Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:36 PM

293 posts, read 558,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
hmm, you won't take responsibility of your parents choices but willingly pay to pay for other people because of their choices. Ok then.
If you think it's illogical, then you're missing my point. My point is that the responsibility and thus the burden is spread out, as with other services paid for by our taxes. Of course I don't like the fact that some of the people receiving government services are just slackers and freeloaders. I resent my sister who has been on disability for many years when many less able people than her just suck it up and carry on working. I don't like a lot of things our government spends money on, but I would still rather pay taxes than have to pay for the care of a parent. There won't be any family around to help me, so I really need to guard my resources for my own older years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 02:50 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagonorth View Post
If you think it's illogical, then you're missing my point. My point is that the responsibility and thus the burden is spread out, as with other services paid for by our taxes. Of course I don't like the fact that some of the people receiving government services are just slackers and freeloaders. I resent my sister who has been on disability for many years when many less able people than her just suck it up and carry on working. I don't like a lot of things our government spends money on, but I would still rather pay taxes than have to pay for the care of a parent. There won't be any family around to help me, so I really need to guard my resources for my own older years
But then you are counting on you're parent getting help from the government. Hope their income is very, very low because they won't qualify otherwise.

I'd rather guard my resources for my elderly years too but higher taxes, sky high Obamacare insurance premiums, add in my mom who was a 50's woman who doesn't qualify for help and yet I'm supposed to guard my resources when I am paying for everyone else.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
My father is not currently on Medicaid, however, I know when we discussed the possibilities with his eldercare lawyer - we discussed the fact of my father's income. They seemed to suggest, that once he met the other criteria (lack of savings, etc..) through spend down, that his monthly income would not totally prohibit him from going on Medicaid. What would happen (assuming he needed a SNF) is that his monthly income would be redirected to the SNF, and Medicaid would then pay the difference between his income and the Medicaid approved SNF rate.

So, for example - if a SNF cost $6000 a month (Medicaid rate), and a person had income (pension, SS, etc..) of $2000 a month -- the person's income would go 100% to the nursing home , and Medicaid would kick in the additional $4000.00.

So, while I agree that generally "income" is a good proxy for Medicaid eligibility, it does not seem to be 100% true that someone with higher income, can't be approved for Medicaid, if they require SNF assistance which will overwhelm their income and they have no other assets.

Just an FYI for any future readers

Old 02-28-2016, 09:29 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
My father is not currently on Medicaid, however, I know when we discussed the possibilities with his eldercare lawyer - we discussed the fact of my father's income. They seemed to suggest, that once he met the other criteria (lack of savings, etc..) through spend down, that his monthly income would not totally prohibit him from going on Medicaid. What would happen (assuming he needed a SNF) is that his monthly income would be redirected to the SNF, and Medicaid would then pay the difference between his income and the Medicaid approved SNF rate.

So, for example - if a SNF cost $6000 a month (Medicaid rate), and a person had income (pension, SS, etc..) of $2000 a month -- the person's income would go 100% to the nursing home , and Medicaid would kick in the additional $4000.00.

So, while I agree that generally "income" is a good proxy for Medicaid eligibility, it does not seem to be 100% true that someone with higher income, can't be approved for Medicaid, if they require SNF assistance which will overwhelm their income and they have no other assets.

Do you by any chance know if when trying to get an elderly person approved for medicaid to facilitate a nursing home, is any other income besides the elderly persons taken into account? My mother has no assests aside from the SS she gets each month, the house that she lived in was my fathers inheritence and since he died without a will in Texas, then my mother is entitled to live there until she dies but the property belongs to his heirs. She has no vehicle, savings, retirement or anything else but she lives with us. If they took into account our income she wouldn't qualify but like a lot of other people, there is no room in our budget to pay nursing home costs for her. Reading everyone's experiences on here is overwhelming.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:57 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Do you by any chance know if when trying to get an elderly person approved for medicaid to facilitate a nursing home, is any other income besides the elderly persons taken into account? My mother has no assests aside from the SS she gets each month, the house that she lived in was my fathers inheritence and since he died without a will in Texas, then my mother is entitled to live there until she dies but the property belongs to his heirs. She has no vehicle, savings, retirement or anything else but she lives with us. If they took into account our income she wouldn't qualify but like a lot of other people, there is no room in our budget to pay nursing home costs for her. Reading everyone's experiences on here is overwhelming.
While states are different, I believe, that it is only the elderly person's income that is taken into consideration when applying for Medicaid for a nursing home. If the elderly person is married (which your mother is not) slightly different rules may apply.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:02 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:

As far as I know they don't take your income into account when they qualify her for services. Except for the fact that she has more income since you are providing her with free room and board. On that note you need to charge your Mother rent. You can give it back in cash but on paper you need to collect a rent check.

Living with you for free means she may not be eligible to receive full Medicaid benefits. Government benefits such as these are determined by a lot of factors, including income and expenses. You can charge for care too but you shouldn’t charge more than what it would cost for her to receive professional care. Overcharging can also hurt her chances of qualifying for Medicaid.

Once you agree on a price, establish a routine payment schedule and outline everything in a written document you both sign. Sure, it sounds really formal, but it can help protect both you and your Mother in the long run.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post

Just an FYI (good information): How it works

The income limit for Medicaid is $2,453 for an individual. (Nursing Home, Hospital)

Nursing home costs are outrageous so Gov wants people to go home so you can apply for the Nursing Home Transition (also called Aging Waiver) but the income limit to qualify Nursing Home Transition ($2,199 per month) is lower than the income requirements for Medicaid ($2,453).

If your income below the income limit of $2,199, medicaid follows you home, you get free medical, free medication, free home modifications, 20 hours a week of free home care nurses coming in to your home, free medical equipments, free food, rental assistance, assistance with phone bill, life alert system. They do interview family to make sure they are willing to help with their care.

If you are even 1 penny! above the income limit the door is slammed in your face. Moms income was $5.82 a month above the income limit and doors closed. She could not get any help to go home but she could stay in the nursing home.

She was approved to stay in the nursing home (on medicaid) and she would pay all but $75 of her income to the nursing home. The state would have paid over $8,000 for her to stay. If she came home but since her income was $5.82 above the $2,199 Nursing Home Transition income limit she didn't qualify for help. Now $5,82 is not enough to pay for help or her medications when she went into the donut hole. Since that income is very low families in this position (low middle class and middle class are heading for real trouble). The financial responsibility falls on the kids. Do you have family that will help you?

We could have taken the easy way out and just kept her in the nursing home but since she is well aware of everything going on around her.. A 50's woman, who started working from her "40's", a late start due to her era (women stayed home and my dad died young), Hillary mentioned it in one of the earlier debates.... It makes one wonder what other people did with their lives to make less. The poor are now doing better than someone who's worked and paid taxes.

She's not even middle class. Paying for help is taking money from our future, but what can we do. Just keep working paying everyone else's way.... And I'm supposed to have sympathy when our family never took a dime and when we need help we are more worried about the poor who don't contribute than the people who pay the bill?

Yes, a middle class train wreck rolling down the tracks! Stop worrying about everyone else and stop giving your money away, you are going to need "your" money.

Last edited by petch751; 02-28-2016 at 04:09 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:

It costs $8,000 per month to live in a nursing home in PA. Income limits to qualify for Medicaid is pretty low ($2,453). If they have higher income even by $1.00 they have to pay full ticket price (see the train wreck?). If their income is below, medicaid pays and "IF" they have an asset and when they pass if there is an asset they'll recover when you sell the house. It's simply a loan. The poor typically don't own homes so there is nothing to recover.

Our governor Tom Wolf (D) wants to increase taxes on nursing home costs to 6.6%, making it even more expensive.. He argues that the sales tax would only apply to about 1/4 of nursing home residents. 3/4 of nursing homes residents are paid by Medicaid. He argues that the others can afford to pay. So if they make $1 above the Medicaid income limit ($2,453) Tom Wolf argues they can afford to pay the full amount.

You better hope that your elderly parents income is less than $2,453. I don't know any middle class person that can afford to pay that.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...live_in_a.html

- Cash assets - spend down (I believe below $8k) - make yourself poor,
- If the house is still in their name, it's not free, they recover after you pass,
- Depending on state, the income limit for Medicaid is $2,453

Last edited by petch751; 02-28-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 05:04 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It costs $8,000 per month to live in a nursing home in PA. Income limits to qualify for Medicaid is pretty low ($2,453). If they have higher income even by $1.00 they have to pay full ticket price (see the train wreck?). If their income is below, medicaid pays and "IF" they have an asset and when they pass if there is an asset they'll recover when you sell the house. It's simply a loan. The poor typically don't own homes so there is nothing to recover.

Our governor Tom Wolf (D) wants to increase taxes on nursing home costs to 6.6%, making it even more expensive.. He argues that the sales tax would only apply to about 1/4 of nursing home residents. 3/4 of nursing homes residents are paid by Medicaid. He argues that the others can afford to pay. So if they make $1 above the Medicaid income limit ($2,453) Tom Wolf argues they can afford to pay the full amount.

You better hope that your elderly parents income is less than $2,453. I don't know any middle class person that can afford to pay that.

How much does it cost to live in a nursing home? Gov. Wolf spokesman, trade association leader argue over claims | PennLive.com

- Cash assets - spend down (I believe below $8k) - make yourself poor,
- If the house is still in their name, it's not free, they recover after you pass,
- Depending on state, the income limit for Medicaid is $2,453

The only thing my mother has going for her, is she is poor. At the time it was a PIA when my father died with no will, in Texas if you die without a will and the home you lived in was inherited, then that property passes to the heirs. But now that will play to my mothers benefit, since she literally has no assets and because she was a SHM her whole life and neve worked, she draws a measly $1300 a month off my fathers SS. He had no retirement, no life insurance, no plans for getting old. They made no funeral arrangements and I know when my mother dies, my husband and I will have to pay for her creamation.

My two loser brothers will be no help at all, they are as poor at planning as our parents were so this is all on me, so the most I can do is refuse to sign the paperwork if they want to sell the property until stipulations are put in place to make sure I recoup whatever it is that my husband and I spent taking care of my mother and paying for her funeral. The sad thing is, my mother could live for another 20 years, although because she can't get her knee fixed, the time is going to very quickly come, that my house is no longer hospitable to her because of the stairs.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
The only thing my mother has going for her, is she is poor. At the time it was a PIA when my father died with no will, in Texas if you die without a will and the home you lived in was inherited, then that property passes to the heirs. But now that will play to my mothers benefit, since she literally has no assets and because she was a SHM her whole life and neve worked, she draws a measly $1300 a month off my fathers SS. He had no retirement, no life insurance, no plans for getting old. They made no funeral arrangements and I know when my mother dies, my husband and I will have to pay for her creamation.

My two loser brothers will be no help at all, they are as poor at planning as our parents were so this is all on me, so the most I can do is refuse to sign the paperwork if they want to sell the property until stipulations are put in place to make sure I recoup whatever it is that my husband and I spent taking care of my mother and paying for her funeral. The sad thing is, my mother could live for another 20 years, although because she can't get her knee fixed, the time is going to very quickly come, that my house is no longer hospitable to her because of the stairs.
Stay at home women are really putting themselves in a bad place. Back them it was a societal thing. As I said, Hillary mentioned women of the 50's who are now living in poverty because of it.

If she has a house they will come for recovery when she passes. Keep good records because after she passes your brothers will suddenly come around if they think there is something to be had. CYB and never co-mingle your money. Some states have filia laws.

Start learning about medicaid now and her docs in order now. An attorney said he charges $6k to do the paperwork and it's normal not to be approved the first time.

Last edited by petch751; 02-28-2016 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving