Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:40 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,950 times

Advertisements

I sympathize with your circumstances, but I would caution you that just because your mom qualifies for Medicaid in some states that does not mean Medicaid beds are easily available.

Most facilities want at least 2-3 years of self-pay from the patient before they would go on Medicaid. There are very long asset forms to fill out which they look at seriously. Your mother is young so it compounds the issue that the facility would be receiving the low Medicaid payments for a long time.

There is a poster here whose own mother was not accepted in the facility where she worked as her asset level was too low and Medicaid would take over too quickly.

It would be wise to contact some facilities in the areas you are interested in and see what their status is concerning waiting lists and available Medicaid beds, which are often filled by their current residents as they need more care.

Don't want to be a downer but I have had friends who were stunned that they had a tough time placing their parents so gather information before your decision.

Also, check out which states have a filial obligation on their law books (there are many). As Medicaid cuts come more rapidly in the future, facilities in those states have the ability to go after the children to support their parents and their cost.

Good luck and hope all works out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 09:51 AM

167 posts, read 189,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I sympathize with your circumstances, but I would caution you that just because your mom qualifies for Medicaid in some states that does not mean Medicaid beds are easily available.

Most facilities want at least 2-3 years of self-pay from the patient before they would go on Medicaid. There are very long asset forms to fill out which they look at seriously. Your mother is young so it compounds the issue that the facility would be receiving the low Medicaid payments for a long time.

There is a poster here whose own mother was not accepted in the facility where she worked as her asset level was too low and Medicaid would take over too quickly.

It would be wise to contact some facilities in the areas you are interested in and see what their status is concerning waiting lists and available Medicaid beds, which are often filled by their current residents as they need more care.

Don't want to be a downer but I have had friends who were stunned that they had a tough time placing their parents so gather information before your decision.

Also, check out which states have a filial obligation on their law books (there are many). As Medicaid cuts come more rapidly in the future, facilities in those states have the ability to go after the children to support their parents and their cost.

Good luck and hope all works out for you.
Ok. Thank you for letting me know. I know the nursing home part will be tricky as I am not in the chosen state. I am currently meeting with a county case worker to help me plan it out so I'm sure eventually I will hear about waiting lists. I did look at filial laws and that was the reason why I choose Minnesota and not Oregon and Vermont. I know for the nursing home my mother was in, there wasn't a waiting list and they took her in but it was a low ranking nursing home (which apparently low ranking nursing homes are common in Texas). Anyways, I want it be my choice to support cost and not have a state law decide for me.

I know there is a list of nursing homes that accept medicaid in the medicare.gov site that shows a ranking and the beds available for medicaid patients.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Another consideration: What is your mother's prognosis? How long ago was the stroke? Did she receive physical, speech, and occupational therapies? Was she given TPA in the ER as soon as possible after suffering the stroke? What are her present deficits?

At 52, possibilities for recovery of many functions are good in most individuals. Recovery can continue for several years. So while she needs 24/7 care now, it may be possible that she may not need it in the future.

Best wishes to you and your mother- so sorry this has happened and that help is so difficult to find.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Another consideration: What is your mother's prognosis? How long ago was the stroke? Did she receive physical, speech, and occupational therapies? Was she given TPA in the ER as soon as possible after suffering the stroke? What are her present deficits?

At 52, possibilities for recovery of many functions are good in most individuals. Recovery can continue for several years. So while she needs 24/7 care now, it may be possible that she may not need it in the future.

Best wishes to you and your mother- so sorry this has happened and that help is so difficult to find.
She had the stroke shortly after surgery for congestive heart failure and that was around late July of last year. She did receive therapy especially speech therapy. Before she couldn't speak and now she can speak but she still needs some help. The nursing home she was in was in the middle of helping her learn how to stand but now this whole mess happened everything is cut short. Now she won't be improving on anything with the absence of that help. My plan was for her to get as much help and improvement as much as possible until she was able to do things on her own especially using the restroom and then in the future I'll have her live with me. But that is if she improves or there are signs of improvement. I'm sure somewhere down the line when she turns 80 or something she'll probably need nursing home care again but in the meantime that was my plan. I don't know the details of her prognosis and what she was needs.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:46 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
She had the stroke shortly after surgery for congestive heart failure and that was around late July of last year. She did receive therapy especially speech therapy. Before she couldn't speak and now she can speak but she still needs some help. The nursing home she was in was in the middle of helping her learn how to stand but now this whole mess happened everything is cut short. Now she won't be improving on anything with the absence of that help. My plan was for her to get as much help and improvement as much as possible until she was able to do things on her own especially using the restroom and then in the future I'll have her live with me. But that is if she improves or there are signs of improvement. I'm sure somewhere down the line when she turns 80 or something she'll probably need nursing home care again but in the meantime that was my plan. [U[u]]I don't know the details of her prognosis and what she was needs.
I urge you to talk with her doctors, caregivers and whatever therapists she saw about this. It sounds as if she did not receive the amount of therapy she was legally entitled to. Also ask the nursing home for her records. I assume you have power of attorney and are legally entitled to this information?

Is she clear mentally? Can she still read and write (perhaps with her unaffected hand)? No matter where your mother winds up living, knowing her situation - her current needs and prognosis - as fully as possible is very important to making sure she is in the best place and will have the best opportunity for recovering as fully as possible.

A good caseworker can cut through some of this for you (for a price). There are those who specialize in assisting families where geographic distance is involved, and if you cannot easily travel and spend some time with your mother, I'd again urge you to seek out someone who can do this for you.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I urge you to talk with her doctors, caregivers and whatever therapists she saw about this. It sounds as if she did not receive the amount of therapy she was legally entitled to. Also ask the nursing home for her records. I assume you have power of attorney and are legally entitled to this information?

Is she clear mentally? Can she still read and write (perhaps with her unaffected hand)? No matter where your mother winds up living, knowing her situation - her current needs and prognosis - as fully as possible is very important to making sure she is in the best place and will have the best opportunity for recovering as fully as possible.

A good caseworker can cut through some of this for you (for a price). There are those who specialize in assisting families where geographic distance is involved, and if you cannot easily travel and spend some time with your mother, I'd again urge you to seek out someone who can do this for you.
She is sound and is able to make decisions on her own and sign documents and understand. I don't have a power of attorney but since I am her only family member, they (as in hospital, doctors, social worker) contact me and ask me questions and tell me what they are doing and they also allow me to ask for information involving her condition. But yes I'll need to know what kind of care she needs so it'll be easier to know which nursing home will care for her needs best. I didn't know there were caseworkers that specialize in long distance relocation. I can travel and I can probably relocate with her so that I can spend a couple of days with the nursing home staff and sign documents if I need to and help provide information they need for medicaid application. The problem is I won't be able to move to that state right at that moment as I have an apartment lease and there was an issue with her green card getting lost as it was sent to her old address. Now I am waiting for a replacement and I don't want to move until I get the replacement. I don't want to deal with changing her address and risk paying $450 again if I lose access to my texas address mailbox.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
OP -

I suggest that you talk to her mother about her assigning you her (durable) Power of Attorney.

You should not be signing anything as, X child of "Y'; because that does not give you any legal cover.

Another words if they say "who is financially responsible" and you sign as YOU, personally, then it is you who are techincally on the hook for the amount.

Whereas if you sign as "X, POA for Y" then Y (your mom in this case) is in fact the legal party that entered the agreeement, and the one that is resposible for the bills.

I think it's great your trying to find a stable situation for your mom to help her rehabilitate, but please make sure to get the proper protections for yourself in place as well.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
OP -

I suggest that you talk to her mother about her assigning you her (durable) Power of Attorney.

You should not be signing anything as, X child of "Y'; because that does not give you any legal cover.

Another words if they say "who is financially responsible" and you sign as YOU, personally, then it is you who are techincally on the hook for the amount.

Whereas if you sign as "X, POA for Y" then Y (your mom in this case) is in fact the legal party that entered the agreeement, and the one that is resposible for the bills.

I think it's great your trying to find a stable situation for your mom to help her rehabilitate, but please make sure to get the proper protections for yourself in place as well.
Ok. I am not sure about the process of doing a power of attorney. Since there seems to be a power of attorney for each state, when she moves to another state, will I have to do the process all over again there?

Last edited by buzzlightyear00; 01-13-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 01:27 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
Ok. I am not sure about the process of doing a power of attorney. Is it a document that I'll have to get from the county or judge? And I know there are several of POA, one for health and one for financial, etc. so how will I know what to be responsible for.
dPOA (durable Power of Attorney) is a legal/financial type.

Health Care Power of Attorney is separate.

My parents had their lawyers draw up a dPOA naming me as holding that right.

Durable is important, because "durable" survives incompetency on the part of the granting person. So for instance my father is mentally competent now, and I just use dPOA to help him because it's hard for him to sign his name, deal with phone menus to pay bills, get to banks (he's in a wheelchair). However, if he developed dementia the dPOA would continue to grant me the power to act for him, because it is durable.

A normal POA (non-durable) is only in effect while the person granting it is mentally competent. So, in that case if the granting party were found to be incompetent, the Power of Attorney they granted would cease to be legally enforceable.

As far as getting one - your mom obviously has to agree to it (she is giving you the ability to act for her) - there were other discussions on them on these forum recently. Some people have done the paperwork on the online-legal sites (legal zoom) and then simply had them signed/notarized in real life. Other people have had lawyer's draft them.

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't advise you, but I think if you look up information about them you should find a lot.

I just know that without a POA you can be inadvertently making your self financially responsible, and that can be devastating.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2017, 03:34 PM

I contacted the hospital social worker and because she seems confused and not mentally sound right now (it could be because she was transferred to many times in the past 24 hours), I should hold off the POA until next week.

Great. Now I just received an almost $12000 anesthesia bill. The mail was notifying my mother but the problem is I don't know when she'll get anesthesia as the last time she received anything that would require anesthesia, which is surgery, would be from from august. Unless the nursing did something that I don't know about. I don't know what to do with this bill. I don't think emergency medicaid will cover this. I guess things are going to continue to get downhill from here. I've been having nothing but depression since my mother's event...

Last edited by buzzlightyear00; 01-13-2017 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving