Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
OP -

I suggest that you talk to her mother about her assigning you her (durable) Power of Attorney.

You should not be signing anything as, X child of "Y'; because that does not give you any legal cover.

Another words if they say "who is financially responsible" and you sign as YOU, personally, then it is you who are techincally on the hook for the amount.

Whereas if you sign as "X, POA for Y" then Y (your mom in this case) is in fact the legal party that entered the agreeement, and the one that is resposible for the bills.

I think it's great your trying to find a stable situation for your mom to help her rehabilitate, but please make sure to get the proper protections for yourself in place as well.

never sign you are not responsible for bills never ever unless you sign-

Last edited by maggiekate; 01-15-2017 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 PM

167 posts, read 189,429 times
But was there a case in Pennsylvania where a son was billed his mother nursing home bill the moment she left the facility and moved back to her home country? Some states even fine you, I find that a bit scary as I don't want to be held responsible for a bill especially if my mother becomes denied medicaid in those filial states and now I would have to pay for her time in the nursing home during medicaid decision.

I am a remote worker so moving will not affect my job. New hampshire surprisingly required that she needs to be a permanent resident for five years regardless if she entered the united states before 1996 or after.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
Ok. I am not sure about the process of doing a power of attorney. Since there seems to be a power of attorney for each state, when she moves to another state, will I have to do the process all over again there?
if it is durable it is valid in all states-also there is a medical poa which allows you to make medical choices-

Old 01-15-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
can you get a job in either state, New Hampshire would be my pick over the rest but don't just move without knowing. awo has a site you may ask questions free from lawyers- You need to be sure also the home has a bed open some do and some say no
What's awo?

Old 01-15-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
What's awo?
a legal advice line on the web with lawyers who try to lead you for help. AWO I do think it is called I just did a google on it is free

Old 01-15-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
But was there a case in Pennsylvania where a son was billed his mother nursing home bill the moment she left the facility and moved back to her home country? Some states even fine you, I find that a bit scary as I don't want to be held responsible for a bill especially if my mother becomes denied medicaid in those filial states and now I would have to pay for her time in the nursing home during medicaid decision.

I am a remote worker so moving will not affect my job. New hampshire surprisingly required that she needs to be a permanent resident for five years regardless if she entered the united states before 1996 or after.
check out Boston MA and you could live in NH Marian Manor is a good home there in South Boston

Old 01-15-2017, 05:38 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:

New Hampshire is one of the worst states for anything. It's different from the rest of New England. Maine and Vermont are poor, low income states and I don't know how they are for immigrants--Maine probably isn't too good. Massachusetts is expensive and so is Connecticut but there are rural areas that are cheaper in each state. Those two states will probably start their own health care system after the ACA is gone. But we have had trouble getting health insurance for my husband. It's been really complicated but he's been buying it through the marketplace (ACA.) We don't know what we're going to do when the ACA is gone. Dealing with any state government and getting anyone who actually knows anything is really hard and frustrating. It's hard to even get anyone to pick up the phone.

It's a shame that she hasn't been a legal permanent resident/green card holder for the five years because when we brought my husband over here, five years was the requirement before he could be eligible for any kind of public assistance. I had to be his sponsor and had to promise that I would support him for five years if he needed supporting. After the five years were up, he would have been eligible for public housing and probably medicaid.

What about California? They have promised that all residents will have health care even after the ACA is taken away and they are very immigrant friendly. Parts of it are just as expensive as New England but what about the northern part? I've never been there but if all you need is immigrant friendly and health care, maybe it would work for you.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:49 PM

Was your husband a permanent resident during those five years. My mother arrived to the united states since 1985. What is making me nervous about moving her there (new england states) are the filial laws. I don't want to be forced to pay a medical bill if I can't guarantee that I am able to pay for it. California is off the list because both north and south are expensive and California seems too hostile (crowded and fast pace) for me and my mother. I was thinking about taking her to Minnesota. I just want a state with quality health care services, nursing homes, isn't so strict with their eligibility requirements and is a state that expanded their medicaid (the ones that expanded would have at least enough care for their residents and are more likely to have some kind of back up plan when ACA is gone). I just don't know who to contact to ask about eligibility. Getting through with Minnesota was almost like a puzzle but so was for Vermont.

Last edited by buzzlightyear00; 01-15-2017 at 05:59 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
check out Boston MA and you could live in NH Marian Manor is a good home there in South Boston
I forgot about boston close proximity to NH. I know NH is much cheaper than MA. I know she is eligible for medicaid in MA as I saw the eligibility requirements in detail for non US citizens

Old 01-15-2017, 08:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
I forgot about boston close proximity to NH. I know NH is much cheaper than MA. I know she is eligible for medicaid in MA as I saw the eligibility requirements in detail for non US citizens
There are parts of MA that are rural and relatively inexpensive but they are not near Boston. I'm thinking of out of the way areas like the Berkshires out in the extreme western part of the state. New Hampshire has very high property taxes but some towns have lower taxes than others. The further north you go in NH, the cheaper (and more remote) it is, for the most part.

To answer your question, my husband has been here for eight years I think he's had his green card for about 7.5 years. He paid the fees and applied when he first got here. Will he be able to get medical insurance after the ACA is repealed? We don't know.

Another possible New England location would be the northeastern part of Connecticut. It's rural and pretty cheap yet it's closer to Boston than the rest of CT. It's called "the quiet corner." A few towns are expensive--the first and last on this map come to mind, but check out some of the rest. You pay rather high taxes in CT though--there's a hefty sales tax but it's a location that's convenient to Boston and it's gorgeous.
Town Hall Maps (MEG MAPS)

But if I were starting from scratch and wanted to make sure a person would have health insurance, I really would check out northern California. I mean, check to see if there are rural parts, laid back places. I think we tend to think of CA as the southern part and that's crowded and crazy. But there's a huge amount of CA to the north of that southern area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving