Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:07 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
i am european and i think different about it...my old cat loves the outdoor,i would never put him in jail,closed in one house.... (brevity snip)
It doesn't matter where you're from. People in Europe keep cats indoors. Common sense should tell you of the dangers of letting cats roam outdoors. Cars. Sadists. Cruel children. Neighbors with guns. Laboratory Pet Dealers and more. Also what of your neighbors? Cats are a real PIA to neighbors who don't want them in their yard or on their property. Cat's kill wildlife and are not native to this country. Your new kitten also needs to be tested for contagious virus diseases that don't show up for months. He needs his shots to protect him if he's clean. Keeping cats indoors is not keeping them in prison unless you live in a one room apartment with no furniture and he/she has no cat toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:22 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
i grew up in such places in europe too..so we are talking different languages,because you can not imagine,how is it like...and i can tell you,it is very safe and peacefull and beautiful...they do not pay millions for nothing,believe me...in such a place is not harsh reality outside,i am sorry this is the truth...at least nothing,what a cat could not handle
Bub...what leads you to believe that people around these parts wouldn't have a concept about your way of life? Quite presumptuous, no?

Maybe this should be a call out to all of the shelters who think that an "ideal home" is one where someone is home 24/7. Apparently, the OP lives in the land of the "ladies who lunch". I shudder to think, however, that this attitude about having cats roam is commonplace in that land, as are the toy dogs in their mistress's purse.

Chihuahuas in purses and cats roaming. Quite a lovely land, I'm sure.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I know Napa all to well. I have lived there 3 different times. I'm sure your familiar with Silverado Trail? Guess what...cars, mountain lions, and coyotes...frequent that area and all around the Napa Valley. Impress us you do not. You want to make excuses for letting your cat out...fine....but don't give us the garbage about how safe your neighborhood is.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
kakers ..never to return..no,they have excellent orientation and we moved form north to south...he learnt fast his new home and environment...they are much smarter then you imagine...but like i said,if i lived in a bad environment..........
You are totally deluded if you think you wont have "rich" people in your oh-so-good environment, your rich community who poison cats or shoot them or trap them to get rid of them. Some people, rich or not, are devout bird-watchers. They don't want your cat killing song birds or crapping in their gardens. I lived in just such a community of "financially comfy people" and the rich upper class person poisoning cats and dogs was never found. Also what gives you the right to impose your cats on your neighbors? I know for a fact not everyone likes and will tolerate wandering cats. And for sure you are deluded if you think most people believe as you do and let their cats out to wander the neighborhood. The better the neighborhood the less stray and lose animals you see running around. Don't assume the others on this Forum are welfare recipients.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:39 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Ok, I'm sure I'm talking to a brick wall here, but what better things do I have to do on a Saturday afternoon??

Do you not realize that you have a responsibility to your older cat? You took him in and then, from what you have said, have basically tossed him aside when your hubby-wubby decided to get another kitten. (I'm just thinking about the time and energy I have spent trying to *teach* my puppy that he shouldn't bother my older cat.) It is your responsibility to establish the heirarchy. My older cat is 15 and my younger one still waits until he is finished before he starts eating. And, now my puppy will come to realize that he falls last on the list. I would NEVER think of doing it any differently. That is just simply NOT FAIR.

Whether or not you decide to let the cat out (and that has been beaten to death here), is irrelevant when you decide that it's out with the old, and in with the new. Just curious...I don't know if you have human offspring...but if you do, would you even consider having this mentality with them? What would your older child think when you bring in the new one and let them usurp all of the territory? And, no, your socio-economic class has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I know Napa all to well. I have lived there 3 different times. I'm sure your familiar with Silverado Trail? Guess what...cars, mountain lions, and coyotes...frequent that area and all around the Napa Valley. Impress us you do not. You want to make excuses for letting your cat out...fine....but don't give us the garbage about how safe your neighborhood is.
I'd also point out that leaving domesticated cats out to wander is very dangerous to wildlife in the area. Birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, and other small wild critters are all at risk. Cats hunt not to just feed themselves but for recreation. Therefore leaving domesticated cats outside is indeed interfering with nature.

I feel badly for the older cat who is now being displaced by the new kitten. Perhaps there is a way to train this young kitten not to be agressive? A leash perhaps and a correction when it goes to chase of cat #1?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:14 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Don't you people see that you are wasting your precious breath with buba? Evidently she doesn't care if her children are slowly being poisoned every time they touch their cat, due to the fact that same darn cat has been strolling through chemically sprayed lawns, chemically sprayed gardens, walked across weed control poisons in perfectly manicured gardens and lawns. Much less, being responsible for the slow and painful death of her cat.

Or, don't tell me. OP's upscale beautiful fairy land stands behind "GREEN" and uses all organic and safe products on lawns and gardens. And this fairy tale of course, will have a happy ending. Yes?

And my humble guess is OP has absolutely zip idoa of an idea how precious felines truly are. Actions do speak volumes! Get real~!

HUMPH!!!!

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 07-17-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I'm truly disgusted. Having a million dollar home in an affluent neighborhood has nothing to do with the happiness of a cat...and if I ever dared take any of my cats to a "salon" they'd probably never forgive me. Allowing a new kitten to usurp the older one is beyond unfair. Calling indoor cats "prisoners" is condescending and untrue...one of my cats was abandoned on the street, and he wouldn't go back out there if you paid him in tuna!

So the OP believes those of us who don't live in "beautiful" enough neighborhoods shouldn't have pets? That we are somehow doing them a great injustice by allowing them to live INSIDE the house with us instead of outside and/or in the garage? Unbelievable. Just...WOW.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 AM

541 posts, read 1,340,044 times
i am very happy ,they both are friends now...they eat from the same place and sleep very close to each other,they run after each other (to play),my old cat is not that old (around 2),that is why,they adjusted so fast...it did not take a long time to get used to each other..i trusted them and the vet was right..so,it was nothing taken away from the old cat,in the opposite,his environment was enriched..he got a new friend,brother and there is enough love for both of them...why you prefer to see the things in such a bad light,when they are not??..just give your animals the freedom to handle the sitaution themselve withouht you interfare..if the little chased the big one,i did not interfare...i just let them to solve it their own way and they did...they got finally tired of chasing,they got used to each other,they smelled each other,they got close to each other and they accepted each other...

regarding indoor,outdoor,i have my opinion and i will not change it..i experienced,i lived it and this is the best proof for me..
facts,not bla bla bla..bla bla bla..
and facts are:my neighborhoods are very safe ,my cat enjoyed the liberty and his freedom,the neighborhs are great (please no exageration...people form napa valley are absolutely great..no mean cat hater neighborhs.no poison,no shoot,come on people,my cat would have been already dead..never heart of soemthing like this in THAT neighborhood..stopp the exagerations..cats were everywhere outside,because not to let them enjoy such a paradise it is stupid and selfish...)..

now with the birds..generally all the cats had bells at their neck..so when the birds heart the sound of the bell,they fly away...the cats could not be sucessful,birds are warned on time...

luvmycat..having a million dollar home has also nothing to do with the unhappiness of the cat..also you would like to have this way,but sorry the facts are different..these pets get access to the best vet care,the best,safest environment and.... also you are not capable to accept this and i do not really understand why????,to a lot of love,do you understnd LOVE...do you not think that people in such environmnet have kids and also time to get their pets a lot of attention and love...your image about rich people is mean people,not capable of love their pets,not capable of make their pets happy..how absurd and stupid is such a thought!!!!!why whould these people not being capable of give their pets love and atention???????..you have such a disturbed image from these people...i tell you the facts..yes,they are rich,they have seven digits houses and yes they love their pets and they make everythign to make them happy and their pets are happy!!accept it,it is the truth!!the cats in napa in that neighborhhod were very happy and got the best care and the best love,epsecially form the kids around!!and if you think rich kids are not capable of giving love to their pets,this is just stupid and has nothing to do with reality!!!NOTHING!!....
such an image has nothing to do with reality,it is fake,only in your imagination..children are chidren,rich or poor or middle class,they are capable of giving so much love to pets and in almost every house were enough children and granchildren...you just so far away form reality..

Old 07-21-2010, 12:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Buburuza13: You stated that the older cat was being harassed by the kitten, not me or anyone else here, so don't blame us for looking at it the way we did. Almost every first meeting of cats is a bit dicey, but usually they adjust.

Outdoor cats typically don't live very long. Traffic, loose dogs, wild predators, etc. eventually will take their toll. Having your opinion and not being willing to change it, even when presented with contrary evidence, is just unreasonable. I'm thinking of the cats, not name-calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats