Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:13 AM

167 posts, read 189,364 times

Advertisements

As good as it sounds, I don't want to move her to a state that has filial laws which is all of new england (except Maine) plus many other states. Whether or not they enforce it, if I move her to a state and she resides in a nursing home while waiting for medicaid approval and they deny her, I'll have to pay for her time there since she can't. I don't want to risk getting into financial doom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 03:04 PM

167 posts, read 189,364 times
If Minnesota doesn't work out (which in this case is a high possibility), I'll just send her to maine. Their Medicaid eligibility requirement for non-citizens is more straightforward. I'm sure Maine as a state overall is less rowdy than texas.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:24 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,640,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
California is off the list because both north and south are expensive and California seems too hostile (crowded and fast pace) for me and my mother.
In California, she can apply for Medi-CAL as soon as she moves. It will take about a month to get approved.

California is a big state, and not all areas are as expensive or crowded as you think. The inland portions of California are much less expensive than the coastal areas and tick off all of the things you are looking for for yourself.

I moved my mother to California (where I lived) from NY (where she lived) when she needed long term assisted care, and found the services for disabled people to be MUCH better in California than NY. Also, because we have so many elderly people here, there are many options for assisted care and nursing homes.

Some lower cost areas to consider: Temecula, Murietta, Sacramento, Fresno, Redding, Merced, Palm Springs. But there are others.

I know you are short on money, but one of the BEST pieces of advice I got when my mother became ill with a rare neurological disorder was to hire what is known as a Geriatric Care Manager.

I actually used two: one in NY when I was 3000 miles away) and one in California. The person in NY checked in on my mother, reported to me on the care she was receiving, and helped me plan the logistics of moving a severely disabled person 3000 miles away. The Geriatric Care Manager I hired here helped me find appropriate assisted care and nursing facilities for my mother, personally went to the facilities to "vet" that they would be right for my mother's needs, and assisted me with getting her insurance paperwork in order before the move so that there was no interruption in her care or coverage. When I needed to travel, she would also fill in for me, checking in on my mother's care and making sure she got to doctor's appointments, etc.

However, the *most* important thing they both did for ME was make me feel like I was not alone while dealing with this very stressful situation. Like you, I often felt very overwhelmed by everything that needed to be done to help my mother, and it was incredibly helpful for MY mental health to the support of someone who understood and was there for ME when I needed help.

It sounds to me like you need someone on your side in this situation too. Strangers on the i nternet can only do so much. You need a REAL person on your mother's support team to help you sort everything out.

Hospitals also have social workers, but in the years I took care of my Mom, I found that their main focus was on getting the patient out of the hospital, not necessarily to the best place.

So, I would strongly encourage you to spend a little money to buy a few hours with a Care Manager both in Texas AND in the state you plan to move your mother too.

It will be a worthwhile investment and perhaps SAVE you money in the long run by getting you the answers you need in a way that strangers on the internet realistically can't provide.

PLEASE GO TO THIS SITE (it is the site for the Geriatric Care Manager Assocation) and read through the information carefully. On it, you can also find a database of Care Managers in different states.

Home || Aging Life Care Association

Hugs to you! Your mother is lucky to have you in her corner. I know you may not feel this way, but it sounds to me like you are doing a very good job trying to help her and dealing with a very stressful situation. Best wishes!

Old 02-06-2017, 12:36 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,640,495 times
Also, someone has probably already given you this link, but the non-profit organization Medicare Rights has a FREE hotline that you can call for help with Medicare information and questions. They also have a lot of FREE resources on their website that might be helpful

https://www.medicarerights.org/progr...ional-helpline

But again, my hunch is that what you really need is a qualified professional on your team who is working to support you as you wrestle with all of this.

Also, this is important: if you find yourself feeling extremely stressed and depressed, ask your doctor for a referral to a MSW or psychologist for yourself. There's no shame in that, and you might find it very helpful to have a listening ear who can help you work through all of the emotions you must be having as you make these decisions for your mother.

Hugs again!

Old 02-06-2017, 05:02 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,881 times
I hate to suggest this but what if you found yourself to simply be unable to care of her anymore - perhaps you developed severe mental health issues, lost your job, ect. Call social services or go to ER with your mother who is in immediate jeopardy since you are the primary caretaker. Things might fall into place much quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving