Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:50 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I have some stray kittens to give away free. I know a lot of animal rights people say not to give kittens away free, because sometimes people do bad things to them. But if they go to the pound they will be put down in five days. If you can't give them away free, are you supposed to have them put down at at the pound?

Just wondering your thoughts on this. I understand the reasons that you should not give cats away for free, but sometimes you have no choice. You can't spay or neuter every stray kitten you find, and you can't keep them all. Shelters are way overcrowded. What do you do?

Thanks.
If no home is found and you can't spay / neuter and keep them, take them to the shelter. Sucks that they've got to be put down but its more humane than what would happen to them if a sicko gets their hands on them. Please don't put them in danger of being tortured. As must as euthanasia sucks, it could be worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Every cat I have had in my 40+ years has been a free cat. I dont ever see myself paying for a cat as there are so many in need of homes. The three I have now I got from a relative that, bless her heart, trys to save every stray but dosent have the money to spay/neuter or care for all of them. The local humane society has helped her get things under control. So not everyone that answers for free cats is evil, but it is wise to feel comfortable in giving them to strangers.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
I don't understand why someone would say, "don't give them away" if you keep them they will undoubtably cost you money.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:59 PM

Ok, I'll re-state what I posted.

If you choose to give them away, do a very thorough check on the potential adopter. Call vet references, landlords, neighbors, etc. Check on the internet for any history of animal abuse. If you want, send me an adopters name and I"ll run them through DNAPets for you.

Those that don't understand why you should never hand animals away for free should read this:

Wisconsin Puppy Mill Project, Inc.: Why we ask that you not give pets away Free To Good Home

Or this

http://www.pets911.com/animal-academy/dogs-101/free-to-a-good-home/ (broken link)

Or this

http://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/anima.../free_pets.php

Old 06-16-2010, 03:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
I understand your concern mrs1885, but around here trying to charge for a cat means almost certain death for the cat (as in going to the pound). Nobody is going to pay for it. I try to make sure anybody I give a cat to is a good owner (the last two have been friends). You can't charge a fee for cats around here. Even the pound only charges like $5 for a cat. We have no ASPCA, so nobody ever gets charged for a crime. There would be no point in running anybody through a pet database because there would be no records. I see your point about them not going to good homes. I'm just not sure there is a good answer in a lot of these situations.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I understand your concern mrs1885, but around here trying to charge for a cat means almost certain death for the cat (as in going to the pound). Nobody is going to pay for it. I try to make sure anybody I give a cat to is a good owner (the last two have been friends). You can't charge a fee for cats around here. Even the pound only charges like $5 for a cat. We have no ASPCA, so nobody ever gets charged for a crime. There would be no point in running anybody through a pet database because there would be no records. I see your point about them not going to good homes. I'm just not sure there is a good answer in a lot of these situations.
Quick search pulled 23 DNAs for animal abuse in MO. There is a rescue(s) there someplace keeping track.

I have a hard time finding anyone to adopt too. But based on the possible alternative, maybe being euth'd in a shelter isn't that bad.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:52 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
It's very hard to screen people - total strangers. There are so many people taking free pets to sell to labs, to use in Crush Videos, bait for their Pitties and for snake food.... how can you tell? Not all of them have tattoos, nose rings, and look like weirdos I'm sure.
Hmmmm. I have lots of tattoos, a nose ring and 20 pet snakes, but also 3 cats (and a dog) who are treated like royalty... seriously, my friends say they want to die and come back as my pet - LOL. I'd be a wonderful mommy to any kitten you sold me, so I guess you can't even judge those who "look like weirdos."

To answer the original post, just charge a small "adoption fee" of like $20, and use your common sense to screen the homes. The fee will weed out people looking for free bait/prey, but you'll have to go with your gut on potential adopters. I think you'll know who is genuine or not, once you meet and talk to them in person.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-17-2010 at 04:00 AM..

Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 PM

31 posts, read 121,750 times
Quote:
If you haven't spay/neuter these kittens, here's the website provides a list of low-cost spay/neuter service in st.louis area http://www.metroanimal.org/directory...services.shtml
If you decided to help these poor babies in the first place, please help them til the end. I rescued 5 cats while studying abroad and brought them back to the US, yes it costed me a lot to get them spay/neuter and the airfare fees for pets. But to be able to save their lives, it was all worth it. Instead of eating a $5.00 lunch, I only eat $1.00, and $4.00 I saved it for the cats. By the end of the month, I could get one cat to the vet. You don't need to do what I did, but if you're willing to help these kittens, there are so many you can do. Hey after I became an animal lover, I also convert myself to be a vegetarian, more like pescetarian because I don't want to be deficient in vit B12.
There was one person on facebook the other day asking people to donate money for her cat to have a surgery. The surgery cost 1200, and a lot of people donate $10 or more thru paypal. I myself donated $20. There are many people in this world who care, don't underestimate the power of love. Let us all unite and be the voice of these poorless animals.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:51 PM

31 posts, read 121,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Quick search pulled 23 DNAs for animal abuse in MO. There is a rescue(s) there someplace keeping track.

I have a hard time finding anyone to adopt too. But based on the possible alternative, maybe being euth'd in a shelter isn't that bad.

Please don't euthanize them. I volunteer at PAWS (pets are worth saving), please take them there. You can post flyers at the vet's clinics, petsmart, petco. People that go to these places are obviously good people, they do care and love their pets; otherwise, they wouldn't be there.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Not gonna work. Nobody spays and neuters. That's why the females will probably end up going to the pound. Nobody wants them.

Spaying starts at $80 for a female and $40 for a male. Not worth it for most people, especially in a poor rural area.

So sad, we rescued a mama cat, she had had at least 3 litters, the neighbors threw her out, I don't know what they did with the kittens.

She was like a skelton with fur when we got her. Repeated pregnancies and malnourishment, it was a wonder the poor thing was alive. We fattened her up, then took her to the humance society to be spayed, cost $30. I know times are tough, but most people can cough up $30 if they really want to, think of how much they spend on cigarettes & beer!

Well, by the time we got to the Humane Society she was pregnant again! They "removed" the kittens, she had 12 embryos in her. Just think, 12 more unwanted kittens. After releasing her from the cycle of pregancies, she's turned into a beautiful, sleek, glossy, sassy kitty. BTW, when we had Mittens spayed, we were on unemployment, guess its a matter of priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats