Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:51 PM

167 posts, read 189,613 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently living in a ****hole called Texas. My mother was denied medicaid because of a permanent resident credit requirement that the state has. She didn't meet it and therefore the nursing home kicked her out. The nursing home didn't plan her discharge well and placed her to an assistant living boarding home. Now the boarding home does not want to keep her. I tried contacting as many state agencies and none of them want to help. There are no not-for-profit companies at all (in Austin) that wants to help me. They were such in a rush to kick her out that I am now in a mess. I wanted to move her to Minnesota where she'll be eligible for medicaid. She's been legally residing the US since the mid-80s, before Aug. 1996, and got her permanent status since July of 2016 (after 1996). I want to keep her somewhere in the meantime as planning to relocate her and all this nursing home planning will not take a week but at the same time there are no state texas benefits that she can get because of the "40 working credit" requirement she didn't meet. Do I have any other options? I can't take care of her. I don't have that kind of time and money (money to upkeep someone else as I am loaded with student loans). I am her only family member. Has anyone even experienced this before? what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Is it necessary for me to get a medicaid planner or an elder law to make sure if her immigration status/time spent in the united states will not effect her eligibility for Medicaid in a certain state?

Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Closing this thread and sending it to Caregiving. If you need to report a thread to a moderator, hit the ! icon upper right.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:25 AM

3,649 posts, read 3,786,423 times
I hate to recommend another piece of bureaucracy but calling the Texas Dept of Aging, if they have that, or starting at the Dept of Health (usually that's over a Dept of Aging) may be a place to start. There is a position called the "Ombudsman." That person is often very knowledgeable about what services are available and who is best in your mother's area.

Sometimes the Senior Center in a town has social workers or knows of social workers.

And, not knowing your mother's situation, it is not unusual to be denied Medicaid because of disability if the person is not above retirement age. You didn't say her age.

Bottom line: I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. It is quite difficult to navigate benefits and services.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I hate to recommend another piece of bureaucracy but calling the Texas Dept of Aging, if they have that, or starting at the Dept of Health (usually that's over a Dept of Aging) may be a place to start. There is a position called the "Ombudsman." That person is often very knowledgeable about what services are available and who is best in your mother's area.

Sometimes the Senior Center in a town has social workers or knows of social workers.

And, not knowing your mother's situation, it is not unusual to be denied Medicaid because of disability if the person is not above retirement age. You didn't say her age.

Bottom line: I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. It is quite difficult to navigate benefits and services.
I contacted them too and they weren't helpful too. I also contacted the state senate but I never heard from them. She is 52 and she is disabled as she had a stroke a month after she was granted permanent resident status.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:18 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
Is it necessary for me to get a medicaid planner or an elder law to make sure if her immigration status/time spent in the united states will not effect her eligibility for Medicaid in a certain state?
Given the issues you're facing, I would say that getting *competent* legal advice would be helpful.

However medicaid is administered state by state, so unfortuately it might mean a lawyer that can help you deal with the texas mess (To buy time) and then another lawyer more familiar with the state you are hoping to move your mother to.

As far as "time" to deal with it, depending on your working situation - FMLA should cover situations like this. Of course FMLA has to be applied for (and granted) and the time it offers is upaid.

Really sorry you're going through all this. Medicaid seems very mercurial (because each state can create whatever obstacles/requirements it wants) and I'm happy that so far I haven't had to deal with it.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:41 AM

I'm sure anyone would be happy to not be in my situation. I don't know what state you are in but i'm sure if you have immigrant family members, they are better off not being in Texas. I don't want to deal with multiple lawyers. I am thinking of in the meantime of moving her to Minnesota. Here is a post that I wrote that mentions more details about her and my situation: http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...reasons-i.html but that thread is more about which state I should move to. I already made up my mind on that one.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:16 AM

922 posts, read 792,451 times
I am disabled and used to live in Colorado. Medicaid kept denying me, even though I was sure I was eligible. I finally contacted legal aid (where a lawyer will take your case free of charge) and she went to bat for me.

Turns out I was eligible for a particular kind of Medicaid called Long Term Care. No one at the Medicaid office ever even mentioned this option to me, which I found to be not only frustrating, but wrong.

A few years later, we moved here to Kansas. I am eligible for their state Medicaid, however they have a spend-down, which means you have to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket before you get any benefits. I find this rather off-putting since you have to be fairly poor to get Medicaid in the first place, so where are you going to come up with thousands of dollars to meet their spend-down limit?

I know how frustrating this is, OP. Legal aid helped me a lot, and it didn't cost me a thing. I am sure they must have something similar in Texas?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,520,332 times
You have my sympathy. Is there someone back where she's from that can take care of her?

52 is young! Before you move her, make sure you check with the state on their medicaid laws.

Oregon is very welcome. Nevada - NO! I know someone who tried to move her very sick daughter from Oregon to Nevada. They pretty much told her there would be an investigation and IF the daughter qualified. There would be no reimbursements for the time she was without aid. So mom moved to Oregon till the daughter passed.

That doesn't surprise me about Kansas.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:51 AM

There is no one in her home country that she knows will take care of her. There is no one else that will take care of her and as far as I know, the rest of the family members are either too poor, too old, or dead. I never hear of them.

well my mother is very poor she has absolutely no money coming in. She lost her job two years ago and the stress of her green card approval (it took two years) and the fact that she has to work small minimal wage jobs along with not being able to afford her medication, was a factor to her growing high blood pressure and stroke. I see a pattern that people in states that never expanded medicaid kind of have it bad. I am in Texas and the majority of the south never expanded too. I want to move her to a state that at least has the care to expand their medicaid so that if the expansion were to be removed (this is what I am hearing now), the state would possibly have a backup plan or already have a state run program. My mother has less than 2000 in assets and it's going down each month. I contacted the medicaid offices in oregon, minnesota, vermont, connecticut, north dakota, and new hampshire and I know she'll be eligible there but I want an elderlaw or someone to triple check even though I looked at documents from the health and human services from those states and even called the departments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving