Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,927 times

Advertisements

Hi All! Our 7 year old, indoor cat has been urinating in our dining room and now my master bedroom. He has two litter boxes (one on each level of the house and in relative privacy), that are cleaned at minimum twice a day (we try to scoop everytime we see something in hopes that always having a tidy spot will prevent him from using the floor), and that he does use (intermitently with the carpet apparently).We took him to the vet immediately to have health issues ruled out. In fact, we took him to two vets to be sure. They were. Our vet(s) informed us that this is merely behavioral. We're at a bit of a loss. We clean the spots as soon as they're discovered. Use those sprays that are supposed to make it difficult for the cat to find it again. Try to cover the spots to keep him from returning. I'm not putting a litter box in my dining room. It's bad enough that we can't eat in there/have people over for dinner because I feel like there will always be a hint of cat urine. Not to mention the carpets we'll have to replace if we ever want to sell this house. We'd love to try to catch and scare him in the act, but he does it when we're at work and/or sleeping. I'd hate to have to lock him up when we're doing either. 16 hours trapped in a laundry room seems sad, but at this point I'm not sure what else to do. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I see nobody else posted on this yet. I don't have firsthand experience with this, but some ideas based on what I've picked up over time:

He is neutered right? (If not, that would be the first thing to try.)

Only cat in the house? So this is not induced by interaction with other cats?

Scaring him in the act wouldn't be effective. Cats don't respond well the negative reinforcement. The only thing to do when catching him is to take him to the litter box. Also, positive reinforcement like treats after successfully using the litter box might have an effect, I suppose.

Any changes to the types of boxes or type of litter recently? Or locations? This could contribute to such a problem.

There's a litter called Cat Attract that you can try. Meant to do what the name says.

Any other significant changes to the house? Remodeling, etc? Sometimes change in environment sets things off.

Confining to a smaller space to try to retrain is potentially an option, if there seems to be nothing else left.

Just some thoughts.

Oh! At work and sleeping, is it a separation thing? Do you close him out of the bedroom when sleeping? Not saying you shouldn't do that (I did that with my cat for years) but it might explain why it only happens then. It seems really odd that he wouldn't ever, not once, while you're at home....

Hope this prompts some other suggestions for you.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 AM

157 posts, read 587,593 times
hi, I'm just wondering if the Vets have ruled out FLUTD for certain...b/c this is the most common health issue for cats and often the reason for inappropriate elimination. I will send you an excellent article on urinary tract issues and tests...
Accurately Diagnosing Bacterial Urinary Infection in Cats

Do you clean the area that was pee'd on with an enzyme cleaner to remove all the scent(from kitties noses which are much keener than ours)?

I have a male that I've gone the Vet/tests route and all the cleaners and tried everything possible over the past 2 years of him peeing.....even homeopathy, with NO luck.
out of complete desparation 3.5 months ago I decided to give another homeopathy prep a try....it depends on finding out WHAT IS STRESSING KITTY OUT...to get the right essence. this last one has worked now for over 3 months...Nemo has never gone 3 months without peeing before!!!!!
Its called SUNFLOWER and is for fear(he has always been a bit timid) this prep has alcohol so its necessary to prepare by adding just a few drops into a vial with boiled water...than I give him a few drops of this 1-2x per day...I will send you the link to where I buy it from..but again it depends on you finding out what is CAUSING his behavioral issue than buying the correct extract to use....is it fear? than try this Sunflower. I can help with recommending for other behaviors as well if you don't believe its fear at the root of his problem.....I am truly amazed at how this has 'so far' worked with Nemo

Flower Essence Services, Sunflower, Flower Essence, 1 fl oz (30 ml) - iHerb.com

Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
I have 2 friends that had same problems. One actually got a pet therapist and it worked really well. She suggested the Cat Attracked litter, as stated above, and it worked for both friends and their cats.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Make sure your vet tested for all of the following: bacterial infection, kidney stones, crystals in the urine, FLUTD (which often doesn't have overt signs), anal gland impaction, and constipation (when they strain they can leak urine)

If he really is clear for all of that- does he tend to do urinate always on the same spot? Does he urinate on dropping clothing or other items that carry a strong odor on them?

If he's doing it only on the carpeting and always in the same spot, you can put down tinfoil for a few weeks. They tend not to like the sensation and will avoid it.

Also, even though he has used the box for 7 years, cats can kind of change their minds out of the blue. You might want to try different litters (and do Cat Attract a try), and take the cover off one of the boxes if they are both covered.
'
In the end, you might need to do retraining- confine him the smallest room you can (a bathroom typically works) with his box for at least one week. Then start letting him have more freedom gradually, but only while you watch him. If he goes another week without missing the box, you let him access alone to one room at a time until he earns the house back.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
Default Cat Issues

Im having a problem with my cat urinating everywhere as well. I do habe alot of remodeling going on in the house, but it doesnt seem to effect her, she still comes through the construction area with no problem. Shes peeing in areas that are finished as well as old areas. Any suggestions?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
oh it sounds like it's affecting her all right, she's telling you by peeing around! Ok, have you taken her to the vet to rule out anything medical? That's step #1. And litterbox(es) are sufficiently clean and numerous to the number of cats you have, that's step #1.5. If that's clear, then it's behavioral. Cats don't like change. some really don't like change. I'm sure she comes through the construction area, partly to see what is there so she can keep tabs on it. I catch mine staring at different areas in the room - so they can memorize everything they see!

We're going through some of the same with our adoptee. He's been part of the household for a year now and is fine with all the boys. He's finally getting ok with the girl, but her situation with one of the boys is very stressful, and we travel a lot which apparently he doesn't like. So.. we now have 2 feliway diffusers: one upstairs near the bed (he's been peeing on my pillows of late) and just tonight put one in the dining room. We also have litter boxes in the dining room, because that's the only place we can put 3! luckily we use a good litter and I scoop a lot; it's rally only too stinky when it's just been used

You might try a diffuser, we found that while the feliway brand cost about $50.. there was another brand that had the identical diffuser and the identical bottle of feliway brand pheramone, for "only" $30. such a deal. Hopefully it will take care of the other two's fighting issues which may be adding to our 'bad guys' stress. But don't think that she's not wigged out by the construction, she probably is unsettled by all the change.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:48 AM

120 posts, read 167,323 times
Mine urinates when stressed. Did you change something in your environment? Any change is stressful for a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats