had a child, but actually I did not have my first child until 1973. I do agree that it is an oddity to think that a Boomer could have had a Boomer child. I think a "generation" should be roughly 20 years. But the Boom generation, as it is usually thought of, was unusually large and sustained.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Hi KA: Mostly I agree with everything you posted but I have to take issue with your statement that the first baby boomers turn 75 this year. I was born in 1946, and I have always known that I was in the vanguard of the boomers, age wise. I am turning 69 in two days. Boomers are the children born after 1945, or after WWII ended. My DH, born in 1942, is not a Boomer, nor has he ever considered himself to be one. However as I understand it, the end date of the Boomer generation is in question. I first understood it to be 1960, but have read more lately that it ended sooner. By the time I was having kids in the 1970s, the birth rate had slowed.
LOL maybe my math is bad. I've always read that the Baby Boomer generation spans from 1945 through 1965. That would mean that the first BBers are turning 70 this year, not 75. My bad.

I am a Boomer but am 53.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
End of boomers from what I've read is "generally accepted" to be 1964. It WAS originally 1960, but they saw the '60-'64 birthrate was higher than usual, so they extended it to '64. I still think it should cut off at 60, but technically I guess most people won't argue too much about it being extended to '64. Also because the boom was soooo long it seems silly to have someone born in 1946 and another in 1964 (or even '60 for that matter) be considered in the same social boom. The first is old enough to be the second's parent.

And personally as a tail end baby boomer, I feel late stagers will get screwed because so many people will have already retired, busted the Soc. Sec and Medicare system and we won't get anything. I know it's not that simple, but I just see a lot of social change looming...and we late stagers could get screwed in the process.

Now back to your local programming.....
As a 1962 BBer, I think you're right. Plus - I have a brother who is a total tail end BBer and then one who is an GenXer. CONFUSION.

That being said, my middle brother, the other BBer and I do related more to BBers than we do to GenXers.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:30 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Please cite your source for your assertion that risk of diabetes goes up 50% with usage of statins. I have never read that.
The warning about statins and diabetes has been around for several years. Recent research placed the risk at much higher than before.

http://consumer.healthday.com/diabet...es-697126.html

There are also warnings related to the muscle weakness and pain associated with statins, and these studies showed that the statins placed the elderly at higher risk of having falls.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The warning about statins and diabetes has been around for several years. Recent research placed the risk at much higher than before.

http://consumer.healthday.com/diabet...es-697126.html

There are also warnings related to the muscle weakness and pain associated with statins, and these studies showed that the statins placed the elderly at higher risk of having falls.
Thanks for the link. I am not familiar with that source, so I went looking for more. I did find this:

FDA Expands Advice on Statin Risks

Actually there are other risks with statins as well. I am one of those who has muscle pain when I take a statin. Therefore, I take niacin and fenofibrate instead. It doesn't sound as if the risk for diabetes is horribly high with statins, but the key seems to be monitoring. I don't like the statement that blood monitoring "might" be necessary. I think that should be changed to "should". With the elderly, I wonder why statins are prescribed at all. It is too late for prevention, surely.

Increased risk of falling is not mentioned in this article, but it is almost two years old. Again, I don't know why an elderly person would be taking statins. Anyone know?

Old 10-18-2015, 09:48 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Dont forget about neighbors, they used to help, today they will call cops on you, or people dont even know who lives next to them. A senile person in good health can just wander off, not all of them were locked up and drugged, it took communal efforts to keep an eye on them, to interact with them. That sort of care would be classified as "neglect" today.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:31 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
^^ That's true for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving