Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
I contacted the hospital social worker and because she seems confused and not mentally sound right now (it could be because she was transferred to many times in the past 24 hours), I should hold off the POA until next week.

Great. Now I just received an almost $12000 anesthesia bill. The mail was notifying my mother but the problem is I don't know when she'll get anesthesia as the last time she received anything that would require anesthesia, which is surgery, would be from from august. Unless the nursing did something that I don't know about. I don't know what to do with this bill. I don't think emergency medicaid will cover this. I guess things are going to continue to get downhill from here. I've been having nothing but depression since my mother's event...
You don't have to pay your mother's medical bills. If she doesn't have any assets, there's no way they can make her pay that bill either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,132 times
How are you going to move her?

I had a friend who owned a jet. They donated the use of it to move sick people/donated organs when they weren't using it. I'm sure there was some write off to them.

You have access to the internet. Check and see if there is a program out of TX like this.

Take care of yourself. I know its hard when you have this huge responsibility. If your mom is 52, you must be around 30?

Maybe there is a program you can get into to give you some support?

Old 01-13-2017, 09:10 PM

167 posts, read 189,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
How are you going to move her?

I had a friend who owned a jet. They donated the use of it to move sick people/donated organs when they weren't using it. I'm sure there was some write off to them.

You have access to the internet. Check and see if there is a program out of TX like this.

Take care of yourself. I know its hard when you have this huge responsibility. If your mom is 52, you must be around 30?

Maybe there is a program you can get into to give you some support?
I have no idea how I am going to transport her. I am visiting with a county caseworker that will help me plan this as I don't know where to start. Texas has been nothing but disappointment in helping my mother. The only thing she can get is emergency medicaid to pay for her hospital.

As for my age, I am under 26 and a recent college graduate. So instead of enjoying post-college years, I am spending it handling something this large on my own. I had to put a hold of a lot of my post-college plans just to get this over with but more unexpected and unfortunate things keep coming to extend the madness longer.

I did lookup how to do other people transport disabled people or the elderly to another state as people have done that so that the person can live closer to the family member but I haven't find any solution. At least not yet.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
OP I am sorry you are having to go through this. Wish I had suggestions or some wisdom to help but what you are doing seems the only route to go under the circumstances.

Good luck to you and your mom. I hope you find good news soon.

You are doing good. It just takes that one good contact

Old 01-14-2017, 02:03 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlightyear00 View Post
I have no idea how I am going to transport her. I am visiting with a county caseworker that will help me plan this as I don't know where to start. Texas has been nothing but disappointment in helping my mother. The only thing she can get is emergency medicaid to pay for her hospital.

As for my age, I am under 26 and a recent college graduate. So instead of enjoying post-college years, I am spending it handling something this large on my own. I had to put a hold of a lot of my post-college plans just to get this over with but more unexpected and unfortunate things keep coming to extend the madness longer.

I did lookup how to do other people transport disabled people or the elderly to another state as people have done that so that the person can live closer to the family member but I haven't find any solution. At least not yet.
Apply for SS disability for her ASAP. It will take YEARS to get it.

You have my sympathy. I became disabled and had to move in with my son, otherwise I would have been homeless. It took us 3.5 years to get my disability through, with the help of a lawyer. The SS person tried to discourage me from applying right away, I forget what stupid excuse this person gave.

Turns out that had I waited even a few days, most of my work history would have fallen off the radar and I would only have been eligible for SSI, not SSDI. SSDI is more than 2x as much for me as SSI.

I struggled for a long time before I finally crashed. My son was a grad student when he took me in. Otherwise, I'd have been homeless and I doubt I'd have survived the experience. I know its hard but your mom has no one else. Neither did I.

Once she is on disability there will be no nattering on about whether or not she has Medicare. She'll just have it.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:10 AM

is getting a lawyer just to get SSI/SSDI? I think my mother is only eligible for SSI since she is unable to work and she has no income. I was going to apply for her but now she is in this whole mess, I had to put it on hold. Now I have to consider POA, SSI, Medicaid.... There is a lot I need to do and thinking about it is adding more stress.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:35 AM

1,781 posts, read 955,692 times
I read your other thread and you mentioned that your mom worked on employment visas for 30 years! I had no idea you could do that for so long. When she was working on those visas was she paying taxes? If so, what is happening to you guys is completely awful! If not, I can kind of understand why she was denied Medicaid. It sucks but the state would go broke if it granted those benefits to all of the people who have been working here for years but not paying any taxes. I agree you need to get an attorney to help you especially in applying for SSDI. I hope your move to a different state works out. She is very young so hopefully she has a very good recovery and gets back on her feet.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
I read your other thread and you mentioned that your mom worked on employment visas for 30 years! I had no idea you could do that for so long. When she was working on those visas was she paying taxes? If so, what is happening to you guys is completely awful! If not, I can kind of understand why she was denied Medicaid. It sucks but the state would go broke if it granted those benefits to all of the people who have been working here for years but not paying any taxes. I agree you need to get an attorney to help you especially in applying for SSDI. I hope your move to a different state works out. She is very young so hopefully she has a very good recovery and gets back on her feet.
Maybe the companies she worked for (mostly oil and engineering firms) were sponsoring her visa. I don't know how it works as I never worked in another country. She attended college, got married here (not to an american though) and throughout her time in this country she has been paying social security and medicare taxes (paying into the system). She has had a social security number and even a drivers license back then. She is upset and feels cheated because she has paid thousands of dollars into something she can't even get. It's as if what was the point in moving into this country. I even have tax related documents from 1985. As for an attorney, the problem is I don't want to deal with an attorney that wants to charge $1000 or several hundred dollars an hour. I have too much other financial burdens to deal with to work with a money hungry lawyer. I probably need help to fill out the forms but I tend to have little trust on people from money hungry professions like medicine and law. I know I probably have no other choice in this situation.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I sympathize with your circumstances, but I would caution you that just because your mom qualifies for Medicaid in some states that does not mean Medicaid beds are easily available.

Most facilities want at least 2-3 years of self-pay from the patient before they would go on Medicaid. There are very long asset forms to fill out which they look at seriously. Your mother is young so it compounds the issue that the facility would be receiving the low Medicaid payments for a long time.

There is a poster here whose own mother was not accepted in the facility where she worked as her asset level was too low and Medicaid would take over too quickly.

It would be wise to contact some facilities in the areas you are interested in and see what their status is concerning waiting lists and available Medicaid beds, which are often filled by their current residents as they need more care.

Don't want to be a downer but I have had friends who were stunned that they had a tough time placing their parents so gather information before your decision.

Also, check out which states have a filial obligation on their law books (there are many). As Medicaid cuts come more rapidly in the future, facilities in those states have the ability to go after the children to support their parents and their cost.

Good luck and hope all works out for you.
North Dakota does have filial obligation on their law books.

Where is her Doctor in all of this. Usually a Doctor orders the care needed after treating an acute condition like a stroke.
And, there should have been social workers involved in her moves between facilities. Do they not offer any help at all?

I too caution you about moving to a different state until you are positive there will be immediate assistance for your Mom. Medicaid is a very confusing system. Ombudsman in the states you listed would perhaps be a call that I'd make. And, I thought there were residence requirements for using State resources? I'd make very sure that if you move your Mom, that she will get help immediately, and not that she'll have to wait 6 months until after she establishes residency.

And, you are moving with her to stay too right? Have you thought about contacting a representative or a U.S. consulate from your Mom's cultural background. With immigration issues being what they are, there may be a gap in services for someone who is so newly a citizen, you said your Mom was a citizen since July 2016. There must be agencies that are working with folks like your Mom. I wish that I could offer more resource information.

What profession are you in? There are more opportunities in MN than ND for many professions. I would suggest that you look at both

Here is a National link for Ombudsman, with a search engine for all states.
http://ltcombudsman.org/nursing-homes

Medicaid Gov't page
Medicaid Eligibility & Application Advice

Medical transportation links: At least contact and ask for free help...you never know...And they may know of free flight help companies.

http://www.angelmedflight.com/medica...FVlMDQodlcQGOA

https://www.mtm-inc.net/

Possible free prescription program:
https://www.scbn.org/

https://www.law.umn.edu/center-new-americans

Last edited by JanND; 01-14-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
North Dakota does.

Where is her Doctor in all of this. Usually a Doctor orders the care needed after treating an acute condition. And, there should have been social workers involved in her moves between facilities.

I too caution you. Medicaid is a very confusing system. Ombudsman in the states you listed would perhaps be a call that I'd make. And, I thought there were residence requirements for using State resources? I'd make very sure that if you move your Mom, that she will get help immediately, and not 6 months after she establishes residency. And, you are moving with her to stay too right?

Here is a National link for Ombudsman, with a search engine for all states.
National Consumer Voice

Medicaid Gov't page
Medicaid Eligibility & Application Advice
My mother is not a US citizen, she is a permanent resident and has been so for only six months but she has been in this country legally for over 30 years (working and paying taxes). I know there was a law that was passed around August 1996 and it differentiates immigrants that arrived before 1996 and ones that arrived after 1996. Because she arrived and was already residing here before August 1996, she doesn't have the five year ban for immigrants that arrived after 1996 or any newly arrived immigrants.

I am thinking of moving her to Minnesota (doesn't have filial laws also). I took North Dakota off the list. The nursing home that discharged her the past week, the social worker wasn't helpful at all. Because of their poor planning, she was sent to a boarding home (which doesn't provide 24 hour care) that couldn't take her in. Now she is in a hospital. So far I only contacted the social worker once in this hospital. I don't know how much social workers will help out in this out-of-state medicaid nursing home situation. I thought ombudsman are only helpful when there is a nursing home issue and not when I need to ask general state particular medicaid questions. I contacted a health care department (MNSure) for Minnesota last monday.

I am moving with her but because I am in the middle of a lease that I don't want to break and the lease will end towards the end in September. I am waiting to hear back about her green card replacement (another story that involved her initial green card getting lost while she was hospitalized). I don't want to move and then lose that card and repay 450 dollars and multiple months worth of waiting. I am looking to move her early this year and I move with her later this year. I just want her to be out of Texas before the state does something crazy like remove medicaid completely or something.

I am web development but I am a remote worker so moving will not require me to look at another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving